ok so im starting a studio need help!!!!!

melovine

Feb 10, 2009
so at the moment i own a mac book pro, a presonus fp-10(firepod), a fair amount of mics, a set of krk8s, basically ive been mixing off of garageband and im about to pick up logic 8. Basically i need opinions on what direction i should go in as far as gear goes. Should i get a nice mic preamp(LA610,vintechx73i,ect...) maybe a set of plugins (waves gold bundle,waves ssl 4000 bundle) possibly a new interface, or anything else i might be missing.

im recording a 4 piece rock metal band from houston.

check out some of our stuff on our myspace it was recorded on a SSL board.
www.myspace.com/melovine

It seems like you have decent enough gear to get started. Most guys would suggest some room treatment next.

First reflection points and corners. Many would disagree but FRP is the first and most important thing to do. Corners afterwards, but do both because you will never regret it.

Joe

are there any good websites to check out that teach you about that?

also if i go with a preamp next any good suggestions? im looking for a real strong clear signal kinda 36 crazyfist style.

men...if you are starting a studio with that equipment
you are very very lucky

i wish i had that equipment :(

i think you should check universal audio plugins before going into waves stuff (i think its far better)

p.s: the stuff on your myspace sound really good

thanks any particular plugin from UA that i should look at first?

you have to buy a dsp card to run the plugins(the plugins comes with the card) . Depend of what card you buy you will have certain plugins.
(for what i know:S...someone correct me if im wrong)

The compressor 1176 is really really good
i heard the UAD De-esser is pretty good.
The eqs are great

i dont have this plugins nowadays but i will get them as soon as i can
(i hate being a poor student :cry:)

(sorry if there´s something wrong with the english)

No, but I would steer clear of waves because there are better plugins that are less militant and restricting of the honest user than waves, and are much cheaper.

Joe

No, but I would steer clear of waves because there are better plugins that are less militant and restricting of the honest user than waves, and are much cheaper.

Joe

I have never felt restricted with my iLok dongle. For what it's worth melovine, Waves make a bunch of my go-to plug-ins, and they sound great. As for colorful plug-ins, there are a lot of people here who like the Waves SSL and API bundles, but I personally have not yet tried them. I'm afraid that I'll use the demos and then end up liking them so much that I have to buy them too, so I've still been putting it off! Also, I would highly recommend Metric Halo Channelstrip.

a couple of questions...

this channel strip, does is it really an upgrade compared to lets say logic pro eqs and stuff, also, does it require any pci slots or is it just a program?

i know sneap said he used those channelstrips on almost all of his drums, what is going to do for me, sorry for the random questions im quite a noob when it comes to this stuff, tryin to learn though.