Opeth's first 3 albums are their best.

My thoughts are quite strange, and they change alot, and i cant put the albums in any order. The only thing i know is that my least favourite must be Orchid, and that's what so strange.

First i bought BWP, and loved it! The clean parts of Bleak always hade me shiver and gave me goosebumps. It has perfect production and atmosphere, with maybe The Funeral Portrait as my leas favourite.

Then i bought Morningrise and Mayh at the same time, and had them with me when i traveled by car from seden down to germany, and listened to them ALOT, and they really growed on me to be music that meant much to me. The thing is it seems to me there is always one song on each album that just doesn't click with me like the rest of the material. Still supersongs, but jsut not clicking as much as the rest. on Morningrise, i never liked Nectar as much as the rest of the songs, yet i don't know why. On MAYH, i never got into Karma, don't know why either, as it is a great song.

Then i bought Orchid, and this album has yet to click with me, and i canät see why. Everytime i get the urge to tr to get into it, i put it in ht e cd player, and i just stop it after 2 songs. Must get to do this sometime, buty it just never happens.

Still Life... Just got this Resently, and havn't gotteninto it as of yet. Although the first songs are great, i swtill havn't heard White Cluster or Srenity Painted Death,all songs that ppl say are among their best.

Deliverence, a heavy masterpice that is strangly Underrated. I don't really like The Titletrack, but the rest of the songs kick ass, especially By The Pain I see In others... One thing i don't like here though is the fact that they put in some stupid "Hidden" thing at the end of the album, where it's just silent and then comes some ghostly voice.

havn't heard Damnation yet, but these are my takes on their albums.. My favourite band by far...

1. Morningrise - Absolute Perfection
2. MAYH - Best Complete Album
3. Blackwater Park - Dark, Hard, muddy
4. Still Life - slight bore
5. Deliverance - brutal, simple
6. Orchid - some cool riffs, lacks as a whole

* opinions based on comparisons between Opeth albums only (since if they were to compared to other bands, they would all blow anyone else out of the water)
** Metal albums only (no Damnation)

Episode 666 said:
One thing i don't like here though is the fact that they put in some stupid "Hidden" thing at the end of the album, where it's just silent and then comes some ghostly voice.
Why should that even matter? You can just close it after the actual song is done... :err:

John Gargo said:
Why should that even matter? You can just close it after the actual song is done...
err.gif

Well for example when i put it on my MP3 player without knowing it was there... took away about 3 good min of MP3 space :err:

Opeth as a whole gave me a picture of swedish nature... beauty,darkness and sadness..
That picture disappeared after MAYH...
The first three albums had some kind of charm.
Now when i listen to Still life,Bwp,Deliverance i get a feeling
they are just a death/progressive band that's throwing in some acoustic guitars...The albums after MAYH are still very good but nothing more then a shadow from the old Opeth for me.

hmm I don't rate or compare Opeth albums. Every Opeth album is a masterpiece. Maybe Orchid is a little bit below the others, because of dry production and ugly bassfills.

yea, comparing opeth albums doesn't really work, every album is different in their own way and each represents OPETH at different periods of their career........

That's exactly why comparing them works... there is no point in doing comparisons on things that are most similar in every way, is there?

The reason you compare Orchid to BWP is to say... Orchid had dual guitar harmonies, lots of energy, yet the music was based on rather simple scales and it was all rather chaotic. BWP has alot more effort put into strange chords and riffs, yet has more repetition of the same theme and less dual guitar leads... etc. etc.

yea, i think blackwater park is their strongest album overall when you consider production, atmosphere, vocals, bass etc.

imo, this album is when the stopped being classified as death/doom and started being classified as progressive rock/metal

I don't see why Orchid would be Death/Doom and BWP Prog Rock/metal... IMO They just got hevier all along with time.

Morningrise (Least Heavy)
Still Life (Has some really heavy moments)
Orchid
Mayh
BWP
Deliverence

Still, i like Opeth's Heavy moments equally to their soft moments...

Someone please explain to me.... WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE ORCHID SOLOS? I think they are awesome.... just listen to Forest of October or The Twilight is My Robe.... i think those are some of their best! I was never under the impression that Orchid had horrible solos until now.... I'm quite shocked.

for me the order goes something like

1. Morningrise
2. My Arms Your Hearse
3. Orchid
4. Deliverance
5. Still Life
6. Blackwater Park

I'm having trouble deciding on where to place Damnation as its so goddamn different. For now I'd say above "Deliverance" but i'm not sure how long it will last there.

I enjoy equaly all of them (the albuns)...
I would like to mention that, for the first time Opeth released two songs that I really can't get into: Weakness (the whole thing) and Deliverance (I still can't stand 5 minutes with the same riff at the end...it's so useless and made on purpose that the band itself don't play it all live)

SunlapseVertigo said:
Someone please explain to me.... WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE ORCHID SOLOS? I think they are awesome.... just listen to Forest of October or The Twilight is My Robe.... i think those are some of their best! I was never under the impression that Orchid had horrible solos until now.... I'm quite shocked.
Are you a guitarist?

Opeth as a whole gave me a picture of swedish nature... beauty,darkness and sadness..
That picture disappeared after MAYH...
The first three albums had some kind of charm.
Now when i listen to Still life,Bwp,Deliverance i get a feeling
they are just a death/progressive band that's throwing in some acoustic guitars...The albums after MAYH are still very good but nothing more then a shadow from the old Opeth for me.

I agree with this.

BWP just seemed so.. bleh. I can't really explain, I know it's a good album, but it doesn't have in it what I like about Opeth.

Deliverance I don't even like

Damnation isn't that good either /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif

you have to sit down and really listen to the music , its like a good meal , u have to taste and enjoy in a good atmosphere. i really like bwp and deliverance but it takes more time to "know" the albums.

I am a vocalist and play bass.
singing is the part i like best , claen vocals.