My impressions of the Wii U

Shadow298

UNLEASH THE GUAN
Sep 4, 2002
Without the Darkness
Visit site
OK, been a couple of days now, so here are my impressions of the Wii U console and the games that I have.

The console:

Positive: the controller is amazing. Honestly, despite its size, it is on of the most comfortable I've held. Definitely well designed. The screen is handy too. Especially if you want to take care of a couple of things or are waiting for something to finish on TV. All the inital pre-game stuff can be done and it keeps track of updates on it, so you don't have to sit in front of the TV watching or flicking channels.
The deluxe edition comes with a charging cradle, which is handy because the battery life is meant to be poor. So you can rest it in the cradle during cut scenes and such to get a little extra boast. the cable to charge the pad plugs into a wall socket but has a long reach, so it isn't troublesome.
It's also a very quiet unit..
The online functions are really handy, especially the open community and being able to see what other people think about a game Twitter style. Facebook integration would be handy but not too important.

Negative: the OS is very slow to load things. This is entirely a software issue and one that they will hopefully fix in coming patches and updates. Other software issues include problems with some games that should also be fixed. The huge update when you first turn it on is also a pain because it takes several hours to finish and install. But was forewarned about it, so wasn't too much of a hassle but is mandatory if you want the online functions.
Also lack of some launch titles for download, like Trine 2, is annoying. As is its price (bloody Australian tax that overseas companies impose).

Games:

New Super Mario Bros. U:
A hark back to Super Mario World on the SNES (still the best Mario game out there) with it's open map and secret paths, it's a fun game. The controls feel slippery though but that makes it like an old Mario game. I'm just too out of practice with 2D platformers I feel, having played J-RPGs and Skyrim a lot of late.
It's worht getting. Nothing mind blowing but looks beautiful. The main screen is mirrored on the controller, which can be distracting but handy if someone else wants to watch TV or the like.

Assassins Creed 3:
Just another game in the series. Nothing special add to the Wii U version, apart from the HUD now being on the GamePad, freeing up the screen. This can be troublesome when you want to use the map because you have to glance between the two but easy once you get used to it. The controls are as troublesome as always but that's par of the course for these games.
If you've already played it on other systems, no need to get it here.

COD Black Ops 2:
Basically just another COD game. With a shit story full of racism. The controls handle really well in it with the GamePad. Not much on the screen but you can stream the full game to it if you want and it's meant to be really handy in multiplayer (which I haven't tried yet).
Meant to be some frame rate issues but haven't noticed them yet. Looks as good as the 360 version.

Nintendo Land:
the mini game collection to show off the new system. Unfortunately I can't get it to work due to software issues (not an uncommon problem it seems and meant to be patched soon), so can't talk about it.

ZombiU:
the 1st person survival horror game from Ubisoft that actually makes great use of the GamePad's screen, integrating it into the game. I haven't played much of it because I don't want to be slaughtered and start again. It's meant to be a punishing game with some bugs and not in the mood for such things at the moment. But the perma-death of a character is a good mechanic, as is the use of screens and not being able to pause in game adds to the tension. Zombies are touch to kill and pistols don't help as it attracts the monsters. Lots of planning and playing is needed for this game.

Overall:
I'm enjoying it. A lot better than the Wii (which is a good console in its own way) but hampered by launch issues.
Unless you are an uber fan, you can wait a bit before you get your one. I recommend the black deluxe package for all the handy extras that it has.
Can't wait for the games due out next year (as well as the one I'm waiting on being shipped).

I'm not completely sold on why I should get one yet. None of the games are "must haves" in my book, and from what I can see it doesn't really do anything else. I've never been a Nintendo fanboy, and none of their franchises really have any great connection with me. I expect that any super great titles that I'll want to play will also come out on XBox.

I got burned with the Wii with only a couple of stand out games. It's a wait and see for me.

I'm not completely sold on why I should get one yet. None of the games are "must haves" in my book, and from what I can see it doesn't really do anything else. I've never been a Nintendo fanboy, and none of their franchises really have any great connection with me. I expect that any super great titles that I'll want to play will also come out on XBox.

I got burned with the Wii with only a couple of stand out games. It's a wait and see for me.

The good thing about the Wii U is that it will have more exclusive titles than the other two systems because of the GamePad but they won't be out until next year because companies are always conservative about such releases.

Where the Wii U is about to shine is indie download titles and retro gaming (but Australia might get screwed out of some titles because of having to submit to rating here and such).

The Wii had some very solid games but too much pap as well, since it was the family and party console.

As I said: for non-fanboys, best to wait until next year when the bugs are ironed out, more games are available and the price drops.

Also, the next XBox is meant to be out by the end of next year but no one is really working on next gen games at the moment.
Also talk that Sony might have to reduce it's production and drop out of the next gen race due to lackluster sales outside of Japan (even though the PS3 has excellent exclusive titles unlike the 360). But, conversely, MS has dropped out of the Japanese market all together, knowing that they can never beat Sony and Nintendo there.

Interesting days for gaming ahead at least. :)

The good thing about the Wii U is that it will have more exclusive titles with bullshit controls forced around token alternate input paradigms in a weak attempt to highlight a supposed 'advantage' over systems with the 'limitations' of a conventional controller, despite the trade-off of making the controls far less accurate and intuitive, and thus the games overall far less enjoyable (a'la Donkey Kong Returns, Smash Bros, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword,

Fixed.

Finally got my hands on one at a mate's place and wow, it 100% completely lived up to my expectations of how shit it would be.

I can't see myself being tempted to ditch the Wii and PS3 any time soon.

Yeah, still not sold on anything next gen yet. MS has pulled back on all of the XBox One shenanigans they had going which is a start, I guess, but there are still no "must have" games yet. Even on the Wii U, and that's had over 6 months to get something impressive happening. I may just end up building a new PC to hookup to the TV.

Also, if you are a nostalgia freak, the Nintendo Virtual Console is getting some great releases but the costs in Australia are appallingly high (shock & horror at that realisation) but they often have good sales and combo deals if you are patient enough to wait.

Ecogamers often post up the deals, as well as other bargains: http://www.ecogamer.com.au/

I was never a Nintendo fan, and then I got a Wii. I regret getting the Wii. What a waste of money it was. Any Nintendo console from now on would have to be flat out awesome for me to part money with it. I've got a 360 and hardly get to play that as it is, so it's not really worthwhile anyway.