Old school gems from your country

Pabla said:
Hmmm... I am from Chile originally, but we didn't really have an underground scene since the 90's? I am not sure though... because I moved to the States... I do remember listening to a lot of rock entiwed w/punk as a youngster... bands with spanish names that I can't remember :err:

From the 90's Criminal was probably the best known band from Chile, and of course Tom Araya is Chilean (or from Chilean ascendance). :D

Hawk said:
Thanks for the offer. problem is, the link does not work :(
And yes, I did copy and paiste it.
sorry, my mistake!

http://ijlen.zwieke.com/Highway-1980-demo.rar

carnut said:
There were lots of Metal bands in the 80's in Belgium, but only few could grab my attention, as most sounded pretty poor compared to US or NWOBHM bands.Some good ones from the 80's are Acid, Ritual, Scavenger, Crossfire and some Ostrogoth.
And damn Ritual is amazing. It sounds like it's pure US metal!! The vocals..godly, so much energy! And the dramatic slow parts! And then the Helstar-alike pounding metal riffs aaaah :worship: :D

Pabla said:
Hmmm... I am from Chile originally, but we didn't really have an underground scene since the 90's? I am not sure though... because I moved to the States... I do remember listening to a lot of rock entiwed w/punk as a youngster... bands with spanish names that I can't remember :err:
Well Slayer is part chilean! :loco:
Tom Araya was born in your former home country.

Trixxi Trash said:
Well there is probably tons of old school thrash stuff out of Australia like Mortal Sin, Mortification, Hobbs Angel Of Death, etc but I really have no interest in those bands... Some of my favourite old school hard rock & metal albums out of Australia would be:
What?! You didn't care for Mortification?! Oh well them and Zao are about
the only x-tian bands I listen too.

Yeah, Divje Jagode was quite known band in the 80es. In fact I believe Zele was approached by David Coverdale with an offer to join Whiteshake (just before 1987 album), but Zele turned it down as he thought DJ may become bigger band :)

I think that a Serbian (or Croatian) record company re-released the whole DJ catalog as a huge boxset (12 CDs or something) last year. I'm sure I saw one when in Bulgaria last summer, but the price was outrageous and I had to pass it by unfortunately...

SickBoy said:
Hmmm... Zao means "evil" in Croatian or Serbian... I wonder if any of the members was of either nationality.. :tickled:
That's funny because one time I was looking for their website so I can
see what that band looks like because I just have their greatest hits cd.
LEGENDARY and I stumbled on a californian sushi bar chain called Zao.
Pretty funny how one word can mean so many different things :Spin: !

Wyvern said:
From the 90's Criminal was probably the best known band from Chile, and of course Tom Araya is Chilean (or from Chilean ascendance). :D

I didn't know that, since it was the 80's, I thought he was mexican (they were the first to come in lagre groups)

hey, what style did the elsalvador bands play? I am actually really interested since, I thought they had none.

One last quetion, I remember there were many latin names in abbatoir, anyone know where they are from? from the picture they looked peruvian.

The saYer said:
I didn't know that, since it was the 80's, I thought he was mexican (they were the first to come in lagre groups)

hey, what style did the elsalvador bands play? I am actually really interested since, I thought they had none.

One last quetion, I remember there were many latin names in abbatoir, anyone know where they are from? from the picture they looked peruvian.

Criminal : http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4717

From Mexicoworth classics are
Luzbel: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=6557
Transmetal: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1770

For El Salvador check: http://www.metal-archives.com/browseC.php?c=64

Hawk said:
Highway were good. I still have their single. And there was a band called Exciter in 1982. They had a 14 years old lead guitarist and they plated speed metal and thrash.

I still wonder what became of them.

I hated Picture. Especially the singer. His voice was very plain but he acted as he was the best in the world. He was a dick off and on stage. He was like the Dutch forerunner of Lars Ulrich!

O, and their music was boring, even back then. Their compositions were very predictable. After hearing those song one or two times you could sing along with them while being drunk!

Now that I have come to think of it... especially when you were drunk.

The thing is thought I have seen them 6 or 7 times live. They were kinda hard to avoid during that period :(

Don't hold back any punches Hawk haha

Troyanasy said:
Don't hold back any punches Hawk haha

:lol: Well, normally I don't hark on bands I don't like. But this guy just got on my nerves.

I perhaps when you place those albums in their time they were not so bad.
I remember that they played on a small festival in my old hometown Eindhoven and I was doing the backstage security. One of the editors of the Dutch metal mag "Aardschok" walks in the backstage area just before Picture had to go on stage.

He walks up the the guitar player and says to the woman sitting on his lap: "all groupies must leave the backstage area before the performance". Then the guitarist says: She's my wife! :tickled: :oops:

StormSpell said:
Yeah, Divje Jagode was quite known band in the 80es. In fact I believe Zele was approached by David Coverdale with an offer to join Whiteshake (just before 1987 album), but Zele turned it down as he thought DJ may become bigger band :)

Yeah, I've heard about that as well...
His bad. :tickled:

I think that a Serbian (or Croatian) record company re-released the whole DJ catalog as a huge boxset (12 CDs or something) last year. I'm sure I saw one when in Bulgaria last summer, but the price was outrageous and I had to pass it by unfortunately...

That would be Serbian record company...
Divlje Jagode recorded almost all of their 80s work for Diskoton, which was a Bosnian record company from Sarajevo. I presume some Serbian company got (thru god-knows-what channels, maybe they were even stolen during war then sold) the masters. Jugoton (now Croatia Records) released their first album, but I haven't seen it on CD. They are lazy bastards, having a great 80s catalog and releasing almost nothing on CD.

Hm, looks like it´s up to me to mention some German albums. (Or did I just overlook something?) Well, one of my old school faves is definitely

Helloween´s "Walls Of Jericho". I have to admit that I already lost interest in this band after the release of "Keeper Of The Seven Keys II", but if I´d still pick one of their albums to listen to, it would be "Walls Of Jericho", my favourite songs being "Ride The Sky", "Phantoms Of Death" and "How Many Tears". Well, as for favourite Helloween songs, I´d also have to include "Victim Of Fate" from their debut EP. (I really loved the extensive guitar-solos on these songs.)

Other German metal albums which I´d like to include here are:

Mekong Delta - "Mekong Delta", "The Music Of Erich Zann" (they had a somewhat weird, yet also unique sound - I haven´t heard any band so far which sounded similar to them); maybe I should also include "Dances Of Death" (probably the only thrash metal album to feature a rondo, namely the title track, and a cover version of Mussorgsky´s "Night On A Bare Mountain")

Sieges Even - "Life Cycle", "Steps", "A Sense Of Change", "Sophisticated" (I know that some people consider "Life Cycle" a Watchtower rip-off, but apart from the fact that it was released about a year before "Control And Resistance", I really don´t care. As for the other three albums, they don´t resemble any other albums I know and they also sound very different from each other. So whoever says that Sieges Even are just a Watchtower-clone doesn´t know what he´s talking about!)

SickBoy said:
Here goes...

OSMI PUTNIK - meaning "the 8th passenger", named themselves by the Croatian translation for the movie "Alien". Their former singer is now one of the most successful pop-rock artists here and the rest of the band recently reunited fronted now by my good friend Dean Clea Brkic. Check their songs at http://www.osmiputnik.com/hr/8Putnik_audio.htm . The first two LPs from '86 and '88 are IMO the best by far. Their site is in Croatian only, unfortunately...
DR.STEEL, WITCHCRAFT, LORD OF DARKNESS, EVIL BLOOD, ATLANTIDA ('Atlantis') and CRNA UDOVICA ('Black Widow') are some of the other Croatian gems. I hear that Dr.Steel LP reaches insane prices at the market..

I listened to something calles "Osmi Putnik 1987 - Glasno, Glasnije" and it was pretty cool. not as heavy as I hoped though!
Burkhard said:
Hm, looks like it´s up to me to mention some German albums.
What happened to Cutty Sark, Iron Angel and Trance? :( (HEAVY METAL QUEEEEN! oh that song is so addictive!)

Griffin- said:
What happened to Cutty Sark, Iron Angel and Trance? :( (HEAVY METAL QUEEEEN! oh that song is so addictive!)
I do remember the names from articles in metal magazines way back then, but I don´t know what happened to these bands. Maybe if I looked through all my Rock Hard issues starting from about 1986, I might find some news somewhere that they split up, but I simply haven´t the time to do this. Didn´t Google show any results?

Burkhard said:
Sieges Even - "Life Cycle", "Steps", "A Sense Of Change", "Sophisticated" (I know that some people consider "Life Cycle" a Watchtower rip-off, but apart from the fact that it was released about a year before "Control And Resistance", I really don´t care. As for the other three albums, they don´t resemble any other albums I know and they also sound very different from each other. So whoever says that Sieges Even are just a Watchtower-clone doesn´t know what he´s talking about!)

Thanks for mentioning Sieges Even on this forum. They are badly overlooked! Their album "A Sense of Change" is my all time favorite album. If I had to choose one album to take with me on a desert island it would be that album!

And I consider their "Sophisticated" on of the most original metal albums released in the 90s!

Especially "A Sense of Change" and "Sophisticated" come highly recommended!