OK so ... Kamelot -The Chance - Poughkeepsie

razoredge

Jul 22, 2007
Kamelot kicked ass last night. 2 encores, 2 hours of music. Everyone in that band is a class act performer, not a slack moment. Khan delivers as good live as in the studio. Volumn and sound quality was better for the Kamelot show than the Symphony X show but the opening acts for Sym X had better sound than opening acts for Kamelot. I still think bass boosters & subs suck, they were needed 15 years ago but today soundmen abuse them. Kicks drums should not rule the show and drown out the bass and guitar pedals and bury the mids and highs but they do.

$20, 5 bands, around 5 hours.

Missed Lazarus

Shadow Image is a local Hudson Valley band, highly inspired by Symphony X, maybe too much so, maybe some early Fates Warning & Dream Theater influence. Can be checked out here http://www.shadowimageband.com/ The bass player was the highlight of that show. Guitar and Keys were buried in the mix.

Within Another was a more straight up metal band with great vocalist and dual guitar work

Leaves Eyes is another Opera Soprano fronted band that sounded great at first but after 2-3 songs you realize shes still singing the same melody. Nearly no instrumental work, second growling frontman added a bit of an interesting twist & counterpoint. Great performers, trapped in same old same ol'

** I know theres a few Kamelot fans here and no Kamelot forum so I figured I'd post this incase a show comes to your area, I would highly recommend going. I hope linking to Shadow Image is OK too. They also opened for Symphony X at The Chance last month.

Cool ! Well dont miss it if theres anyway possible. These guys delivered. Great crowd feedback, the show was definantly alive.

Set list, I am of no use on. Im only fimiliar with Epica and Black Halo. Thats through borrowing them or listening to them with elsewhere. I dont identify by song titles, usually even when I talk to friends about particular songs I have to hunt them down on the CD or Tape till I hear the song Im talking about and say ... "yea this is the one" ... dont know why but thats how Ive always been. I rarely pay attention to lyrics or memorize them either so that may be why. I'm about the mood and delivery. I know the final encore was March of Mephisto so keep them on the stage till they play it. I have a feeling two encores might be common for them because the stage lights did not come on after they left the second time(first encore). THe big final arm in arm bow was not till after the second encore either.

They played at least 3 or 4 new songs, one in the encore. I recogonized alot from Black Halo and Epica. The growling front man from Leaves Eyes came on stage for March of Mephisto too.

They did not play This Pain ... :cry: I know that one because the opening riffs were a "must have to hear that again" deal for me.

Either way they were all great songs, two of the mellower ones but it was really a heavy powerful show. They definantly came up more than a few points on my scale and I already liked them.

I've said it many times before: Siege Perilous and Karma are the two best kamelot albums. After that... meh.

Leave's Eyes was ok on Vinland Saga (had some decent tracks), but i've heard they just suck live. The growling frontman (just as an fyi) is Alexander Krull, husband of Liv Kristine (singer). He's in Atrocity as well, which is a band that shares all members of Leaves Eyes. So essentially, Leaves Eyes is Atrocity plus Liv Kristine.

more_you_know1.jpg

Music is not a race or a sport. So why compare the artists or bands all the time? "This beats that" or sth. Khan and Allen uses quite different vocal techniques and they also convey quite different emotions. If you can't understand that in their voice, Just look at their mimics and jests while singing, and try to feel the difference. And if Khan's high notes are not as powerful as some others, who can use his lows as effective as Khan? Believe me, there are not many ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEJ9tCdQVwE

I don't think it was a comparison of style so much as saying "Russ is always on his A-game, Kahn usually fails live". Which is true. I can't tell you how strained he sounded the first time I saw them live (and yeah, i'll admit that youngblood did mention that everyone had been sick. It's tour, it happens), but every performance i've heard from them that's not studio just sounds like he's having to force it out. He's got a good voice, and Karma is still one of my top 10 albums of all time (way above any symx album tbph) but live, Kahn doesn't deliver IMO.

I'm surprised at your comment. Because i've been quite impressed from what i've heard of Khan's live performance so far. John West (my avatar), Russell Allen and Roy Khan are the top live performers for me. I don't want to compare them. But the most difficult vocal parts is in SYX's music, both physically and melodically.. So Russ can be a step ahead than any of'em in this sense. :)

To the person who started this thread, you are absolutely right about the sound . It was a nightmare. The SX show at the Chance was a whole different ball game. The sound staff had the crossover frequencies completely twisted. Everything was bottom end, and that's it. Even Kamelot got ripped off during their first half.

At least someone in the band was able to be heard clearly.

To the person who started this thread, you are absolutely right about the sound . It was a nightmare. The SX show at the Chance was a whole different ball game. The sound staff had the crossover frequencies completely twisted. Everything was bottom end, and that's it. Even Kamelot got ripped off during their first half.

I really enjoyed your show at the Chance with SymX. Best of luck and much success!

Yea, you guys got screwed, I was watching the soundman as you were playing and he was doing nothing. Not a friggin thing, not even trying, not distressed nothing. Im getting pretty pissed off with soundmen. I once did sound for one of our better local acts and at least I tried and everyone could be heard. Bass boom was the biggest problem I couldnt resolve. Bass boom and the friggin cymbals. I always questioned if alot of the boom wasnt comming through the wooden stage floors and up the mic stands. PA systems are better today. Theres no excuse for some of these soundmen.

You are correct that Kamelots sound did improve but the soundman was trying he was working, you guys nothing. Even the inbetween bands music was all bass. I walked up to the cabs and just shook my head. Dumb ass's.

As far a Khans singing, he was delivering Sat. night. I believe he was once trained and obviously has a natural singing voice so Id have a hard time believing hes off or weak very often. Sick, well hell yea, no one can sing good sick and most vocalists probably get a bit stressed toward the end of a tour.

Russel Allen ? One of my top 5 or 6 favorites but I was actually having reservations on Symphony X live due to a handful of horrible youtube videos. Well he was piping hot last month too and Im so glad I went. Im glad I did not miss any of the shows I went to this year and they all were of my favorite bands and contain a whos-who of whom I consider Metals ... in fact Ill go over the top and say histories ... greatest vocalists and they all delivered.

Geoff Tate
Russel Allen
Roy Khan

they all fit the bands they play with and are intregral to the sound

Id have to turn back time to see some of my others, Im sure I had the chance to see these bands but was overly busy with life and out of the loop. So I say go see these bands and musicians now, their all getting older and time waits for no one. The metal scenes changing and not all for the better ...........oh yea and kick the soundman when you walk in and tell him he better have his shit together .... "This is metal ! NOT boom shicka boom rap .... :lol: why buy all these instruments and amps when all you really need is a bass drum, cute little hat and a half neck-ed hoe ? ........ :lol:

I'd sooner go to see 50cent than Kamelot if they play material from G.O. :lol: Older material is amazing though.

PS: In your signature, "cant" is missing an apostrophe. Unless you mean the critics all have the cool ability to lean really far.