I Can't Explain Why I Can't Get Into Still Life

JesusChristPose

Logic Dictates
Oct 20, 2001
Pittsburgh, Pa
MAYH ~ I believe to be Opeth's masterpiece.

Morningrise/BlackWater Park ~ Just a notch below MAYH.

Orchid ~ A strong debut, just one notch below Morningrise/BWP.

and then Still Life...

Both The Moor and Godshead Lament are excellent tracks. The Face of Melinda is good, but after that, the rest of tracks do nothing for me.

I have listened to it over and over, just waiting for the moment where one of those tracks would "hook me" ~ but it never happens. I can't explain it.

I have been listening to it for over 6 months and have read the lyrics at times while listening to it...

The remainder of the songs just don't "hook me" ~ Example, take the song Karma, at the 1:00 minute mark where Mike's voice changes with the "Aaaaaaahhhhaaaah" then, the riff comes in...then "I have gone away....the bed is cold and empty..." That sends chills down my spine...I am hooked.

Besides The Moor Godshead Lament, Face of Melinda....what parts of any of the remaing songs "hook" any of you?

As a matter of fact, I believe it is in the song, Serenity Painted Death where Mike uses, for the first and last time I believe, that annoying "boing, boing" sound of the guitar...I can't find any part of that song to get into...the chorus is okay, but it just doesn't "pull me in" like so many other songs from all their other cds.

JCP I don't know how to help you man..

I mean Still Life is Opeth's masterpiece. I know you are a fan of progressive music and that's what makes it odd because I find Still Life to be their most progressive disc. I don't know if you don't like it just don't listen to it for a year and then pop it in one day and see how you feel about it.

I personally find every song to be quite amazing.

Brandon

Brandon,

What parts of the songs on that cd (besides the 3 I mentioned) "catch you" ? Read my previous reply if you are unsure of what I mean.

I could go on and on about every song from MAYH...the parts of songs that really "hook me" emotionally ~ like how I described Karma...

I don't like the album as much as most do here, so I can sort of relate to what your saying. The differences? I like White Cluster from the album a lot. I favor the album's story. I like the lyrics. "Voices fall like marbles." It's a different story and IMO better than most things I hear. Mikael's vocal style has... progressed.

Are you bored with the albums riffs? Do you not like the story? What do you mean by "boing boing" sound in SPD? (at 4:30ish?) I like that actually. I like how each album offers a new type of musical experiment.

Opet,

"Are you bored with the albums riffs?"

~ the riffs don't "stick out" to me, except for the 3 songs I mentioned...they just aren't "catchy" ... what makes them catchy to you and which ones?

"Do you not like the story?"

~ I have no problem with the lyrics. They are not my favorite, but still that is not it.

"What do you mean by "boing boing" sound in SPD? (at 4:30ish?) I like that actually."

~ Yes, the part of that song makes me yawn...it doesn't do anything for me and that "boing" sound irritates the hell out of me everytime I hear it. I don't believe they used that sound before and certainly didn't use it on BWP.

Maybe someday...I will listen to this cd and go DAMN...NOW I get it...but I have listened to it so many times already....I just gave it anther try the other day in which promped me to start this thread.

you need to be helped. :)

the most catchy song is probably moonlapse vertigo.
a mighty beginning, then the first phrase "Kept warm by the light of the lantern" going right into one of their best riff (imo) while singing "Their scorn behind your back".

also serenity painted death is one of my faves. after the first break there´s the riff that rocks the universe when he sings
"Ripped from my embrace
Melinda reflected in shafts
Red line round her neck
Met the earth in silence" followed by another huge break and a cool ass riff (also one of their best :)).

oooh man, i love every single note of this cd.

I believe Serenity Painted Death is the only Opeth song in which a chorus is introduced and repeated...a very "Un-Opeth" type song.

As for Moonlaspse/SPD...I will listen to them yet again and at the points of which you described, Lugnasadh.

JesusChristPose-
~ the riffs don't "stick out" to me, except for the 3 songs I mentioned...they just aren't "catchy" ... what makes them catchy to you and which ones? Well, I'd have to listen to the entire album to answer that and even then, I might not have too much to say.

I adore the clean vocals. Every interlude with them puts me into an Opeth Trance for the moment :lol: but I don't have major favorite parts like you asking as I do for the other albums.

White Cluster? I like the riffs at 0:23 and 1:47 especially. The quiet part at 5:00 that builds suspense and crashes down into the next, but never as "hard" as say... songs on MAYH. Then the frenzy at 6:24 - 7:08 is cool. I love how he threw that little bit of acoustic at the end there. "Beckoning right behind me."

Moonlapse Vertigo? The opening riffs make me hhhhhhappy. :cool: The 10 second "ahhhhhh!" at 2:35. The strange effect at 4:42 with the guitar. I can't think of anything on the album that "irritates" me.

Benighted? It's acoustics are fkn beautiful IMO. As far as the rest, well refer to the note of "Opeth Trance" above. The thought of surrendering into the night to be with her long lost love. ::girlish sigh:: :rolleyes: :lol:

Maybe someday...I will listen to this cd and go DAMN...NOW I get it...but I have listened to it so many times already....I just gave it anther try the other day in which prompted me to start this thread.

Try this. Don't listen to it for a month. Hell, make it two. Put it back in and give it a go again. If it's still as unappealing to you then as it is now, then hey, some things weren't meant to be. Took me 3 years to BEGIN to appreciate Morningrise.

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
I have been listening to it for over 6 months and have read the lyrics at times while listening to it...

The remainder of the songs just don't "hook me" ~ Example, take the song Karma, at the 1:00 minute mark where Mike's voice changes with the "Aaaaaaahhhhaaaah" then, the riff comes in...then "I have gone away....the bed is cold and empty..." That sends chills down my spine...I am hooked.

Besides The Moor Godshead Lament, Face of Melinda....what parts of any of the remaing songs "hook" any of you?

Well, the ending of Moonlapse Vertigo is outstanding, after a year that part still sends chills down my spine, and aslo the clean solo. Serenity painted Death, it took a while for me to "get" that track but now it´s one of my favourite Opeth songs, the dynamics are so extream, example: the acoustic part @(can´t remember the timing) is followed by this immensely brutal part (Darkness reared it´s head...) and the Came with the moon... part is just divine!

Originally posted by JesusChristPose

That part in Karma is just wonderful...

Opet,

I will take your advice, but not until I listen to WC and MV again with your "catchy" areas in mind...sometimes that can help - when knowing what "hooks" another fellow (or in your case fellowETTE) Opeth enthuasist. Thanks for your info and opinions :)

I have this feeling with MAYH, definitely not Opeth's masterpiece if you ask me (Morningrise that is, as most Opeth fans wil agree), but a moment of un-inspiration, pretty much the whole album just flows by and nothing happens, except the very last melody in the very last track "Epilogue" has something exiting about it.

Still Life didn't give me the great album I hoped for after the (for me) disappointing MAYH, but it was a pretty good album. BWP is another step in the right direction, but I'm pretty sure nothing will ever top Morningrise (for me), it simply has the best melodies.

Well MadTinus, I guess it just goes to show that each listener hears music differently...In my case, I just cannot understand why I can't really get into Still Life, that it is so far separated from the rest of their cds according to my ears and brain.

It baffles me...