Aerosmith
Deep Purple
Yes
ACDC
Queen
Van Halen
Rainbow

I'm sure I left a few out...
Don't worry about it dude. We all have left some bands out. Its the age. Were getting old. Once you start forgetting you can't stop it anymore. o_O

AC/DC - Highway to Hell
BLACK SABBATH - First 6
BLUE OYSTER CULT - Tyranny & Mutation, Secret Treaties & OYFOOYK
BUDGIE - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend
DEEP PURPLE - In Rock, Fireball, Machine Head, Made in Japan, Burn & CTTB
FOGHAT - All
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD - E Pluribus Funk, WAAB & ATGITWB
HAWKWIND - Doremi Fasol Latido & In Search of Space
HEAVY LOAD - Full Speed at High Level
IRON MAIDEN - s/t
JUDAS PRIEST - All
LED ZEPPELIN - I, II & IV
MONTROSE - s/t
MOTORHEAD - Overkill & Bomber
NAZARETH - Razamanazz, Loud 'n' Proud & Hair of the Dog
QUEEN - First 3
RAINBOW - All
RIOT - All
ROBIN TROWER - Live
RORY GALLAGHER - All
ROSE TATTOO - All
RUSH - Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres & 2112
SAXON - s/t
SCORPIONS - All
STATUS QUO - All
TED NUGENT - All
TRIUMPH - All
UFO - All except maybe the first one or two
URIAH HEEP - Very 'Eavy, Very Humble
VAN HALEN - I & II
ZZ TOP - All

Hawk: Pavlov's Dog were truly amazing. Shurkamp's voice is one of the most painfully great voices ever!
About 70s in general: I think that they were the best decade concerning rock music in general. Lots of GREAT MUSIC, many innovative and unique bands, and a HUGE musical inheritance.
p.s. ALL OF YOU must check CAPTAIN BEYOND and their same titled album, it is probably the greatest hard rock monument ever.

IOfTheStorm said:
About 70s in general: I think that they were the best decade concerning rock music in general. Lots of GREAT MUSIC, many innovative and unique bands, and a HUGE musical inheritance.
Sometimes that's what I think about 70s, almost all the bands mentionned in this thread were/are unique and influential, isn't it amazing?
I have to check that Capain Beyond also.

Hawk said:
I guess 70s Priest is more a bit demanding than they were later. I like the fact that they played with time changes and deeper lyrics than their work in the 80s. You should check out "Beyond the Realms of Death" The best song Priest recorded in the 70s. It's on "Stained Class".

I don't know what you heard of 70s Priest but every 70s Priest album is different.
70s Priest had a much better drummer than the robotic Dave Holland :erk:
I like every album released by the Priest with Rob, still their 70s era is very underrated, they were more creative by the time IMO. Not that they weren't good in the 80's, far from that, still 70s Priest had something special.

Fangface said:
Sometimes that's what I think about 70s, almost all the bands mentionned in this thread were/are unique and influential, isn't it amazing?
I have to check that Capain Beyond also.

70s Priest had a much better drummer than the robotic Dave Holland :erk:
I like every album released by the Priest with Rob, still their 70s era is very underrated, they were more creative by the time IMO. Not that they weren't good in the 80's, far from that, still 70s Priest had something special.
Yep that also what I feel about 70s Priest.

IOfTheStorm said:
Hawk: Pavlov's Dog were truly amazing. Shurkamp's voice is one of the most painfully great voices ever!
p.s. ALL OF YOU must check CAPTAIN BEYOND and their same titled album, it is probably the greatest hard rock monument ever.
The first time I heard David Shurkamp's voice I could not believe my ears! IOfTheStorm do you like Kansas? And have you figured out the difference between Holland and The Netherlands ;) Just kidding dude. Just to show you I'll cheat and Lie to see a Sieges Even show :)

As far as metal-related music is concerned, I´m probably more a "child of the eighties", because that was the time (1984 to be precise) when I got into metal and there were so many interesting new bands to discover that I didn´t neither have the time nor the money to bother much about releases from the seventies. However there are some albums from the seventies that I "discovered" in the late eighties:

Jimi Hendrix - "Band Of Gypsies"
Mother´s Finest - "Live" (Probably their best album - at least of those I´ve got.)
Genesis - "Selling England By The Pound"

Only recently I bought three re-releases by a band called Nektar (after someone had sent me a CD-R with some of their songs) and I really like "Journey To The Centre Of The Eye" and "A Tab In The Ocean"! ("Recycled" isn´t bad, either.)

I guess I should also check out some stuff by King Crimson. Already years ago, someone had recorded a tape for me with some of their songs, and only some weeks ago I listened to it again. Among these songs were "21st Century Schizoid Man Including Mirrors" and - my favourite one - "Epitaph Including March For No Reason And Tomorrow And Tomorrow".

Well, maybe now that I find hardly any new interesting metal albums anymore, there´s also some time to look for some interesting stuff from the seventies. (Apart from that, there are still some new interesting albums/artists from non-metal genres, though sometimes they may be very hard to find.)

Burkhard said:
Well, maybe now that I find hardly any new interesting metal albums anymore, there´s also some time to look for some interesting stuff from the seventies. (Apart from that, there are still some new interesting albums/artists from non-metal genres, though sometimes they may be very hard to find.)
Have you checked out OHM? This is Chris Poland's band. He plays fusion with this band and it great. In fact my favorite album of the year up till now. His "Live On Kpfk 90.7 FM" is a live album. And its freaking amazing !!

Here's his website:

http://www.chrispoland.com/index_broad.html

Did I miss it or did nobody say CHEAP TRICK?!?!?!? Or what about SKYNYRD? DAMN!

ALSO
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
VAN HALEN II
KISS - s/t, hotter than hell
LYNYRD SKYNYRD - s/t and second helping
SEX PISTOLS - never ming the bollocks

shit! I also forgot the sex pistols, The Ramones AND Alice Cooper! Add Ramones-S/T, Sex Pistols-Nevermind The Bollacks and Alice Cooper-Welcome To My Nightmare to my list, too!

1970-1979:

Black Sabbath - all
Motorhead - all
Thin Lizzy - all
Nazareth - all
Judas Priest - all
Riot - "Rock City", "Fire "Down Under"
Rainbow -all
Deep Purple - "Made In Japan" (and the compilations of the time)
Scorpions - "Fly To The Rainbow", "In Trance", "Virgin Killer", "Taken By Force", "Lovedrive"
Jethro Tull - 'Aqualung'
Blue Oyster Cult - "Tyranny And Mutation", "Secreat Treaties", "Agents Of Fortune"
Saxon - "Saxon"
Pink Floyd - "Atom Heart Mother", "Meddle", "Obscured By Clouds", "Dark Side Of The Moon", "Wish You Were Here", "Animals" (maybe "The Wall")
Focus - "Moving Waves"
Rush - all (except the first)
Rick Wakeman - "The Six Wives Of Henry VIII", "Journey To The Center Of The Earth", "The Myths And Legends Of King Arthur And The Knights Of The Round Table", "No Earthly Connection", "Criminal Record"
Yes - "Tormato"
Andrew Lloyd Webber & Tim Rice - "JesusChrist Superstar"
Whitesnake - "Trouble", "Ready An' Willing".
Alice Cooper - "Love It To Death", "School's Out", "Killer", "Billion Dollar Babies", "Muscle Of Love", "Welcome To My Nightmare", "Goes To Hell", "Lace & Whiskey".

IOfTheStorm said:
HAWK: Hey Kansas totally OWN, i put "Masque" on my list
Icarus (Borne On Wings Of Steel) is one of my top 10 fav songs and one of the more epic songs ever.
Yep! Thats my favorite Kansas song too. You really are my long lost brother :lol:

Nice list Wyvern

I will make a list of bands I liked during the time. I didn't "discover" metal until 1980 with AC/DC "Back in Black"

Foreigner - Foreighner
Foreighner - Double Vision
Foreighner - Head games
Boston - Boston
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Neil Young - Rust Never Sleeps
Kansas - Leftoverture
Kansas - point of Know return
Elton john - Greatest Hits and Vol. 2
Steve Miller - Fly like an Eagle
The Beatles - red and blue albums (greatest hits)
Elvis - Aloha from Hawaii
Bay City Rollers - greatest Hits
Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown

I also had a buncgh of those K-tel records with various artists. >:p~

Bryant

Bryant said:
I also had a buncgh of those K-tel records with various artists. >:p~

Bryant
Of course you did, we all had those. They were kinda hard to keep away from those day's. :) I listened to most of the music you listed. Kansas and Boston were favorites. I still really like the Beatles, believe it or not, they had a sense of melody that really set them apart. You should check out Revolver, The White album, Abbey Road and Rubber Soul. All of them great albums.

Maybe I should do a really really old school tread called "post your favorite 60s albums" :lol:

There were a few really good bands in these day's. Of course Zeppelin started in '69 as did Black Sabbath. Kinda hard to believe :) One reviewer wrote that Sabbath sounded as if they raked their instruments with gardening tools!! Really! :)

In the mid 60s I listened to mercy beat if that term means anything to you. Its a style of pop music played by band that were mostly from Liverpool. Hermann and the Hermits [No milk today] and The Hollies [Summer in the city] come to mind. You can be as metal as they come and still enjoy Buona Sera from Louis Prima.

Buona Sera signorita
Buona Sera

It is time to say goodby to Napoli... :)

Of course you did, we all had those. They were kinda hard to keep away from those day's. :) I listened to most of the music you listed. Kansas and Boston were favorites. I still really like the Beatles, believe it or not, they had a sense of melody that really set them apart. You should check out Revolver, The White album, Abbey Road and Rubber Soul. All of them great albums.

I am fairly familiar with all of the later Beatle albums when they stopped touring and became quite "experimental" which really started with Revolver. I like the albums you named less Rubber Soul (it's fair thoug) and also enjoy Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery Tour.
Boston was a big influence on me. Though they are very melodic, the guitar tone and production was just out of this world. EVERY other band in that era sounded flat compared to those guys. Even great albums like VH1 sounded like it was recorded in a garage compared to Boston. Don't get me wrong, that style of production is too slick for most bands, but it did give me a high standard for the way a rock band should "sound" early in my music life.

Bryant

Judas Priest-Sin After Sin
Judas Priest - Killing Machine
Kansas - Leftoverture
Bethnal -Crash Landing
Rush - 2112
Boston - Boston
UFO- Lights Out
Aviary -Aviary
nazareth - No Mean City

No doubt I shall remember lots more later on