Old unknown hard rock song

Firehead

CrusaderOfTheDowntrodden
Jul 31, 2004
The darkest part of your soul.
Even though I think I have a decent knowledge of music from the 80's (whether I like it or not), every once in a while I find myself where I am scratching my head not knowing. I heard a song that I have never heard before, or of the band. It is from 1984 and the band is Q5, the song is 'Come And Gone' & the LP is 'Steel The Light'. I was surprised at not knowing of the band, not so much that but rather the song was quite good, in a Power-Ballad sort of way. If I had to make a vague comparison I would say they are a bit Scorpions-esque though not entirely sounding, more stylistically.

So since there is no info on them on Wikipedia, my question is where are these guys from and how is the rest of their stuff, if anyone is a fan on here.

You'll prolly find the info under Floyd Rose who was the guitarist and who invented the locking tremolo system. Q5 was in essence a re-hashed version of TKO. I guess Q5 was an outlet to showcase his inventions and compositions. They were from Seattle. But 'Steel The Light' and especially the title song was a huge hit so surprised you never head of them.

You'll prolly find the info under Floyd Rose who was the guitarist and who invented the locking tremolo system. Q5 was in essence a re-hashed version of TKO. I guess Q5 was an outlet to showcase his inventions and compositions. They were from Seattle. But 'Steel The Light' and especially the title song was a huge hit so surprised you never head of them.

Hmmmm..... I personally have never heard of them and I was a guitarist even back then. However, it may have been simply selective memory at the time..... choosing not to put it in my memory banks. I was never "too metal" to ignore "hair" stuff, as I am a fan of White Lion, but those type of bands that were being played repeatedly on MTV and radio at the time had to REALLY BRING IT for me to pay attention to them.

Hmmmm..... I personally have never heard of them and I was a guitarist even back then. However, it may have been simply selective memory at the time..... choosing not to put it in my memory banks. I was never "too metal" to ignore "hair" stuff, as I am a fan of White Lion, but those type of bands that were being played repeatedly on MTV and radio at the time had to REALLY BRING IT for me to pay attention to them.

If you like White Lion then I don't see this song straying too far away from that. It really is in a similar neighborhood. I haven't listened to anything else yet but 'Come And Gone' was really good. I actually thought it was a newer song (though by an older band) but still new.

If you like White Lion then I don't see this song straying too far away from that. It really is in a similar neighborhood. I haven't listened to anything else yet but 'Come And Gone' was really good. I actually thought it was a newer song (though by an older band) but still new.

White Lion is a bit of an unusual band in my ears. I caught interest in them simply because their guitarist was pretty much beyond incredible. I thought the singer was showy, and sounded like he was whining all of the time at first listen. Later, I realized Mike had a fantastic voice and was INCREDIBLY emotic in his vocals. After further listening, I can't really think of ANY metal or rock band that has a singer and guitarist that compliment each other better. The other musicians, James and Greg also weren't exactly breaking new barriers in music, but they did their part.
Look up "Hungry" on youtube (simply an example, nothing else.) Awesome song !! They were in a different league than most other "hair metal" bands that were out there. It wasn't just Vito being a GOD, but it was the songwriting. Now look up "Lady of the Valley." It is my favorite song by them. It is also one of my favorite songs of all time. If this band you are talking about can compete with this, I am all ears. Lady of the Valley is comparable to stuff ZEP has done. However, 13 yo girls couldn't digest it because Mike looked like he did and the band was marketed to that audience. Therefore, the band never made it past the "hair" movement.

I will give this band a shot. I will not shoot someone down simply because I don't think some particular band can't compare to another. I wasn't trying to talk down to you by ANY means. I was only trying to explain why I am a White Lion fan. They were simply on a different level, despite being "thrown into" the hair metal genre.

Bryant

I didn't take it as you talking down at all, so no worries!

I wasn't a big WL fan when I was younger, but I can listen to it a lot more as I've gotten older. Yeah Vito is a mighty guitarist, no doubt.

It's always cool to hear stuff that seems new when it really isn't, just new to you.