Old Blind Guaridan and speed metal

spaffe

Geisterglut
Feb 25, 2002
Sverige
www.skivsamling.nu
So after a series of strange events I ended up listening to Blind Guardian's second album Follow the Blind, an album that has been in the back of my head more or less since I got into metal, but one that I never bothered with. This might have something to do with the somewhat corny cover, which I know think is perfectly alright. Anyway: THIS ALBUM KICKS ASS, and from what I've gathered it's supposed to be speed metal, right?

So to you "in the know": is old BG considered a good example of speed metal? If so, than I would like some recommendations where to go next. If not, give some metal that sounds like this :D

Yes, it's Speed Metal. The next best place to go would be to their debut album. Also try:

Helloween - Walls Of Jericho
Rage's first few albums
Running Wild up to Masquerade
Grave Digger
Stormwarrior

Necuratul and I are very much on the same page here.

Go with BG's Tales From the Twilight World next spaffe - I can't recommend that album highly enough. Best BG there is, perfect blend of the old and the new.

I'll second early Rage. Perfect Man is the album you definitely need for what you're looking for.

Grave Digger - The Reaper and Tunes of War will also do nicely if you can handle the rough vocals.

Some others:

Running Wild - Death or Glory and Blazon Stone

X-Wild - Savageland, So What or Monster Effect.

Helloween - Walls of Jericho (if you've never given this one a chance, drop what you're doing and find it now!).

Jason

Necuratul and I are very much on the same page here.

Go with BG's Tales From the Twilight World next spaffe - I can't recommend that album highly enough. Best BG there is, perfect blend of the old and the new.

Thank you for the recos both of you, though I have heard and love TFtTW, actually I thnink I have to listen to that one straight away... Lost in a Twilight Hall and Welcome to Dying are songs I don't think I'll ever get tired of

Thank you for the recos both of you, though I have heard and love TFtTW, actually I thnink I have to listen to that one straight away... Lost in a Twilight Hall and Welcome to Dying I don't think I'll ever get tired of

Hell yeah - add Traveler in Time and Lord of the Rings (I don't care if it is a ballad, it rules) to that song list as well.

Welcome to Dying FTW though. :kickass:

I'm going to check out all the albums mentioned in this thread.

I have in my car a CD-R with the first two BG albums and the first full-length Helloween album plus the debut s/t EP, and it's what I've mostly been listening to the last few weeks, so funnily enough I was also thinking about making a thread like this as that's the extent of my knowledge of speed metal.

Honestly, I find those albums a little hit or miss, but there's some fantastic tracks, such as Majesty, Valhalla, and Warrior :kickass:

So weird how people are only now discovering Blind Guardian, possibly one of the biggest metal bands on the planet.

Just go straight to "Nightfall in Middle Earth" and you'll be holding 10/10 material.

So weird how people are only now discovering Blind Guardian, possibly one of the biggest metal bands on the planet.

Just go straight to "Nightfall in Middle Earth" and you'll be holding 10/10 material.

As far as Blind Guardian are concerned they probably were one of the earlier bands I ever checked out, but only stuff after the first few albums. I have heard some NiME material, and at the time it wasn't for me, which is why I never bothered with them again. That might need correcting now, but it's the earlier material which seems to be much more my sort of thing.

so on a whim i picked up a twist in the myth to see if i can appreciate BG nowadays. will try to pick up one of the early ones everyone seems to love.

A twist in the myth doesn't stand up well to the albums that came before "A night at the opera". But those older albums kicks ass. BG was the first major band I ever saw live.

new blind guardian is so savagely terrible that it's barely even funny

i heard some songs from a night at the opera and it is absolutely mind numbingly atrocious to a height so lofty that dragonforce can only aspire to think about reaching it

And then there was silence is a fucking great track. When it was released and I heard it the first time I actually got teary-eyed when they reached the "misty tales and poems lost..." part, because it's such a great build-up and then comes this awesome chorus.