old Fates Warning

Wheezer said:
That would be me too. I do lean towards Alder though.

I like Alder as a singer more (I'd say hes my favorite vocalist, period), but there are so many Arch-era songs I adore, which is why I wish they would play Arch-era songs now, as to hear Alders take on them.

Fortunatly, I found a bootleg DVD of a show during the Perfect Symmetry tour, and Fata Morgana, The Apparition, Damnation, and Exodus happen to be part of the setlist. Quite interesting to hear.

Wheezer said:
Lessee, you were in Phoenix and now in the Bay Area. You didn't go to DeVry did you?

Haha. Nah. I live in Computer-land-central, but this message board is about as close as I get to being a part of that. I work at San Jose State University (though may be moving on to UC San Francisco soon).

Anyway, I actually lived in Tucson. I moved there my senior year of high school and then moved away and back a couple of times. All in all I lived there for about 8 (?) years. Saw lots of cool shows too. Flotsam and Jetsam (of course). Slayer on a couple of tours. I even saw Guns and Roses in a small venue called The Tucson Garden. Not even a venue really, a bar. This was right before they hit. I suppose I still think of the southwest as home, but I do like it here better.

Break Zero said:
I like Alder as a singer more (I'd say hes my favorite vocalist, period), but there are so many Arch-era songs I adore, which is why I wish they would play Arch-era songs now, as to hear Alders take on them.

Fortunatly, I found a bootleg DVD of a show during the Perfect Symmetry tour, and Fata Morgana, The Apparition, Damnation, and Exodus happen to be part of the setlist. Quite interesting to hear.

I like the Alder era better, musically, but I think John Arch is a superior singer. Or at least I like him better, subjectively speaking. As I said above, his solo ep is sooooo freaking good. I wish he'd do another.

ElectricWiz said:
Haha. I did indeed! I believe that's where they played on PS tour also. Funny to know we've been to a show together. Actually, it probably happened at other times too since I used to see shows fairly often in Phoenix.
Could be, back in those days ('88-'93) I was overkill when it came to concerts. I'd have to check my old ticket stubs to be sure, but I'll bet I attended two concerts a month for the first few years of that stretch.

Did you happen to catch Slayer playing at a disco club in Phoenix (can't remember which tour but I think the name of the club was Studio 69 or something like that) when Tom Araya got pissed off at a security guy for pummeling a mosher and threatened to stop the show if the rent-a-cop wasn't immediately removed from the building?

Wheezer said:
That place was almost big enough to stay out of the mosh pit. :D

I'll bet we went to a lot of the same shows. I was there from July '85 to November '88. I went to DeVry and worked at Ed Debevic's while I was living there.
Thankfully there were only 15-20 moshers in the Mason Jar that night! I was pretty much squeezed between them and the nearest table. I like small places like that though, even back behind the mosh pit you are only 20 feet away from stage. We overlapped by only one year Wheez, I moved to Phoenix in January '88. But, I did attend alot of concerts that year! I was starved from living in rural Idaho and gobbled my feast of bi-monthly concerts while the meat was fresh.

ElectricWiz said:
Haha. Nah. I live in Computer-land-central, but this message board is about as close as I get to being a part of that. I work at San Jose State University (though may be moving on to UC San Francisco soon).

It was worth a shot. :D I lived not too far from SJSU when I was out there -- over in the Berryessa part of town.

ElectricWiz said:
Anyway, I actually lived in Tucson. I moved there my senior year of high school and then moved away and back a couple of times. All in all I lived there for about 8 (?) years. Saw lots of cool shows too. Flotsam and Jetsam (of course). Slayer on a couple of tours. I even saw Guns and Roses in a small venue called The Tucson Garden. Not even a venue really, a bar. This was right before they hit. I suppose I still think of the southwest as home, but I do like it here better.

I never made it down to Tucson. I should have when Alice Cooper rolled through on the Constrictor tour. His warmup in Tucson was Tesla but in Phoenix it was Megadeth. That was fine but I would have rather seen Tesla. I saw G & R at the Celebrity in Phoenix, prolly on the same tour. Axl biffed his mouth on the mic during one of his spaz episodes and refused to continue. They had done just a few songs. I refused to ever see them again.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
We overlapped by only one year Wheez, I moved to Phoenix in January '88. But, I did attend alot of concerts that year! I was starved from living in rural Idaho and gobbled my feast of bi-monthly concerts while the meat was fresh.

:headbang: I was starved from living in rural Colorado but by '88 was a concert veteran.

As I recall, '88 was the best damn year for concerts ever. I don't remember there being a stretch like that before or since. I'd have to do some checking but here's what I think I saw:

Aerosmith(Permanent Vacation)/Dokken(Back for the Attack)
Fates Warning (No Exit)
Pink Floyd (Momentary Lapse of Reason)
Alice Cooper(Raise Your Fist and Yell?)/Motorhead(?)/Faster Pussycat (killer 5th row, center seats)
LA Guns (?)
Jimmy Page (Outrider)

There's more than that, I know. I started to remember details of some of those shows, got sidetracked and now I can't remember some of the other shows. I'll have to check my stubs and see. I'm sure there was a KISS and a Queensryche in there somewhere.

The Page show was an absolute dream come true and it was just before I moved out to California. He played Stairway as an instrumental and the crowd sang it. I knew that was as close as I was ever going to get to hearing it live.

JonnyD said:
Pure Genius! its definately Proggy but some of the Best top notch prog I have ever had the pleasure of hearing :)

:headbang: What he said and twice over. Cheyenne just freakin' kills.

I've been looking to the west
Where the silent man can hear the harmony
Of the children's song and its sweet refrain
I just can't hear it anymore
Memories are all I have
Of the sun and stars dancing endlessly
Can you hear me call
Call your name

Cheyenne, I am
I am so far away
can you feel our dreams
They are slipping away
I am, Cheyenne
I am the sky, the wind, the rain
In my dreams, my friend
I can see you again

Wheezer said:
Cheyenne, I am
I am so far away
can you feel our dreams
They are slipping away
I am, Cheyenne
I am the sky, the wind, the rain
In my dreams, my friend
I can see you again

What I wouldnt give to hear him do that live ahh man!!! I would sing along with every word!! ... when I get Famous John Arch is going to play my Birthday party! and my Funeral! :D oh and BTW your all invited :devil:

I'm inside you, I deny you
I surround you, I defy you
Hear the voices, they are godless
No forgiveness, so relentless

In the real world you feel real pain
A never ending war inside, again and again
Are you who you think you are, my life runs through your veins
Try as you will, my son, try
But you will not break the chains of misery

I can feel anger rising like the sun rises every day that I'm here
Now and then you return to open the wounds again and again
Screaming voices conspire and critique every breath I take
I remember as a child I said I loved you
I remember the silence was so deafening

Wheezer said:
I started to remember details of some of those shows, got sidetracked and now I can't remember some of the other shows. I'll have to check my stubs and see. I'm sure there was a KISS and a Queensryche in there somewhere.
I had started a list last night as well, but ended up deleting it because I couldn't remember which concerts I went to during each year. I'm pretty sure I saw Queensryche in concert in '88, but I don't think it was the Mindcrime tour. I was thinking Mindcrime (the tour) was in '89 when they played the whole album (I know I saw them two years in a row). Ehh, I need to dig out my old ticket stubs to be sure...and they are somewhere in a box, somewhere in storage!

I love seeing appreciation for John Arch because he is really one of the most creative and unique vocalists i have ever heard. Awaken the Guardian is my favourite album EVER. No song can make me shiver the way Guardian does. I think Arch had so much more to offer as a musician. The EP is brilliant too and i hope its not the last we hear of him. I dig all the Alder era Fates too, particularly Parallels.

Ehh, I need to dig out my old ticket stubs to be sure...and they are somewhere in a box, somewhere in storage!

I managed to find mine but I still think there's more. Here's a pic of what I did find:

ticks_88.jpg

I know the FW show should be there. Oh well, after several moves and almost two decades I guess I should be happy I've got that many. One ticket from '88 that I didn't put in the pic was Metallica at Cow Palace in Cali. Queensryche was the warmup for that one and the main reason I went. I also noticed that the Cooper show was third row instead of fifth.

I was at two of those shows Wheez! I saw Aerosmith at the Coliseum and Dio at Compton Terrace! You mentioned Queensryche opening for Metallica. That's what I was thinking for '88, they opened for Hetfield and the boys at the Coliseum in '88 and came back in '89 headlining their own Mindcrime tour. I went to both! I was heavy into Queensryche back in those days (even have my vinyl version of The Warning signed by all five members). I actually have one of the original EPs that were released on 206 records.

I was at two of those shows Wheez! I saw Aerosmith at the Coliseum and Dio at Compton Terrace! You mentioned Queensryche opening for Metallica. That's what I was thinking for '88, they opened for Hetfield and the boys at the Coliseum in '88 and came back in '89 headlining their own Mindcrime tour. I went to both! I was heavy into Queensryche back in those days (even have my vinyl version of The Warning signed by all five members). I actually have one of the original EPs that were released on 206 records.

See? I knew we had been at the same place at the same time! :D I saw Queensryche in San Jose in May of '89 for a headliner. Prolly the same little tour you saw. The dates were very limited for that -- mostly West coast as I remember. The warmup was Warrant. They got booed off the stage after five songs.

Wow! You have some kickass souvenirs! :headbang: I got my Rage for Order autographed at Tower -- the one on 19th Avenue, I think. They were the warmup for AC/DC out at Compton. And then I got my Tribe CD autographed when they rolled through town with Dream Theater and Fates Warning a coupla Summers ago. It was released on the day they hit Denver so they had a little release autograph session at a local record store.

Fangface said:
... and some like both :)
I give them props for evolving and trying not to sound the same album after album, to my mind that's what a 'progressive' band should be all about.

Absolutely. I like all of their releases except for APSOG. Each one is quitre different as well.

Bryant

"Awaken the Guardian" is my favorite. John Arch weaves his magic spell with his voice and his vocal melodies. Their second album "The Spectre Within" is my second favorite Fates Warning album. But "Awaken..." rank high among my all time favorites! I just love that album.