Old school bassists

iamknotinsane

New Metal Member
Jul 14, 2013
Okay, so I heard a pretty interesting conversation the other day about how some bassists feel under appreciated of their craft. I must agree, without the bass player....the pace of the songs, even with percussion...is a bit bland, especially in speed and power metal. But to honor these musicians, name one bassist from any 70s-80s band that you think was mind blowing.

:devil:

Okay, so I heard a pretty interesting conversation the other day about how some bassists feel under appreciated of their craft. I must agree, without the bass player....the pace of the songs, even with percussion...is a bit bland, especially in speed and power metal. But to honor these musicians, name one bassist from any 70s-80s band that you think was mind blowing.

:devil:

a little before the 70's but jack bruce and john entwistle seem to be the bar which all bass players that came after them ae measured. billy sheehan is another guy that seemed to being a lot of new stuff to the table

are these all bass players you didn't know before?

I know a handful of them, Steve Harris from Maiden, Ian Kilmister from Motorhead, John Jones of Led Zeppelin, Billy Sheehan is a legend, Marco Hietala of Tarot, Daniel Lapp of Sortilège, Timi Hansen of Mercyful Fate, John Myung of Dream Theater, Trevor Bolder from Uriah Heep and maybe a few more here and there like Stuart Hamm when he performed with Joe Satriani live (not really metal but still an influential bassist). But I am always looking to learn more especially since my knowledge of 80s metal is still growing. And I like to learn about what other people think in terms of who was influential during those times. It's interesting.

I know a handful of them, Steve Harris from Maiden, Ian Kilmister from Motorhead, John Jones of Led Zeppelin, Billy Sheehan is a legend, Marco Hietala of Tarot, Daniel Lapp of Sortilège, Timi Hansen of Mercyful Fate, John Myung of Dream Theater, Trevor Bolder from Uriah Heep and maybe a few more here and there like Stuart Hamm when he performed with Joe Satriani live (not really metal but still an influential bassist). But I am always looking to learn more especially since my knowledge of 80s metal is still growing. And I like to learn about what other people think in terms of who was influential during those times. It's interesting.

take in the greatness that was john entwistle of THE WHO:

acoustic bass solo:

this is the only jack bruce bass solo i can find on youtube right now which is a shame since he is old and had a liver transplant here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooo John Entwistle I am familiar with from The Who. I grew up listening to them and watching Roger Daltrey switch into acting. Cream, I know of the band but not familiar with their bassist. If you got more to throw at me, please do! I really appreciate all the info!

Ooo John Entwistle I am familiar with from The Who. I grew up listening to them and watching Roger Daltrey switch into acting. Cream, I know of the band but not familiar with their bassist. If you got more to throw at me, please do! I really appreciate all the info!

anymore bass players or more clips of jack bruce from cream?

Geddy Lee
Geezer Butler
Phil Lynnott
Roger Glover
Bob Daisley
Lemmy
Joe Bouchard
Cliff Burton
Tony Levin
Chris Squire
Doug Fergusson
Greg Lake
Roger Waters
Steve Harris

More modern:

Tony Franklin
Steve DiGiorgio
Billy Sheehan
Philip Bynoe
Jonas Reingold
Matt Bissonette
Tal Wilkenfeld

just awoke, my brain is numb so I left many out I can't recall right now.

Lots of very good bassists listed, so a couple of more obscure ones who have impressed me over the years:

Doug Pinnick - King's X
Troy Gregory - Flotsam and Jetsam

and as always, I have to give a shout to Accept, and Peter Baltes totally deserves to be in this company!

Geddy Lee!!!!! Well, he has been said before. A couple more:

Doug Keyser from WATCHTOWER. Crazy freak but superb skilled bass player and totally funny live.

Keith Menser from MYSTIC FORCE. IMO the perfect bass player for a progressive US metal band.