Just got Morningrise

LuminousAether said:
I was wondering how someone could be so stupid as to even insinuate that Blackwater Park or Deliverance could hold a candle to Morningrise, then you said you liked Maiden, AC/DC, and Metallica... after that it all made sense. You have no taste. The best part of Morningrise by far is the bass, and when Opeth lost that bass player they started to suck. It's not like black metal either. Maybe more like black metal than later Opeth, but that's not saying much. It's very much progressive death.

Right. Suck my dick then.

ham said:
AC/DC are boring, same template for every song, only saved by the massive rock guitar sound. its still just a few overdriven chords. they had their moments though.

i don't get into formulaic rock that well...
btw, don't use a phrase like 'lets face it'.

morningrise is good

What's wrong with "let's face it"?

I'm afraid that there are really different characteristics that define albums like Morningrise, MAYH and Orchid then the ones that define the albums there after.

Unlike other albums, Morningrise, Orchid and MAYH have so much more of this emotion to them, and I dont mean just straight out anger and rage and power etc. I'm talking of this totally beautiful sadness with a touch of evil lurking around each corner.

Of these, also, Morningrise is King. Words fail to explain what this album has that makes it the best god damn musical creation I have so far encountered. The thing to remember, though, is to give this album time. If you're the impatient type who likes AC/DC and (gasp!) Anthrax, I'm afraid you might never learn what Morningrise is. Either that or you will convert, and see how simple and stupid, but maybe still a bit fun, riff-oriented "heavy metal" music can be. Then, you will see what true music is about.

sf.

Morningrise is absolutely beautiful. The Night and the Silent Water, Black Rose Immortal and To Bid You Farewell are three of the most beautiful songs ever written. Advent is excellent also, especially live, and Nectar also has its moments. I understand that many people get annoyed by the bass-lines - 'cause hey, even Mikael doesn't like them.

Anyone who says that Morningrise is '10 times better than <insert other Opeth album>' certainly hasn't grasped the 'inserted' album properly yet. The fact is, every Opeth album is superb, and to think that any album could be ten times better is just wrong. I do however, rate Morningrise among the top 3 or 4 Opeth albums. It lacks heaviness and production, perhaps. But it certainly doesn't lack emotion, atmosphere or beauty. The middle section (8-17ish)of Black Rose Immortal is quite possibly my favourite section of music ever written (and the rest is amazing too). To Bid You Farewell is a wonderful ballad. Advent is absolutely stunning, with some brilliant melodies. The Night and the Silent Water is hugely atmospheric and emotive. And Nectar is very good in places, but a couple of crappy riffs let it down.

Morningrise takes a lot of listens for you to get the most out of it, methinks. Keep trying. :)

I got into Morningrise after my first listen. That first heavy riff on Advent still reminds me of In Flames though. It took me about four times through MAYH before I started loving it. I still am not a big fan of SL. Morningrise is probably #2 in my book, behind BWP.

LuminousAether said:
I was wondering how someone could be so stupid as to even insinuate that Blackwater Park or Deliverance could hold a candle to Morningrise, then you said you liked Maiden, AC/DC, and Metallica... after that it all made sense. You have no taste. The best part of Morningrise by far is the bass, and when Opeth lost that bass player they started to suck. It's not like black metal either. Maybe more like black metal than later Opeth, but that's not saying much. It's very much progressive death.

i went back to check this guy's post after the other comment... I agree, LuminousAeuther is an idiot.

Now I'll tell you why.
First of all you just named three of the most influencial metal bands in history and said they suck, with no explanation given. For this, you're an idiot.

Second, I love the bass on morningrise just as much as the next guy, and although I agree that it is integral to Morningrise's style, I do not agree that "since Opeth lost that bass player they started to suck". Opeth didnt loose the bass player, they kicked him out. Also, the bass player was a money loving prick, who couldn't even play well. And to add to that most of the bass lines were written by Michael.

Thirdly, if you got something against any of the Martins I'll gladly defend their musicianship and commitment to Opeth.

Fourthly, what ever did you mean by saying "It's not like black metal either. Maybe more like black metal than later Opeth, but that's not saying much." You make no sense, and you probably repeated this from someone else, what again, makes you an idiot.

I hope you are ready to defend your own stupid statements with something that actually makes sense.

Once again, I love Morningrise, and I dont agree with the originator of this thread for giving it a bad review based on all of 0.67 of a listen., I just don't like stupid bashing, as opposed to intelligent bashing.

flame on!

sf. :D

Sfarog said:
i went back to check this guy's post after the other comment... I agree, LuminousAeuther is an idiot.
Thanks, you start off your supposedly big argument with an insult. Good form. :rolleyes:
Sfarog said:
Now I'll tell you why.
First of all you just named three of the most influencial metal bands in history and said they suck, with no explanation given. For this, you're an idiot.
Firstly, AC/DC aren't metal. They are hard rock. Maiden suck, and I have said why many times. For those who are dense, here's my reason: they are cock rock, and I find it hard to even call them metal. They are anti-heavy, very simplistic and repetitive, and Bruce Dickinson is one of the most irritating, melodramatic, and inane vocalists in metal history. Their music is almost laughably dull. For Metallica, they have one of the worst drummers in metal history and their vocalist is completely anti-talented. They have had fairly good (but not very good) guitars and good bass players throughout their history, but they haven't had any even remotely good releases in over 15 years and their first releases were plagued by dull song writing, stupid solos, horrid drums and vocals, and they were never really interesting to begin with.
Sfarog said:
Second, I love the bass on morningrise just as much as the next guy, and although I agree that it is integral to Morningrise's style, I do not agree that "since Opeth lost that bass player they started to suck". Opeth didnt loose the bass player, they kicked him out. Also, the bass player was a money loving prick, who couldn't even play well. And to add to that most of the bass lines were written by Michael.
Their bass player back then couldn't play well... hahahaha. That's the funniest thing I have ever heard. He fucking utterly slays their current bassist, and he's probably one of the best bassists I have heard in metal. Yeah, he played a more jazzy style of bass, but it perfectly fit the music and it actually made it a lot more unique. I said it before and I'll say it again, their first bass player was without a doubt the best part of early Opeth. I'm not saying that the reason why Opeth started to suck after they lost him is because of him, I think it's because they started to follow a more formulaic style and because they didn't take as long to write the music amongst other things.
Sfarog said:
Thirdly, if you got something against any of the Martins I'll gladly defend their musicianship and commitment to Opeth.
They may be good musicians, but I like the early ones more, it's as simple as that.
Sfarog said:
Fourthly, what ever did you mean by saying "It's not like black metal either. Maybe more like black metal than later Opeth, but that's not saying much." You make no sense, and you probably repeated this from someone else, what again, makes you an idiot.
Hmm... make that "which again" you... IDIOT. :p
Also, it makes perfect sense. Newer Opeth has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with black metal... at all. Older Opeth has a slight touch of black metal, I guess, but not enough to make a big comment on. Opeth have always been progressive death metal and have never been black metal or even related to black metal. I wouldn't compare any period of Opeth to Emperor or Mayhem, but I would compare them to bands such as Porcupine Tree for newer Opeth or Edge of Sanity for all Opeth.
Sfarog said:
I hope you are ready to defend your own stupid statements with something that actually makes sense.
I hope you learn how to actually argue before you try to insult me.
Sfarog said:
Once again, I love Morningrise, and I dont agree with the originator of this thread for giving it a bad review based on all of 0.67 of a listen., I just don't like stupid bashing, as opposed to intelligent bashing.

flame on!

Well, you are very guilty of "stupid bashing."

Sfarog said:

flame on!

No no! I didn't give it a bad review - I didn't review it at all! My post was just my first impressions after listening to the album for the first time - I wouldn't pass judgement after one listen, especially not with a band as complex as Opeth! I LOVE what Opeth are doing, I think they're the most talented band around right now - so I'll give Morningrise plenty of time and I'm sure it'll click eventually just like MAYH is starting to do now.

Cheers! :loco:

LuminousAether said:
Maiden suck, and I have said why many times. For those who are dense, here's my reason: they are cock rock, and I find it hard to even call them metal. They are anti-heavy, very simplistic and repetitive, and Bruce Dickinson is one of the most irritating, melodramatic, and inane vocalists in metal history. Their music is almost laughably dull. For Metallica, they have one of the worst drummers in metal history and their vocalist is completely anti-talented. their first releases were plagued by dull song writing, stupid solos, horrid drums and vocals, and they were never really interesting to begin with.
"

Cock rock???Isn't that Motley Crue and Warrant?? You must be the ONLY person in the fucking world who finds it hard to call Maiden metal - look up Heavy Metal in the dictionary and there's the cover of Piece of Mind.
As for Ride The Lightning being dull with "stupid" solos - I think you just proved how worthless your opinion really is.
You seem to think if an album isn't really complex it's shit. Well if that's the case why is "Imagine" such a great song? You seem to be here just to tell everyone how Opeth "used to be good" as though you have superior musical knowledge than anyone else.
Hey dick - it's all about opinions, and apparently you're in a minority. I bet most Opeth fans appreciate Maiden and early Metallica.
You are a strange little man.

In the beginning (1980) I guess Iron Maiden was pretty heavy, and with the skulls and all they became a metalband. Now, it's just as heavy as before, but is sounds more like rock now, beacuse now there are so much heavier music around. I don't know anything of this. I guess, and I really don't know any differences between hard/heavy rock and metal.

Actually, I would definitely compare Maiden to Winger, Motley Crue, and that ilk.

Imagine? Care to elaborate? There are probably 200 different bands with a song named Imagine, how the hell should I know which one you are talking about?

And I never said music should be complex to be good, but I definitely think it should be interesting.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
Cheers mate! Must be the only site around with no thumb-up emoticon!
:tickled:

BTW My copy of Morningrise has a bonus track "Eternal Soul Torture" which is like a demo of a young death metal band (which it is I gather) - is this song on all copies of the album or is it a new thing? Good song, horrible sound quality though!

I could do this...
icon14.gif

LuminousAether said:
Thanks, you start off your supposedly big argument with an insult.

Followed closely by actual arguments, oh no!

LuminousAether said:
Firstly, AC/DC aren't metal.

You call it thrash i call it metal, same fuckin shit. They sound metal to me. And if you really believe they weren't metal why did you use their name in your argument in the first place?

LuminousAether said:
Maiden suck,

Your opinion which does not change the fact that they are one of the most influential metal bands ever.

LuminousAether said:
cock rock

Oh no, you did not just say a bad word??

LuminousAether said:
For Metallica, they have one of the worst drummers in metal history and their vocalist is completely anti-talented.

I'd like to hear that statement by anyone in 1986.

LuminousAether said:
They have had fairly good (but not very good) guitars and good bass players throughout their history,

same as above

LuminousAether said:
Their bass player back then couldn't play well... hahahaha. That's the funniest thing I have ever heard. He fucking utterly slays their current bassist, and he's probably one of the best bassists I have heard in metal. Yeah, he played a more jazzy style of bass, but it perfectly fit the music and it actually made it a lot more unique. I said it before and I'll say it again, their first bass player was without a doubt the best part of early Opeth.

I hear so many mistakes in the bass parts as far as technical, skilled playing is concerned, i stand by my opinion that he couldn't play. Besides, as you might have notice had you actually read my original post, most of the bass lines was written by Mikael, not Defarfalla.

LuminousAether said:
Also, it makes perfect sense. Newer Opeth has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with black metal... at all. Older Opeth has a slight touch of black metal, I guess, but not enough to make a big comment on. Opeth have always been progressive death metal and have never been black metal or even related to black metal.

it would make sense had you not added the last 2 sentences. You simply contradict yourself, you silly idiot.

LuminousAether said:
I wouldn't compare any period of Opeth to Emperor or Mayhem,

oh no, god forbid, that would be blasphemous!!

LuminousAether said:
but I would compare them to bands such as Porcupine Tree for newer Opeth or Edge of Sanity for all Opeth.

thats only because you have heard opeth for the first time around 2000 or 2001, and because you dont know jack shit. I'm sure naming some "hot topic bands" of today like PT or Edge... will make you feel your argument was much stronger. wrong again, idiot

LuminousAether said:
I hope you learn how to actually argue before you try to insult me."

so defensive, are we?

LuminousAether said:
Well, you are very guilty of "stupid bashing."

it wasn't initially intended to come out that way, but thanks, you've proven to me that in your case uttering some stupid bashing can actually do no harm to my reputation.:D

sf :wave:

LuminousAther: when you talk of a song called 'Imagine', its the song IMAGINE by John Lennon voted best song of the last century by numerous magazines and fans...