Old school, you can't handle old school!

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
I just got Angel Dust - "Into The Dark Past". Man I love AD as a prog/power band, "Border Of Reality", "Bleed" and "Enlighten The Darkness" are awsome albums ("Of Human Bondage" is good too). But this debut, pure thrash, energy, speed, great vocals (not as Thurisch, but better than Coe).

If metal had only stood like that, I miss the old days...:p

EVERLOSTINDEADETERNITY said:
WHE HES LIKE " IF IT MAKES ME BLEED " DUNANA DUNUNA, anyway you get the point
Ahhh? Don't get it completely. 'Bleed' was the song that introduced me to Angel Dust, still one of my favorites.

Frightened Shadows
Appear behind the light
And the coldness seizes me
A paralyzing pain catches me again
Can anybody tell me what's going on
Another day is over
see horror on the screen
The shadows gonna
touch my heart
A skeleton hand
that bears all the grief
Does lightly stroke my sleeping emphaty
Can I leave and close my eyes
for one more night
Can I pay to be set free
of all this pain
That makes me bleed
Gotta meet the pries
and ask for his help
Will the collection
heal my soul
Can money clear the temple
of prejudice and lies
Can I reach heaven and enter paradise
Love and faith
Future and hope
Never appear in their lives
Has all guilt been payed
by the death of christ
Or is there something to apologize

Bryant said:
Love Angel Dust, especially "Bleed." EtD, BoR, and OHB are all very good as well but those are the only ones I own or have heard.

Bryant
It doesn't surprise me. Those are the only ones easily available (all Century Media). The old ones from the 80's, when the band was thrash are collectors items. The original pressings are out of question, I saw one on e-Bay two weeks ago sold at $113 ($250 to buy it without bidding). I got finally ITDP as the "bootleg" copy from Scratch records at a reasonable price.

@ Iced In Flames: If you got both ITDP and TDYWD in a single day, that's one hell of a lucky day o_O. It took me months to get those on a severe tracking online. Oh, and I agree 'Come Into Resistence', 'I Need You', 'Cross Of Hatred' are just razorblade songs.:headbang:

But mainly mt thread was about the fact that as a classic thrash album, ITDP is just perfect. 1986, damn I was not even in my career (still wandering through college aimlessly), but that metal was the thing, you know what I mean, don't you? Is not that today metal is bad or anything like it, but maybe because we grew up with that the flavor of 80's metal is just awsome.
This album came in a perfect timing of my life to lift my spirit in a time of need ;)

Into the Dark Past is indeed a kick-ass album, I prefer the follower though, To Dust You Will Decay.
The songwriting is top notch on ITDP, but the 2 "singers" are not my cup of tea, I'd like to hear these songs with another thrash singer.

As for the "new" Angel Dust, I think they topped with Enlighten the Darkness, Bleed being a close second.
I was a bit disapointed by Human Bondage, still a good one, but not up to my expectations, like something was missing... Bernd Aufermann maybe?

Wicked Child said:
I've heard OF Angel Dust, but never actually heard them. I heard they were like Power/Thrash, or something?
Funny sig, even if I'm not a Republican :loco: But your avatar save your soul :lol:

Angel Dust has two distictive eras, separated by a 10 years gap (disabanded). Two thrash albums in the 80's: "Into The Dark Past" and "To Dust You Will Decay", I prefer the first one unlike mon ami Fangface :p

Four power/prog albums in the 90's: "Border Of Reality", "Bleed", "Enlighten The Darkness", "Of Human Bondage". The general consensus among fans in that the third is the best and the last weak. I like them all on their own basis, maybe OHB has more of the thrash legacy than the previous ones.

I fall for AD because of the song 'Bleed'. I like so much I got the album, I like the album so much, I got the rest. In the end I make the whole collection.

The first two albums are basically impossible to get. The original pressings are colelctors items above $100 a piece. The Japanese bootlegs appear from time to time around $20-50 on e-Bay and similar places. The second era albums are all CM and therefore cheap and easily available.

Wyvern said:
Funny sig, even if I'm not a Republican :loco: But your avatar save your soul :lol:

Angel Dust has two distictive eras, separated by a 10 years gap (disabanded). Two thrash albums in the 80's: "Into The Dark Past" and "To Dust You Will Decay", I prefer the first one unlike mon ami Fangface :p

Four power/prog albums in the 90's: "Border Of Reality", "Bleed", "Enlighten The Darkness", "Of Human Bondage". The general consensus among fans in that the third is the best and the last weak. I like them all on their own basis, maybe OHB has more of the thrash legacy than the previous ones.

I fall for AD because of the song 'Bleed'. I like so much I got the album, I like the album so much, I got the rest. In the end I make the whole collection.

The first two albums are basically impossible to get. The original pressings are colelctors items above $100 a piece. The Japanese bootlegs appear from time to time around $20-50 on e-Bay and similar places. The second era albums are all CM and therefore cheap and easily available.
I actually consider myself middle of the road, leaning slightly towards conserative. I do have some liberal views. But, yeh, I hate John Kerry, and when I found that, i HAD to put that as my sig.:lol: And yes, Motorhead rules.:headbang:
But on to Angel Dust! hmm..I heard they were power/thrash, didn't know they were thrash THEN power metal. I heard they were a fusion of the two. But it makes it more interesting. I LOVE thrash and i like power metal. I'll hunt down "Bleed" and "Enlighten The Darkness". And that's a shame the early albums are near impossible to get! They need to re-issue them! And thanks for the info.

Wyvern said:
hehe I didn't know you were that of a thrasher Wyv' :p

Here's my 90's Angel Dust ranking :
1. Enlighten the Darkness
2. Bleed
3. Border of Reality
4. Of Human Bondage

Fangface said:
hehe I didn't know you were that of a thrasher Wyv' :p

Here's my 90's Angel Dust ranking :
2. Bleed
3. Border of Reality
4. Of Human Bondage
I like good thrash a lot, the problem is that I like clean vocals too, and sometimes is difficult to get both even with old school bands.

My ranking differ a bit from yours:
2. Border of Reality
3. Bleed
4. Of Human Bondage

@ Wicked Child: They were talking about reissuing the first two albums. But the problem is that the original band was created by the drummer Dirk Assmuth and the bass Frank Banx. And Frank finally left the band in not very good terms, so I don't know now who holds the right to re-isuue the albums. But hey I got them (the bootlegs)!, so is just a matter of patience with e-Bay and other online sellers (check also www.gemm.com).

Wyvern said:
I like good thrash a lot, the problem is that I like clean vocals too, and sometimes is difficult to get both even with old school bands.
Dude if you likethrash and clean vocals you HAVE to check out Powermad (not to be confused with Powerman 5000.) They were one of the most underrated thrash bands in the late 80's. Their CD, "Absolute Power" is a must have for any thrash fan. The lead vocalist does use some rasp sometimes, but he also has a high clean voice he uses a bunch as well. It's great stuff.

Bryant

Wyvern said:
@ Wicked Child: They were talking about reissuing the first two albums. But the problem is that the original band was created by the drummer Dirk Assmuth and the bass Frank Banx. And Frank finally left the band in not very good terms, so I don't know now who holds the right to re-isuue the albums. But hey I got them (the bootlegs)!, so is just a matter of patience with e-Bay and other online sellers (check also www.gemm.com).
Frank Banx holds the rights for these albums, he clearly said that he would like to reissue them through his own record company.

Bryant said:
Dude if you likethrash and clean vocals you HAVE to check out Powermad (not to be confused with Powerman 5000.) They were one of the most underrated thrash bands in the late 80's. Their CD, "Absolute Power" is a must have for any thrash fan. The lead vocalist does use some rasp sometimes, but he also has a high clean voice he uses a bunch as well. It's great stuff.

Bryant

Thanks for the hint
14.gif

I agree with the Powermad recommandation :headbang:

Even if they're not as thrashy as Vio-Lence or Overkill for example, they're more in the power/speed/thrash vein, still excellent.