Old guitarist needs to get out of guitar hell.

BaronVertigo

New Metal Member
Feb 19, 2006
'Lo everyone. This is my first post, so I hope you'll bear with me.

I've been playing guitar since I was 13. I'm 27 now. My skill is NOT up to par with how long I've been playing. I stopped playing guitar a few years ago because real-life set in, ie, having a baby, getting married. You get the idea.

Well, it's time for me to get off of my lazy ass, and get back to playing. So, I was thinking about what to do when suddenly, I thought of another reason that I'd quit playing:

I'm in Guitar Hell.

What's guitar hell? Hmm. Imagine only being able to play half of a song. It sucks. It's horrible. It's my own fault.

Part of this reason is I don't how to solo.

Some of you might not like Metallica, but I'll use them as an example. You know the harmony solo after the slow down in the middle of the Four Horsemen? I want to be able to do that.

So, enough with the sappy stuff. The only way I'll do this, is get off of my ass and buy a new guitar. So, that's why I'm posting this. What kind of guitar to get? I've narrowed my search down to two possible guitars:

The $899 ESP LTD MHB-400 Baritone. http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_baritone.htm

Or, the $1500 Jackson SLSMG Soloist.

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?partno=SLSMG_Soloist

So, which do you think I should get? If not these, do you have another suggestion? I've only played $300-$500 guitars, so I have absolutely no experience with anything in the $1000 range.

Any help is appreciated.

Um, if you arent overly high in skill and especially if you want to solo, I wouldnt think buying a baritone would be a good idea since they're basically 7strings without the high E.

Thanks for the reply. I've never played an ESP or a Jackson, so I was just browsing around. Since almost everyone on here says good things about Jackson/Charvel, I suppose I'll go with that.

Thanks.

I play ESPs, but I wouldn't go with a Baritone. Try some of their 400 series.

The Soloist is a very nice choice too.

If you're not dead set on EMG's, a used Jackson SL1 or 2 would also be a great choice ...and within your price range.

If you're considering a Jackson, you might want to wait until the new 2006 models start shipping. Most of the Japanese models (SLSMG, DKMG, DK2, etc.) are getting pickup and hardware upgrades this year. Of course, you might be able to get a bargain if you find a pre-2006 model on clearance.

Do you have a bridge preference? I know a lot of players don't like dealing with locking trems, which would definitely influence your purchase.

I wouldn't want a LTD baritone so if there the choices you are sticking to I would buy the Soloist.
And to help you your problem of not progressing I would try and learn somthing new everyday i.e Scales, Songs, Solos It helps you progress and also play along to some of your favorite bands on DVD trying to copy what they do it can get you far aswell only if when writting your own material you dont copy half of there solo or write a Riff that is ruffly the same as say Metallica's no one wants a copy.

If you are not good at making a lesser expensive guitar sound better with upgrades and setups and the such on your own, then you may want to go the route of getting a more expensive guitar with "top" features. Sometimes, a lesser expensive guitar with modifications done on your own or maybe by a reasonabley priced luthier can get you a much better "value". I won't say much more, but look for value vs. dollar. Try harmonycentral.com for some guitar reviews, or the online websites for the reviews.

getting back inot guitar??? this program has tought me alot...

also, jacksons are great but i wouldnt get one with a locking tremelo, they are very frustrating if you dont know how to use them...

Dude, I totally feel ya on that one, I've been playing Bass since 19 and, after I had my son, I quit for 6 years!! YIKES.. Got back into it a couple of years ago and it's all coming back to me.. but damn, this shit ain't like riding a bike!! you do forget!! .. but anyway.. I'd take the above posters' advice.. if you've got a grand to drop on a geetar.. get yourself a nice Soloist or something along those lines.. make sure its comfortable and sounds and feels good to play..
The thing with solos.. well.. lemme just say.. scales!! learn them SCALES my friend.. they're gonna be your best friend when it comes to solos.. just play them faster and faster, try playing the notes of the scale in order first, then change it up a bit an rearrange 'em.. and in no time you've got a face melting solo!!
but what the hell do I know? I"m a bass player!! hahaha

I guarantee the baritone is better build, jackson are poor these days. owned by fender and all that shite, the soloist only got HZ...they'r are good but not better then 81. the longer scale on the baritone can make problems tho if u arent familiar with it. both black satin = death sexy...My suggestion too u is to pick up ESP/LTD F-500 = guitar from hell.

Hi there BaronVertigo,

ESP and Jackson guitars are great but I'd also recommend Ibanez to that list. If you are getting into the guitar again then get your new guitar set up with a set of 10's.

Harmonies like the ones by Metallica are basically made by knowing what scales to play over the chord progression. Sometimes the scales can change from one chord to the next or the chord are strung together so that you can stay within a scale for a while. Try this...

Learn a scales shape on your guitar. Record yourself playing it up and down a few times through. Now play the scale starting at the same time as your recording but start the from the note 3 of the pattern and go up and down. Then try starting from all the different notes in the pattern to hear different harmonies.

Have a read of what I'ver written on the metronome thread as it gives you some tips on how to practice and make progress.

Peace,
DHD