still hate still life

Nov 13, 2001
Visit site
Can anyone explain me what is so great about Sitll Life cause I fell that I'm missing something.

I love Orchid
I love Morningrise
I love MAYH
I love Blackwater Park

I hate Still Life!!!

There are 2-3 good songs but overally this album is simply boring and shallow. And the worst of it all:
it is RED!!!

In every Opeth album I can find deep emotions and beatifull landscapes.
But I can't find anything in Still Life. It's actually making me physically ill.

I am serious! Explain me what you feel when you listen to this album! ARGH!

you need to listen to it more, that goes for all the opeth albums. how many times have you listened to still life? i find it hard to believe that you like BWP and not Still Life, hmn. :err:

anyway welcome to the board.

...Still Life is my second favourite Opeth album after BWP (ima late Opeth convert) and what I find so great about that album is the pure emotion embedded within, as well as the beautiful lyrics. Also, their guitar riffs and music are so beautifully arranged I simply cannot find fault with it and its themes of lost love (or something), which I guess is a direct contrast to your feelings on the album...

...but I cant see how you could possibly hate that album!:OMG:

I bought MAYH first...listened to it, liked it, but it wasn't anything great to me, BUT I liked it more than most stuff out there, so I bought BWP...listened to it, liked it...listened to it even more than MAYH...ended up loving it, one of my favorite all time cds...

so after many recommendations, esp by Jo, to buy SL, I did...listened to it allot, liked it...however, while listening to that, I had an urge to listen to MAYH again, so I put that cd in...listened to it over and over, now MAYH is my favorite...

My point is this...Opeth's music must be given many many many listenings...not just once in one period, but over many periods of time...and although SL is my least favorite at this moment, so was MAYH...I would bet that SL will at one point become my favorite too...well at least until I purchase one of the other 2 that I still don't have...hee hee.

Maybe everyone will direct their hate campaing at me too but regardless off that i have to say i had a little time to get into Still Life when i first gave it a go. The first song i heart was benighted and well it was the first in many aspects, ive always been fan of male clean voice as long as it is in the low part of the rang of a tenor or even in the high range of a tenor and benighted had such a high pitch for me ( compared to lets say Mikael Stanne on day to end ) creedence was still just a little higher but benighted was like nothing i ever liked before...but the guitar work on the song kept me interested then i runned into the lyrics of face of melinda that deeply touched me ( see the ever cry to opeth thread ) and from there it was history i was converted. To like an album it just has to be good music, to be drowned in its beauty it has to be one of a kind in one or every aspect, it has to stand aside from the rest. Without a fear of exageration i can say Opeth stands aside from everyone in every song in every album....

So give it a chance and try to identify with something about Still Life i guarantee it would not be a long journey

Hate is a word never to be used in the same sentence as the word "Opeth". (yes I just put them in the same sentence there, but you know what I mean).

Still Life is a great album, listen to it three-four times a day, memorize the lyrics, it's a great story, and the lyrics really paint a vivid picture in your mind, the music enhances the emotion of what's happening, and it has some beautiful mellow songs, what's to hate?

i have to say its not my favourite opeth album, but it is still opeth and it still rocks. to say you hate it is just going a bit far

:OMG: As she climbs back on the chair! heh You should see the look on my face! :) Reading your words shook my skeleton, also resulting in much stuttering with everything I wanted to get out then! (slight pause to sing as The Moor commences) I must have automatically put it on when I read your harsh words. The vocals alone are enough to keep the hair on my goose bumps on end! And the music! Someone shower Opeth in riches already.
I am eager to hear the 2-3 songs you DO like?
If you don't already, it would calm me some if you gave this a shot? Grab headphones, find a place you will not be disturbed, turn it up loud, press play and close your eyes.
When I listen to Still Life I feel...gargantuan, raw, exposed, aerial, power, stillness, calm, sorrow, void, high, overwhelmed, in awe, roused, withdrawn, lost, love and then the second song starts. *hugs*

Originally posted by extensive desolation
I hate Still Life!!!

and I hate you. ;)

As I have said before, it's your monkey fuck it any way you want. I am quite shocked though, that you would go as far as the word hate. Oh well, your loss.

it took me a while to get into it too! but i think what i hated about it most soon became what i now love about it... give it a few more listens , it WILL come to you!

I find this rather bewildering. I'd almost have to say it was a hoax...

I mean, that just does not make sense, but I guess Still Life does have a slightly different "feel" to it than the other albums...

Personally, I think it's beautiful, but...

...to each his own.

as mentioned before, each album requires mulitple listens. BWP looks like it's becoming the new favourite, but there is this one part on Bleak, with the chorused guitar solo just before he sings "help me, help you" and the last not of that beautifully toned guitar is cut short, it should have just been left sustaining to breathe. I love the album, but just that one part, it's consuming me, don't end so soon, little note. go on. ahhhhHHHHhhh *maybe I should post this on the crying to Opeth thread.

The more and more you listen to it won't help if your mindset is you hate it. If you keep telling yourself you hate it, then you'll hate it. Right?

Or then again :err: there have been a few cases where the music is rejected 100% by the listener and something gets inside there brain sort of like in Body Snatchers when you're not paying attention and manipulates your brain. The telltale sign that you have been infected is you get a Mikael Moustache™. You end up devoting your ENTIRE life supporting and promoting the band.

You better be careful, dude.

"Outcast with dogmas forged below."