On another note: Karma

Definitely my favorite song of MAYH. I think I was always turned off a little by the intro, which I'm still not too crazy about. But from the moment Mikael sings "Ahhhhhhhhhhh" about a minute into it, the song completely changes into one of the best songs they've written.

"The bed is cold and empty."

Sickman said:
Definitely my favorite song of MAYH. I think I was always turned off a little by the intro, which I'm still not too crazy about. But from the moment Mikael sings "Ahhhhhhhhhhh" about a minute into it, the song completely changes into one of the best songs they've written.

"The bed is cold and empty."

The intro is excellent! The 2nd riff into the song is one of the best riffs on the album, and the last riff is amazing too. This is the underrated song on the album imo.

Sickman said:

Yeah when he goes AAAAHH, you know its gonna be good :)

I like April ethereal, as well! kickass song!

I was actually listening to the song as I saw your post! Amazing song, indeed. I, too, love the "ahhhh" a minute or so into the song, and the ending is fucking awesome. MAYH is such a masterpiece. Heh, this brings back memories of the thread I created awhile ago entitled "Awesome moments on MAYH" (or something like that). I should look for that...

I'm a big sucker for the 'Ahhhhh's so that part owns me. The song as a whole never really grabbed me though. There's a few good parts, including the acoustic interlude with 'you have nothing more to find - you have nothing more to lose' and when it goes heavy again with 'the cold season'. Actually most of the end is quite good. I just think that first riff puts me off the song a bit. Sounds like a strange attempt at funk-metal, haha.

I have to agree, this track is absolutley amazing. It's one of those ones that I never really gave a chance though. Up untill a while ago, I was that way with Wreath. Now its one of my faves.

As far as Karma goes, the soft bits are incredibly beautifull, and I also really like the riff just before "the bed is cold and empty." Another good one is the heavy riff that just comes off the mellow bits.

But the highlight of this song, and I can see you all agree is the outro. Shit man, that gets me goin.

I would love it if they were to play this one live, but I think by the end of it poor Martin's arms and legs would be so beat he wouldnt be able to leave the stage. A while back the topic of moshpits came up, and I think the outro for this one would have the whole place just going full out fuckin insane. Like Demon of the Fall times 30.

Forest-of-October said:
I would love it if they were to play this one live, but I think by the end of it poor Martin's arms and legs would be so beat he wouldnt be able to leave the stage.

LOL, yeah. I'd help carry his battered body off the stage hehe. :D

Karma is defenitely one of my favorite Opeth songs ever. Its bloody brutal and the heaviest track on MAYH. :headbang:

i alway said 'Karma' is brilliant. it is not only my fav son on MAYH but also my overal favourite Opeth song. it is flawless from beginning to the end and the part with 'i have gone away, my bed is cold and empty...' is simply monumental and epic as hell. it seems this song finally gets the appreciation it deserves

Hypnos said:
i alway said 'Karma' is brilliant. it is not only my fav son on MAYH but also my overal favourite Opeth song. it is flawless from beginning to the end and the part with 'i have gone away, my bed is cold and empty...' is simply monumental and epic as hell. it seems this song finally gets the appreciation it deserves

Actually, the people on these forums are wagon jumpers. Say one song is good, and for that day, it is the forum favorite. I'll make a thread about the song "The Leper Affinity" which was never a forum favorite. Watch the responses.

On a side note, Karma IS amazing, and is my fav. on MAYH.

blimey said:
Actually, the people on these forums are wagon jumpers. Say one song is good, and for that day, it is the forum favorite.
On a side note, Karma IS amazing, and is my fav. on MAYH.

My God, you're pathetic! If you'd actually read my post you'd have seen I
just said it was a rediscovered favourite. Sometimes when you get stuck with
some new and other old records/songs you forget the classics. Just wanted
share my thoughts and since it's one of Opeth's finest it really isn't that
strange people like it. Its different to say that, and to say "Why haven't this
or that song got the appreciation?"

Ofcuze people LOVE "The Leper's Affinity", as well. I mean the high vocal and
ending parts are incredible - to mention some - but that one is to
common I believe. I mean they still play it on concerts, not this recent ones but
"Lamentations" for example. When BWP came most people bought the album and
never spoke of Opeth again. Never cared to listen to the earlier works.

Recognise!

Forest-of-October said:
But the highlight of this song, and I can see you all agree is the outro. Shit man, that gets me goin.
I agree with you. That's why I just couldn't help myself posting this thread. I believe
it's a through and through awesome track. Perfect balance song and the outro is also
wonderful! They really let it rip! Some ppls here said it didn't - I believe it does!