Bands/albums you used to dig, but nowadays feel kinda meh about

Henrik Main

Hello
Aug 10, 2002
Norway
Visit site
I've strayed away from a lot of the bands I used to dig and likely hype on the RC forum, some examples to follow:

- Synth based/overly melodic black metal, with a few exceptions. Even "In The Nightside Eclipse" doesn't resonate *that* much to me anymore, sadly, even though it's still a solid 4 out of 6 (used to think it was the best album ever). Old Dimmu Borgir, save for a few tracks on "For All Tid", does nothing for me anymore. Limbonic Art, Windir, Keep of Kalessin - haven't listened to any ot their tracks in ages. I used to think Gehenna - Second Spell was the second coming when I was 17, but it blatantly isn't (even though it's still a decent album, but far from one of the best of the genre, which I used to think). Riff based and gritty stuff like early Darkthrone, early Gorgoroth, early Enslaved (even though they use sometimes utilize a hypnotic kinda synth), Immortal, Dødheimsgard's "Kronet Til Konge"), Marduk etc. are the only bands that seem to have stood the test of time from that era.

- A lot of the late 90s/early 2000s death metal bands/albums I used to dig. I used to think that Vader's early 2000s shit, Decapitated's "Organic Hallucinosis", Myrkskog, Zyklon etc. were the pinnacle of the genre. They're not.

- "Modern thrash metal". No, Dew-Scented is not a very good band.

Please come forth and share your (similar) experiences

HA! That is hilarious.

I'm still waiting for the day when White Zombie gets old to mine ear, but gorram it, somehow Gen X Über '90s Disco Rawk still sounds great to me.

I was pretty over Opeth for awhile, but the last time I revisited them, I had a great time. Even with Morningrise, which I never much cared for until six months ago.

I finally got sick of Colour Haze, I could take one album and that's more than plenty. Well... maybe two albums. But that's it!

Vader is a band I got less interested in the more I heard. But I do still think De Profundis is fabulous.

Sepulura's Chaos A.D. is garbage. That album blew me away for a decade and then one day I suddenly realized how much it sucked. I still think Roots is good tho LOLZ. But none of that matters because Schizophrenia > the rest

Reactions: SonOfNun
Today bands in the vein of November's Doom, Daylight Dies, etcetera would go over about as well as ripping ass in church for me. Nothing wrong with these acts on a whole. They just suffer from a forced romanticism, cookie cutter formula. Thankfully I dont own too much of this shart.

Opeth will always have a special place. Cant imagine an album such as Orchid falling flat.

Dream Theater's Awake album didnt do much for me last time I heard it. All pretty meh up until Space Dyed Vest which tugged. Not an uber DT fanboy, but always thought that album to be exceptional.

Manilla Road

Cant listen to this band anymore. I sometimes wonder what I ever heard. They got some good songs but few awesome albums.

- most thrash metal. the stuff i still listen to ever is either the fastest and most brutal stuff (dark angel, old sepultura, etc) or some of the more intelligent techy stuff (coroner). the middle of the road testament shit can fukk off

- most trad doom except the real-ass classics.

- overtly monochromatic & helpless depressive black metal and funeral doom etc (nortt, comatose vigil, worship, all this stuff i used to care about)

- astrofaes/lucifugum/drudkh/svarga/every ukrainian totally-not-nazi-you-guys band except nokturnal mortum who are honestly on a level on their own

- remember RAPTURE (FIN), the katatonia ripoff band? i used to love love love "songs for the withering" but it's sooo fukcing cheesy if i listen to it today

- post-bm ulver has aged terribly imo, i cannot deal with garm's vocals and with the benefit of hindsight "perdition city" might possibly not be as deep and profound as it pretends to be

Ive always had an issue with garms vocals. They arent terrible but just sometimes nails on a chalkboard. I dig the borknagar albums though

Im still a ukrainian fan. Drudkh, astrofaes, nm, walknut. Something about the misty triumphant feel.

Asphyx. I used to loooove this band. Tried listening again and couldnt make it through. I didnt even try the new one

That goes for most 30+ year old death metal bands that have released the same album all their career. There are exceptions like Nile but your -tion bands can kick rocks

Devin Townsend

I was a major fanboi when I first heard Ocean Machine and Terria. I bought everything that dude did, even the mediocre-to-shit SYL albums. I think Epicloud was the last thing I bought. Little did I know the only ones anyone really needs are Terria, Ocean Machine and Accelereted Evolution. I will always hang onto those and spin em here and there.

Reactions: Krilons Resa
- overtly monochromatic & helpless depressive black metal and funeral doom etc (nortt, comatose vigil, worship, all this stuff i used to care about)

I think this mostly sums it up for me--especially for a lot of the funeral doom-I had a much higher tolerance for this stuff in the late 2000's. All I really need is skepticism, unholy, disembowelment, dusk, mournful congregation, and esoteric and i'm completely set with the entire genre.

I think i've generally lost interest in a lot of the euro neo folk I used to be into, but I'll listen occasionally.

With post 2000 ulver, I think perdition city is still awesome, as is a quick fix of melancholy (for anyone that still likes the latter please check out tilt by scott walker--it's essentially who garm was imitating with vocals on the ep).

I do think the last three ulver albums---ATGCLVLSSCAP [underrated], julius caesar and flowers are infinitely better than their blood inside, shadow of the sun, war of the roses trio of albums)

I mostly did this for teh funnays, but it's somewhat true. Opeth will always be special, but I really don't listen to them very much these days. I'll break out Orchid, Morningrise, or Deliverance every once in awhile. Haven't had a desire to listen to the others really.

I can't really say much else for this thread. I got rid of most of the stuff I listened to back in the day a long time ago. I've somehow come full circle and am in a discovery phase where everything feels fresh and new.

Suddenly felt the urge to check if the forum was still alive in January, after a hiatus that lasted about ten years, and found a vibrant community consisting of many of the old classic posters. Couldn't resist!

I was wondering if you were going to come back. I think I inquired about you somewhere after I returned. We used to have pretty similar tastes.

I think this mostly sums it up for me--especially for a lot of the funeral doom-I had a much higher tolerance for this stuff in the late 2000's. All I really need is skepticism, unholy, disembowelment, dusk, mournful congregation, and esoteric and i'm completely set with the entire genre.
i'll just assume thergothon was an unintentional omission because dude

otherwise i pretty much fully agree. i will still listen to skepticism, unholy and thergothon (i don't know what it is about the finns but they sure knew what they were doing in the early to mid 90s) but the rest i'm not really feelin.

i don't care enough about esoteric, dusk or mournful congregation to put them on very often at all although they are all quality groups. i mentioned worship and i want to make it clear that i think "last tape before doomsday" is technically very good but i'm just not feeling those total monochromatic depression vibez anymore