Old Mayhem VS New Mayhem

I've only heard Dawn of the Black Hearts, Grand Declaration of War, and just recently, DMDS.

GDOW was one of the worst purchases I've ever made, right next to Soilwork's "music". GDOW was beyond boring and awful. I think the band should be obligated to use $13 of their sell-out money to give me a refund.

DMDS, while not the best I've ever heard, was quite an interesting album. And Attila's vocals are good, and anyone who says otherwise probably likes James LaBrie.

DotBH was OK, but it had the worst production I've ever heard. Cool cover though.

EDIT: Hellhammer is one helluva overrated drummer.

Erik said:
No, see, saying DMDS is "generic" is not an expression of opinion, it is a direct contradiction of fact -- DMDS is anything but generic. Happy to help. Now anonymousnick2001's post had opnions, but they were stupid. As he specifically requested to have them unchallenged, I just called them stupid.
No, see, what you misunderstand is that even the term "generic" is an opinion. Things can sound generic to individuals and not to others. I can call Master of Puppets or Paranoid generic if I so wish, if it were my opinion. The funny thing is, I don't recall mentioning DMDS "generic." I said it was "poorly written." I hold to that. IMO, it's poorly written. It's also overrated, and Attila 'sings' as though he's gargling semen, and his growl is actually worse. I requested they be unchallenged simply because they are purely opinion. You generally can't challenge opinion. You calling my opinions stupid, quite ironically, are your opinion.

J. said:
DMDS, while not the best I've ever heard, was quite an interesting album. And Attila's vocals are good, and anyone who says otherwise probably likes James LaBrie.

Hell yes, I totally agree, Atilla's vocals were fucking awesome. Totally evil (in that Hellhammer - Triumph Of Death way), they went perfectly with the music on the album.

Erik said:
Yeah, but thing is, I wasn't even referring to your post mate. Search for the word "generic" in the thread and you'll see the post I was referring to.
Oh, okay. :) The last sentence of my last post still stands.

I don't really particularly like anything by the band, for one, and consider them pretty mediocre (although I realize and appreciate their influence on certain bands), but their old stuff is far far better than their new stuff, as GDoW is one of the worst albums I've EVER heard.

Erik said:
....who then not only change the music completely (Euro should be turning in his grave at the atrocities Gayhem churn out) but do a complete ideological 180 and take stances against Christianity's life-denying practices when Mayhem under Euronymous was an orthodox Satanist band which itself denied life, and you say it's "funny" how people refuse to acknowledge that the new band called Mayhem is the same as Mayhem?
So they went from a retarded idealogy (or I should say a shallow conception of a fairly interesting ideaolgy) to an intelligent one. How dare they!

Erik said:
No. How about a change to entirely new members (except the drummer,) INCLUDING the songwriter of the band + a change in ideology + a total change in musical style?
Extreme progression/unusual development over time???

Erik said:
Not really. Mayhem was disbanded in 1993, then resurrected in 1996 with the new members, new musical style and new ideology (and new label -- with Euro's Deathlike Silence Productions obviously defunct, Mayhem signed to Misanthropy Records, which was in fact started to release Burzum releases, and as we all know Varg was the one who killed Euro... oh the irony.) It's a completely different band.
Hmmm...I never looked at it that way.

I'm not a fan of old or new Mayhem, the former being pretty bottom of the barrel when compared to the other brilliant artists of the second wave, and the latter just being banal.

Eh, I don't like Pure Holocaust that much. You're overstating Mayhem's influence anyway, most of the best bands obviously take their primary influence from something that's better than mediocre.

I know Mayhem were influential, my point is that a band who is mediocre can't provide wonderful influence. Not sure how you worked out the last bit. :err:

I think Mayhem were terrible when they first started and they're terrible now. Although admittedly, DMDS *is* a good album, they havent made anything half as good since, the whole black metal thing is incredibly "poseur" now, reduced to a collection of fannies wearing makeup and warbling half-assed philosophies about how great satan is. The only half-decent black metal is Burzum in my opinion.