Okay, someone please teach me the 101 of dubstep

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
I mean, I have this track, I am going to redo it at some point, but at the point around 1:10 I want to have like the dubstep twitchy kinda thing to it. Mainly I want to have it there so I know how to do it. I've been listening to the Korn vs Skrillex song and I just can't figure out how do you do that, because it doesn't sound like it's just slice and repeat kinda thing, is it?

If you haven't heard it, I mean this thing:

the "main" riff area

1:12 forward

Last edited by a moderator:
it's not sliced and repeated. it's done with with tons of LFO automation

Yup. If you have a synth like Massive, you'll actually be able to find some tutorials on how to make the 'wobble' sounds.... or even presets. I have some Skrillex presets on my computer somewhere...

Please post these Skrillex presets. I just have a hard time thinking he would actually post these. thats like Joey posting his POD preset.. Im sure someone made one that is close

anyway, check out the brand new plugin by NI called Razor it rapes for dubstep

I have alwayyyysss wanted to know about this but i've been afraid of posting anything about it on here thinking i would get totally flamed for it lol since emmure did it in one of their new songs

Please post these Skrillex presets. I just have a hard time thinking he would actually post these. thats like Joey posting his POD preset.. Im sure someone made one that is close

Haha, should have worded it correctly. They aren't actually from Skrillex. They sound close though, it's just something I downloaded for fun, not for any actual music production.

And Razor looks really cool! It also seems good for just really darker sounds, not just "wobbles". I wish I made music that could justify putting that stuff in there.

it's not sliced and repeated. it's done with with tons of LFO automation

Okay, but if you listened to the second clip in the OP, he did that wobbly sound with a pedal. Since you can do it with a pedal, it means that there must be a way to do it with some plugin to something that is not a synth?

edit: btw, am I the only one who found the name ERRORSMITH hilarious? (when said out loud it sounds like AEROSMITH :D)

Automating eq? :D I have tried to find a plugin also but no luck so far. Just some synths. Atleast it can't be that popular when it's hard to find. If there is one.

EDIT: And that korn remix is sweet as hell.

It wouldn't be an eq it's all LFOs. I didn't get to see the video on my phone but I am assuming it's some sort of digital wah/volume pedal that you can change whatever it does to an LFO

Okay, but if you listened to the second clip in the OP, he did that wobbly sound with a pedal. Since you can do it with a pedal, it means that there must be a way to do it with some plugin to something that is not a synth?

edit: btw, am I the only one who found the name ERRORSMITH hilarious? (when said out loud it sounds like AEROSMITH :D)

Isn't the pedal just taking the pitch and making synth at the same pitch? You might be able to find a plugin that does that, but using something like Razor or Massive is going to give you a lot more control over your sound.

Yes, this is possible. My one dubstep obsessed friend actually created a preset so I could plug in my bass and it would make the "wobble" sound. Pretty fucking awesome, though the latency of the effects chain was pretty bad.

the way to get a real dirty sound from your LFO synth (normally massive or es2) is to layer up different distortions. There's loads of Skrillex presets floating about, but the guy is a genius. He did alot of work on Bring Me The Horizon's new album along side KC Blitz.

You can do this sort of thing on any harmonically rich content. It can be audio or a midi synth, but it has to have a full sound cause there is the meat of the sound and then the higher frequencies are what you use to create the wobble sound. Basically you take a filter, and control its cutoff frequency with an LFO, and then automate the LFO timing to get the variation.

The bass pedal is doing exactly what I wrote. It's changing the sound so it is harmonically rich, and then moving the cutoff frequency on a filter in random patterns.

Nah Sonny Moore did make a video showing people how to make his wobble bass. but he took it off about a month ago.