Are you Old School enough

Runehammer said:
Only Pong is tr00!
Exactly, pong by Atari. Single game, big console with two paddle controllers, B&W for TV only.

Besides you are old school if you remember all this in your chilhood (or teens):

1. you saw the man landing in the moon on TV
  2. The Beatles just disbanded a couple of years ago
  3. Deep Purple "In Rock" was brand new
  4. Black Sabbath was still with the original line-up
  5. you saw "Star Wars" when it came out originally (bonus points if you saw "2001: A Space Oddysey" when it came out)
  6. there was no computers (not even a Commodore 64 or a Tandy TRS-80)
  7. Coke came in glass bottles (355 mL) with metal cap
  8. the milkman deliver at your door
  9. there was no bars in the windows
  10. disco was too "nu" for you
  11. you wear silly pants
  12. nobody heard about AIDS
  13. World War III was always at the turned of the day
  14. there was no CDs
  15. 16, 33, 45, 78 had a special meaning
  16. C-60, and C-90 was an oddity
  17. 8 tracks was something
  18. open reel meant quality
  19. VCRs were a dream in a house
  20. Remote controllers have one button only
  21. there was no cable
  22. TV was black and white
  23. there was no cell phones
  24. there was no cordless phones
  25. phones had a dial! (no buttons)
  26. clockwise and counterclockwise was a logic thing (no digital watches)
  27. your first calculator was a Commodore, with LED, 8 digits and only can add, substract, multiply and divide.
  28. playing with guns was considered cool for boys
  29. Barbie was only a single model and Ken not even existed
  30. microwave ovens didn't exist
  31. disposable and recycling weren't in the language :lol:
  32. "Batman", "Lost In Space", "Gilligan's Island", "Mash", "Streets Of San Francisco", "SWAT", "Land of Giants", "Astroboy", "Woody Woodpecker", "Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea", "Twilight Zone (with Rod Serling)", "Dragnet", "Cannon", "Bonanza", "Gunsmoke", "Zorro", "Man from U.N.C.L.E", "Wild Wild West", "Mission Impossible" were original series and not reruns
  33. James Bond was Sean Connery
etc.
:worship:

contra is probably the best nintendo game barely beating contra2 (and I dont mean the weak ass contra force, I mean part 2)

Funny I was just telling my brother that they should bring back super mario bros., not that sunshine, or 64 crap, but a super mario bros. 3d game were mario looks exactly like luigi, with old school fx white outfit when he gets the fireflower and all aroung 8-bit graphics, but in 3d, now wouldn't that be an oldschooler's dream?

Play oldschool with you metal jerseys on!

Wyvern said:
Exactly, pong by Atari. Single game, big console with two paddle controllers, B&W for TV only.

Besides you are old school if you remember all this in your chilhood (or teens):

2. The Beatles just disbanded a couple of years ago
  3. Deep Purple "In Rock" was brand new
  4. Black Sabbath was still with the original line-up
  5. you saw "Star Wars" when it came out originally (bonus points if you saw "2001: A Space Oddysey" when it came out)
  6. there was no computers (not even a Commodore 64 or a Tandy TRS-80)
  7. Coke came in glass bottles (355 mL) with metal cap
  8. the milkman deliver at your door
  9. there was no bars in the windows
  10. disco was too "nu" for you
  11. you wear silly pants
  12. nobody heard about AIDS
  13. World War III was always at the turned of the day
  14. there was no CDs
  15. 16, 33, 45, 78 had a special meaning
  16. C-60, and C-90 was an oddity
  17. 8 tracks was something
  18. open reel meant quality
  19. VCRs were a dream in a house
  20. Remote controllers have one button only
  21. there was no cable
  22. TV was black and white
  23. there was no cell phones
  24. there was no cordless phones
  25. phones had a dial! (no buttons)
  26. clockwise and counterclockwise was a logic thing (no digital watches)
  27. your first calculator was a Commodore, with LED, 8 digits and only can add, substract, multiply and divide.
  28. playing with guns was considered cool for boys
  29. Barbie was only a single model and Ken not even existed
  30. microwave ovens didn't exist
  31. disposable and recycling weren't in the language :lol:
  32. "Batman", "Lost In Space", "Gilligan's Island", "Mash", "Streets Of San Francisco", "SWAT", "Land of Giants", "Astroboy", "Woody Woodpecker", "Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea", "Twilight Zone (with Rod Serling)", "Dragnet", "Cannon", "Bonanza", "Gunsmoke", "Zorro", "Man from U.N.C.L.E", "Wild Wild West", "Mission Impossible" were original series and not reruns
  33. James Bond was Sean Connery
etc.
:worship:

I remember a lot of that stuff, and I did see Star Wars in the theatre when it first came out! I was actually born the day they launched the mission to the moon (July 16, 1969).

I also own a working Atari 2600 with about 2 dozen games in cluding Pitfall and Pitfall 2! One of my favourite games was Kaboom! :worship:

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

IcedMadness said:
So what if this is not a metal topic, it's still old school worthy. I just bought Super Mario Brothers today. That's right, the old NES version from 85. Bought it for the Game Boy Advance, but am using my Game Boy Player to play it on my Game Cube. This game is freaking awesome. They released a GBA that resembles an old nintendo controller. Check it out guys.
My kids have a game cube, what do you think of it? They really don't make that many decent games for it. Me, all I need is Madden '04 or anyhting having to do with football. Every now & then I feel the need to blow someone's face off & I just can't find a game like that for game cube!!!!!
Remember Contra? How about Rush & Attack? Castlevania?!

sixxswine said:
My kids have a game cube, what do you think of it? They really don't make that many decent games for it. Me, all I need is Madden '04 or anyhting having to do with football. Every now & then I feel the need to blow someone's face off & I just can't find a game like that for game cube!!!!!
Remember Contra? How about Rush & Attack? Castlevania?!

The PS2 system has more of the mature games and also has the most games by far considering the PS1 games are also compatible with the PS2.

bryant

The Atari was passed down to me by my brother.

Does anyone remember the Zork text games? Talk about using ones imagination. I loved those games. It was much more fun to play with someone else or even a group than playing alone.

Bryant said:
The PS2 system has more of the mature games and also has the most games by far considering the PS1 games are also compatible with the PS2.

bryant

Not all. I was told that there is like four or five games that are not compatible with it and I am unfortunate enough to own and love at least two of them. It gave me a good excuse to buy a new PS1 though you know the one that is like half the size of the original it's really cute. My favourite games of all time though have got to be Zelda. I have about six and havn't completed any of them yet :lol: but hey one day

Wyvern............Exactly, pong by Atari. Single game, big console with two paddle controllers, B&W for TV only.

I was 11 months old. I don't think I could comprehend it.

1. The Beatles just disbanded a couple of years ago
I remember when Elvis died.

1. Deep Purple "In Rock" was brand new
  2. Black Sabbath was still with the original line-up
Dio was much better.......
  1. you saw "Star Wars" when it came out originally (bonus points if you saw "2001: A Space Oddysey" when it came out)
Saw Star wars three times in the theater when it first came out.

1. there was no computers (not even a Commodore 64 or a Tandy TRS-80)
My 2600 was a computer to me

1. Coke came in glass bottles (355 mL) with metal cap
I remember when it was available in 12 oz (355 ml) and 7 oz.

the milkman deliver at your door

Don't remember that
  1. there was no bars in the windows
Still no bars in mine.

1. disco was too "nu" for you
Disco was "gay" to me.
  1. you wear silly pants
Everyone had bell-bottoms

nobody heard about AIDS

nope
  1. World War III was always at the turned of the day
I remember the Cuban misslie crisis

1. there was no CDs
unfortunately

1. 16, 33, 45, 78 had a special meaning
Yes they did, but 16 and 78 were a little before my time. Had fun playing the records on the wrong speeds though.

1. C-60, and C-90 was an oddity
C-90 and C120 were. Sixty was pretty "normal" in my time.

1. 8 tracks was something
They changed tracks during the middle of a song. That blowed.

1. open reel meant quality
Definitely

1. VCRs were a dream in a house
Didn't know they existed.....

1. Remote controllers have one button only
The kids were the remote controls

1. there was no cable
yep, I remember three channels and huge "rabbit ears"

1. TV was black and white
Sucked !!

1. there was no cell phones
I wouldn't own one now if my wife didn't make me..........

1. there was no cordless phones
  2. phones had a dial! (no buttons)
sscceeetch......dadadadada screeetch dadada
  1. clockwise and counterclockwise was a logic thing (no digital watches)
yep

1. your first calculator was a Commodore, with LED, 8 digits and only can add, substract, multiply and divide.
I remember the big LEDs, but not the brand

1. playing with guns was considered cool for boys
I had bunches of toy guns

1. Barbie was only a single model and Ken not even existed
I wouldn't know, but I had Gi Joes and Star Trek men

1. microwave ovens didn't exist
Toaster ovens !!!
  1. disposable and recycling weren't in the language :lol:
nope

1. "Batman", "Lost In Space", "Gilligan's Island", "Mash", "Streets Of San Francisco", "SWAT", "Land of Giants", "Astroboy", "Woody Woodpecker", "Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea", "Twilight Zone (with Rod Serling)", "Dragnet", "Cannon", "Bonanza", "Gunsmoke", "Zorro", "Man from U.N.C.L.E", "Wild Wild West", "Mission Impossible" were original series and not reruns
Sinbad The Sailor !!!
  1. James Bond was Sean Connery
To this day, Sean Connery is one of my fave actors....... but James Bond was Roger Moore. Moore was more suave and had much cooler gadgets.

etc.
:worship:[/QUOTE]

bryant

My first gaming memory was when I was 4. I was in pre-school. It was in 1989, when I lived in Texas. My brother owned an NES, a Gameboy and an Atari 2600. Well, I would come home from school at around 12:30pm or so, and he would follow two hours later. Well, within those two hours, I would sneak into my brother's room and play such classics as Castlevania III, Megaman II, Super Mario Bros. Donkey Kong, Frogger, Pole Postion, among others. And when I heard the door close at around 2:30, i'd turn it off and put everything the way it way. And for the longest time, I always thought he never knew, but just recently, he told me je knew all along....damn.
I never got my own system until I was 8 years old, when I got my beloved Super Nintendo for Christmas, which I still play to this very day, along with my old Gameboy, my Sega Dreamcast, Playsatation 1 and Gamecube. I used to be a huge game freak, and i still love them, as I still keep up to date with the gaming biz, but money constraints prevent me from buying all the major next-gen systems and all the big games, so i am a little out of date.

Metal Dog said:
You know you're old school when the only mouse you played with as a kid was the one running around in your kitchen and the web was made and used exclusively by spiders :lol: :lol:
LOL!