Old thrash bands with more "mature" late-career albums

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
TheInsane's thread kinda reminded me of this. I've noticed that several thrash bands which become more mainstream late in their career often produced damn good albums as a result. The main examples I'm thinking of are Megadeth's Cryptic Writings and Death Angel's The Art of Dying, both of which are much more mature-sounding than their early efforts. I realise I have little reason to assume that this is a trend, but it would be damn cool if it were.

If anyone knows of other thrash bands that had similar career turns and produced albums with a similar feel to the above, post them here.

The Ritual was pretty cool, but it lacked solidity. Great first few opening tracks.

One band that always has gone pretty strong is Sodom. I thought M-16 & the s/t were both great. More cohesive than their early efforts, but not necessarily as good.

Anacrusis - Screams & Whispers (not really mainstream, but definitely more melodic and mature)
Forbidden - Distortion
Flotsam & Jetsam - Cuatro/Drift/High

Metallica - St. Anger

allmusic said:
Metallica's first new material in over five years arrived after a flurry of non-musical activity that included a much-publicized spat over Internet file sharing, the departure of bassist Jason Newsted, and a lengthy stay in rehab for James Hetfield that suspended the recording of a new album indefinitely. Hetfield returned to the fold in late 2001. Still without a bass player, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett, and their newly sober frontman recruited longtime producer Bob Rock to man Newsted's spot, and creation of the album commenced in May 2002. St. Anger arrived a year later as a punishing, unflinching document of internal struggle -- taking listeners inside the bruised yet vital body of Metallica, but ultimately revealing the alternately torturous and defiant demons that wrestle inside Hetfield's brain. St. Anger is an immediate record. Written largely in the first person, it never warns of impending doom, doesn't struggle with claustrophobia, and has care neither for religion's safety nor its hypocrisy. (The religious symbolism of its title and artwork seems only to function as a metaphorical device.) Lacking the heavy metal baggage of these past themes, Metallica is left to ponder only itself and its singer's psychosis, and delivers its diagnosis on slabs of speed metal informed with years of innovation and texture. The record exists as it ends. As the lockstep thrash of the eight-plus minute "All Within My Hands" tumbles toward its final gasp, Hetfield is explicit in his aims. "I will only let you breathe my air that you receive," he seethes. "Then we'll see if I let you love me." Ulrich's drums sputter in fits and starts, but the guitars are already dying, shutting down as Hetfield stabs at the microphone. "Kill kill kill kill kill," he screams, and you have to check the wall for a splatter radius. It's a brutal, ugly end to an album that switches on like a bare light bulb in an underground cave. It blasts each corner with harsh, unfiltered light for 75 minutes, until the bulb is shattered with a combat boot, leaving disquieting after-images exploding on the backs of your eyelids.

"Frantic" is driven forth by a snare drum that just may be made of iron, Hammett and Hetfield's guitars eschewing separate parts in favor of a roaring tag-team approach. A hint of the band's mid-'90s nod to alternative drifts in during a bridge, but it's quickly swallowed alive by the song's muscular groove, never to be heard from again. "St. Anger," the single, marks the first appearance of a vocal technique that lurks in the shadows throughout the album. As Hetfield groans, "I feel my world shake/It's hard to see clear," he seems manipulated by an unseen force, flickering like bad reception. It's unsettling, and startlingly effective. Hetfield's psyche is on trial throughout, and though he often expresses confusion and anger over his struggle ("Some Kind of Monster" and especially "Dirty Window," in which he becomes both judge and jury), the mechanistic rhythms of the band seem to give him strength. "Shoot Me Again" -- another seven-minute epic -- becomes Hetfield's sneering answer to himself. It lurches into gear, juxtaposing a deceptively soothing verse with a dirty guitar line that explodes in the song's titular money shot. The resonating cymbal cracks during its stops and starts are particularly satisfying, as you can imagine the members of Metallica facing each other in a circle, jamming the song's jagged melody down the throat of a solitary microphone. (The image comes to life in St. Anger's bonus DVD edition, which captures Hetfield, Hammett, Ulrich, and new bassist Robert Trujillo in their headquarters compound, shredding through each song on the album in its entirety.) St. Anger isn't a comeback, and it's not a throwback. The album is exactly what Metallica needed to make at this point in its career, after clawing its way to the top of the metal scrap heap, reeducating a generation of bands, and popularizing its genre beyond anyone's expectations. St. Anger looks inward with a hard eye, and while it finds some grinning demons in that pit, it also unearths some of the sickest grooves of Metallica's 20-plus-year lifespan.

This St. Anger sounds like hot stuff. Thanks for bringing that little gem to light for me, Omni.

Killing Season is so much better than The Art of Dying. (Death Angel)

Coroner - Grin

grinsmall.jpg

Grin, the last Coroner album of all-new material to be released, was simultaneously the culmination and transformation of everything the band's first four albums had achieved. Fearlessly experimental, challenging, and "heavy" in a way that goes beyond mere sound, Grin has stood the test of time to emerge as Coroner's ultimate statement. It is a recording of astounding musical power, the conjuring of a ferocious, intangible force that the musicians have created and are battling to control. Even the album's more sedate passages ("Dream Path"; "Theme for Silence") seem afflicted with an underlying anger and tension. The music is like a living thing, snaking outward in a patient search to discover itself before moving in for the kill. When a positively vicious-sounding Ron Royce snarls "Nails in my brain, NAILS HURT!" his statement comes off as something more than just another fussy metaller declaring his vague angst; it leaves one with the feeling that the vocalist has tapped into that dark, primal side of himself that all of us possess... and do our best to keep buried. Taken as a unified statement, the songs on Grin would seem to be about just that--the struggle of mankind with his primitive instincts, trying to make sense of the artificial and often brutal society he has fashioned for himself. This is of course a universal concern, one that affects even those not consciously aware of it, and the importance of this can't be overlooked in relation to Grin's impact on the listener. Many of the best albums in rock history are those that take us on an emotional journey while examining the human condition: Dark Side of the Moon, Tommy, OK Computer. Grin is just such an album. That it has never received its due from the music establishment or a wider audience is truly an injustice. But then, for many, confronting what lies within is simply too much to bear.

Why do you go through the trouble of putting a lightbulb above your every post? Seems pointless.
I pondered this at some point as well, but it doesn't take much effort at all. Just one click.It's not like she marks her posts with different corresponding icons. Now that would seem troublesome.