I Can't Explain Why I Can't Get Into Still Life

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
Well MadTinus, I guess it just goes to show that each listener hears music differently...In my case, I just cannot understand why I can't really get into Still Life, that it is so far separated from the rest of their cds according to my ears and brain.

It baffles me...
Again, I feel exactly the same about MAYH, it just doesn't grasp me and I cannot understand what's so great about it when there's so much "proof" for me that it's not good and un-inspired.

People, it's all a matter of taste...there's nothing we can do to help this guy...
Many people here consider Morningrise their best....others say it's Still Life...MAYH...BWP....Orchid......so, there's no way.
I like all their albuns...and don't have a favorite one...there's some stuff that I like best in an album, but I like another stuff in another album and at the end all of them fit complete to me. Each one of them has it's own qualities (this is the plural of "quality"?), so, it's kind of waste of time to discuss which one is best or worse. It depends of our taste.

Jesus,

Still Life is my least fav album too- not that I don't "get it" or that it never "clicked" with me, It has indeed. But now it's like the album feels like a cold fish. I don't emotionally connect with it, and the "music" becomes more like sound.

I think it's mainly because of the format of the songs. There's something linear about the way they are "ordered" or structured. It's predictable or something.

From afar, however, I definitely appreciate it for what it's worth. Mike succeeds in creating a little microcosm with the music, and it's really nice phenonemom of music and story telling.

MAYH, btw, is my fav too. :) But strangely I never got that 'hook' that you describe is in Karma. I'll have to examine the song shortly.

MAYH took me the longest to get into either.
first cd was still life and when i listened to MAYH i had a hard time getting it. that one definately took me the longest.

MAYH was my first Opeth cd too and is my favorite...I wonder how many "first cds by Opeth" are the purchasers favorites?

Interesting...

However, it took me a long time to understand and "get" MAYH. In fact, I purchased BWP and Still Life (in that order) after MAYH and listened to them many more times, really enjoying BWP, before I could "get" MAYH...

Maybe with Still Life, it is only a matter of time...

BTW....I appreciate all the comments and advice. :)

"I wonder how many "first cds by Opeth" are the purchasers favorites?"

POLL! POLL! POLL! (starts banging table w/fist) :D I'd start it, but I'm sure SOMEONE'S going to be all "Oooh, this hasn't been done yet!"
eviltongue.gif
and if I hear that, I'll... why I'll... You don't want to know what I'll do!

:loco:

Originally posted by JesusChristPose
MAYH was my first Opeth cd too and is my favorite...I wonder how many "first cds by Opeth" are the purchasers favorites?

Interesting...
Indeed, I made this point on another thread and possibly on another board (In Flames I think), and I think it's true in a lot of cases but not always of course, my first Opeth CD was Orchid (I got to know them -the music- right from the start), but Morningrise is my favourite though, but for example with Dissection I got to know The Somberlain first and it's still my favourite.

It can indeed take a very long time before getting into an album, it took me one or two years to learn to appreciate Paradise Lost's Gothic album for example, probably because it was a long way ahead of its time.

:)

It's all good. Again, the comments and opinions rendered are much appreciated...I am in agony over not "getting" Still Life, and this is good therapy for me :)

One of the passages on SL that "hooks" me the most is the riff at 6:11 in The Moor (that occurs again later at 10:20) - particularly effective after the preceding acoustic version of it.
The first heavy riff in Face Of Melinda is highly addicitve as well; so is the already mentioned riff at 1:38 in Serenity Painted Death and the intro riff to that song.
There are plenty of great riffs on SL, as well as truly beautiful clean-vox-hooklines.

I think what keeps you from getting into it is something about the atmosphere of this album. It's hard to explain but I'm affected too. I happen to put other Opeth albums on more often than SL...

I agree with you JCP, Still Life is my least favorite Opeth cd (I do listen to occasionaly, Serenity Painted Death is one of my faves from the cd, the Moor is my least favorite). Also MAYH is my favorite Opeth cd, and yes MAYH was my first Opeth cd. I like MAYH and then Orchid the best, maybe because those are the two heaviest Opeth cds.

SPD was one of my first "new" Opeth songs. Just listen to all the sad and the warm melodies throughout it. And that riff at 1:30.. but I guess the chorus is kind of dissonant and has that death metal wail (is that the "boing" you mean?).

Still Life also has a classical sound to the riffing, way more than any others in my opinion. Not the cheesey neoclassical sound, the madman dissonant symphony sound. Mainly in the rhythms and chords on some parts. You can hear it a lot in GL, MV, SPD, and WC.

i actually agree about still life--
ive managed to get into it, but aside from BWP I find it the weakest (yet "still" enjoyable, pardon the pun hehe).

there are great moments in most every song, but they are buffered by too much filler material, namely chugging chord riffs with an airy, delayed guitar line in the background. I often find myself waiting impatiently to get to certain parts in each song.

I suppose its just opeth's latter-day sound-- it worked for me in MAYH, but its just a little too slick and traditionally metal for me on still life.

I am right with you man, I think Still Life is Opeth's least good. The Moor is, IMO, one of the band's weakest tracks. If they had just capped it off at around 7 min, it would have been great. In general though, I don't think the songs really build to anything the way the ones on BWP, Orchid and My Arms, YH do.

Well I guess I missed the rest of this thread.. anyway I think most people mentioned most of the reasons JCP.

Anyway I will add that I bought BWP first and then MAYH before I was a huge fan.. then I bought Still Life and I got hooked on Opeth and have never looked back.

Brandon

Again, thanks for the replies and for those of you who love Still Life, thanks for not bashing the shit out of me. :)

Hopefully, in the near future, I will come on here with a new thread stating just how much I love Still Life.

Cool people, cool replies...thanks.