Old Tune, New Mix with Vocals

TrueDesire

Jun 22, 2011
Sup guys,

I added vocals to an older mix and did a bit of fiddling with the eqs and stuff.

Critique as you please

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/epictunageness/new-ideaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah-re/s-dVBlP[/SOUNDCLOUD]

not sure how you have those screams processed but its no good. start over. for eq just high pass at 100hz, lo pass at 12k, boost at 3k for presence and boost at 8k for clarity if it needs it. for compression use several compressors but only slightly compress them each time. i usually add a touch of distortion too but literally only like 5-10% you don't want to sound like your screaming through a guitar amp. dont forget your gate, deesser, and reverb.

not sure how you have those screams processed but its no good. start over. for eq just high pass at 100hz, lo pass at 12k, boost at 3k for presence and boost at 8k for clarity if it needs it. for compression use several compressors but only slightly compress them each time. i usually add a touch of distortion too but literally only like 5-10% you don't want to sound like your screaming through a guitar amp. dont forget your gate, deesser, and reverb.

haha thanks for the tips man, It was just a quick one and i've never really done vocal mixing before, its a bit new to me :)

I've redone it like, i'll upload it when i can!

Its got 3 compressors, and a filter at the 100 hz hi pass and 12k lowpass and i used a preset for vocals on an eq and fiddled a wee bit with it. Not sure if its any better but it sounds it, sort of.

Man I can't hear the drums at all. The vocals and guitars are over powering them like crazy. The guitars are also a bit fatiguing.

Man I can't hear the drums at all. The vocals and guitars are over powering them like crazy. The guitars are also a bit fatiguing.

Thanks for the comment man, I'll look into it

I do have a newer version i'm sorting now like, and i really do have to agree with you on that, The drums are swallowed by the rest of the mix. You can faintly hear them though. I'll sort out that problem in the newer one.

Nee to ask though, What do you mean by 'Fatiguing'? I'm not saying you're incorrect, because you're probably alot more experienced than i (because i have like, none :tickled: ) but i don't understand what you mean.

Do you mean like, certain frequencies are not pushing through? I know that it is sort of overtaken by bass and mids, but i should sort that in the next one, hopefully.

Sorry to be a pain in the arse with the nooby questions.

Just there's some fizz and high frequencies that get fatiguing to listen to after a while. Kind of tires the ear and listen.

Sorry for the lateness of the newer versions, my internets been playing up and not letting me do anything!

Anyway, here they are!

Attempt 2:

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/epictunageness/new-ideaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah-re-2/s-4vdyq[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Attempt 3:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: