OK which one of you guys wrote this troll post on CL?

It's "noy-min" - in German the 'eu' dipthong creates an 'oy' or 'oi' type sound as in "oil" or "boil". It's almost a direct translation of "new man" but that would be neue mann and not a single word.

More like "noy-mun" (like in "munch") edit: just looked at my keyboard, and it could have very well just been a typo on your part^^

and it would be "neuer Mann", but yeah since it's one word "newman" would be the "correct" translation of a name I suppose :headbang:

I would say its between NOY and NEW. Someone from Germany could chime in (Lasse)?

It doesn't sound like "new" at all..."noy" is right, as Jeff stated.

Funny enough, I didn't even realize they didn't write "Neumann", my brain just totally converted it :lol:
Post was gold btw haha

hilarious =D pure ironie in my eyes. but only after the second read. at first i thought it would be real..sad but true. i know at least some dudes who would claim like that...

Wait, so is it NOT pronounced like "New-man".

I always thought it was. Or is it "Noy-men"?

It's a german trademark/personal name so i would pronounce it in german and that would be "noy-mun". The "a" in "mann" is pronounced like o in "come" or "u" in "much". And the "eu" in "Neu" is pronounced like "oy" in "toy".

phonetics: nɔɪmʌn

The funniest thing about that CL listing is how often I actually hear a similar sentiment in real life.

I had a drummer I had worked with in the past call me with an offer just like this one. What I couldn't fathom is how he could be a session drummer for another artist and not understand the cost of studio time/ the actual amount of time it took.

When I explained to him that the client he drummed for spent about 12k paying me and the studio for his release, the guy almost had a heart attack on the phone and thought I was pulling his leg. Turns out he didn't receive a dime for his time and was doing it for "exposure" (oh the irony).

Somehow he had gotten it in his head that you could spend 200-300 dollars to get a finished record, and that it would magically take the same amount of time to do it as there was minutes in the songs.

I had to chuckle at his expense, with him still on the line and say "uhhh no dude, 200-300 dollars will cover the time it takes you to setup your drums...maybe".

More like "noy-mun" (like in "munch") edit: just looked at my keyboard, and it could have very well just been a typo on your part^^

and it would be "neuer Mann", but yeah since it's one word "newman" would be the "correct" translation of a name I suppose :headbang:

It doesn't sound like "new" at all..."noy" is right, as Jeff stated.

Nice catch, that was a typo! :kickass:

So it'd be "neuer Mann"? as in "Eine neuer Mann"? I was thinking "Der neue Mann" but it's been years since I've spoken German properly (soberly).

Like in "Ein neuer Mann"

"Der neue Mann" can be a specific person. "Dieser neue Mann" would be even more specific and less colloquial.
So if you're talking generally you'd say "neuer Mann" cause you miss the...preposition (?) (I'm terrible with grammar terms, bear with me please lol), and then "neue Mann" sounds strange and you kinda sound like tarzan ;)

German is a bitch with those kind of things...lots of native struggle with it too :lol:

Nice catch, that was a typo! :kickass:

So it'd be "neuer Mann"? as in "Eine neuer Mann"? I was thinking "Der neue Mann" but it's been years since I've spoken German properly (soberly).

Neumann = Noymann, with an "a" as in "are", probably the easiest way to explain.
The German "a" ist basically the sound you make when you open your mouth completely, tongue in mouth, and let it flow.
The word Neumann doesn't make any sense on it's own, that's why you're having trouble translating it properly.
It's the words "neu" (new) and "Mann" (man) in their basic form, just like you'd find them in a dictionary. In opposition to the anglistic form "newman", which makes grammatical sense as in "He is the (new man).", the German form does not work on it's own and would require you to add something if you wanted to semanticly connect the words, because of the German prepositions.
"Mann" being a word of male gender, requiring a "der" and "neu" requiring the added "e" becoming "neue", because it would be Akkusativ in this example.
Although one of my University subjects is German, it's quite fucking difficult to explain in English, so I'll stop now.