Morningrise - Opeth's hardest to get into?

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
I'm a big fan - have every album. Love MAYH, Still Life, Ghost, Deliverance, Blackwater.....you name it.

But I must admit - I have a hard time getting into Morningrise. Does anyone else experience this? I don't know why either.

I'm sure it's just a matter of repeat plays and it will come, but just interested to know if others have found this?

Two tracks from Morningrise was the first thing I heard from Opeth and I was immediately hooked by it, absolutely loved it. I have never found any of their albums hard to get into. It make take me a couple of listens to fully assimilate all the details in them but not to get into them.

Never said I didn't like it. I find that most of Opeth's stuff takes time to grow on me. Just finding MR very slow to do so.

Yeah, been a fan since the D/D era and bought the whole back catalogue, but really struggle with Morningrise and Orchid. It's heavy and eeevil and all that stuff but it doesn't have anything that grabs me firmly by the nuts and says "listen to me again!!"

Opeth attracts both veteran extreme metallers and those who normally don't listen to metal much at all. Non-metallers will struggle the most with anything pre-SL and death metal purists (and I used to be one of these) will probably struggle for a while to broaden their horizons enough to appreciate anything post-MAYH. Overall, though, I personally find Morningrise to be their weakest album, even though it rapes furiously.

It's a good album, but probably my least favorite by them. Yes, it is hard to get into, mainly because up until you get to know he songs and all the nuances, it seems to drag on and on forever.

^ I agree that it is perhaps their weakest along with Orchid. I think that is actually a good thing, since it shows that the band has become better overtime. Personally I find that the band continues to improve with each new release and every new album sounds better than the previous one.

The problem that I have with Opeth's first two albums is that the songs don't flow into each other very well. By themselves, the songs are quite good - I actually really like Nectar. But, compared to many of their subsequent albums, Morningrise and Orchid are too disjointed.

Mind you, I'm not saying an album has to have a theme to be good (but it certainly helps, imo). Rather, the songs should "make sense" in their order and placement to one another. The three big albums - MAYH, SL & BP are great examples of this. GR is less so, and I think that had something to do with many people on this board warming to it more slowly.

I'm a big fan - have every album. Love MAYH, Still Life, Ghost, Deliverance, Blackwater.....you name it.

But I must admit - I have a hard time getting into Morningrise. Does anyone else experience this? I don't know why either.

I'm sure it's just a matter of repeat plays and it will come, but just interested to know if others have found this?

Advent + Headphones

Problem solved (the rest will follow)

I agree in that Morningrise is a bit harder to "get into". Soundwise its similar to Orchid tbh.
I think Morningrise has some of the greatest parts in the whole Opeth catalog, but still as an album maybe the weakest. Advent and To Bid You Farewell is in my top 5 list, at least right now. But I never liked Nectar that much.
BRI slays everything pretty much.
LOL, now I'm getting really confused. oh well.

Kinda my first post here in my favourite band's section..

Well i do understand that it is kinda hard to get into, but when i did it was frickin' awesome and it is now my favourite album. I'm actually a bit surprised "so many" think it is their weakest album, in my head deliverance is by far their weakest album, or have i missed something huge here?

morningrise was the first opeth album i listened too, and i liked it a lot :D

nectar pwns!