Just got Morningrise

as far as the bass player arguments:

Guess what folks? Mike wrote all those basslines for Johan. And guess what else? Mike writes most of Mendez's too. What makes Johan better than Mendez? Mendez plays the old basslines just like Johan. He's just as good, if not better cause he doesn't try to stick out as much tone wise. There may be flashier basslines on the first two albums, but that's cause Mike wrote flashier basslines for the first two albums than the last five. There's really no question of muscianship here when both guys have someone else to write the majority of the stuff they play and Mendez plays the old basslines exactly like Johan.

And as far as Morningrise worship, you're all a bunch of dorks. Morningrise is a great album, but so are the other 6. To say it's so far ahead of the others is pretty lame considering every Opeth album is a different evolution from the last.

Sfarog said:
Followed closely by actual arguments, oh no!

If you are trying to argue, don't use childish insults. If you are trying to insult, do whatever.

Sfarog said:
You call it thrash i call it metal, same fuckin shit. They sound metal to me. And if you really believe they weren't metal why did you use their name in your argument in the first place?

No, I DON'T call it thrash, I call AC/DC bluesy hard rock. Why did I use their name? Because the guy before me did, as simple as that.

Sfarog said:
Your opinion which does not change the fact that they are one of the most influential metal bands ever.

Speak English much? Who cares who the most influential band is? I would argue that Black Sabbath are at least 200 times more influential than Iron Maiden anyways. And Iron Maiden mostly influenced power metal and melodic death, two genres I have very little to no interest in.

Sfarog said:
Oh no, you did not just say a bad word??

?? Stupid bashing...

Sfarog said:
I'd like to hear that statement by anyone in 1986.

I'm sure it was said. There's no way in hell anyone could ever say Lars was a good drummer with a straight face.

Sfarog said:
I hear so many mistakes in the bass parts as far as technical, skilled playing is concerned, i stand by my opinion that he couldn't play. Besides, as you might have notice had you actually read my original post, most of the bass lines was written by Mikael, not Defarfalla.

Who cares who wrote the basslines? That's not what I was talking about, I was talking about the actual playing, which was far better for the first bass player.

Sfarog said:
it would make sense had you not added the last 2 sentences. You simply contradict yourself, you silly idiot.

Quit grasping at straws. I would say that Opeth have had little to no black metal in their sound and that they are not a black metal related band. Where's the contradiction, moron?

Sfarog said:
oh no, god forbid, that would be blasphemous!!

What would be blasphemous is for you to make sense.

Sfarog said:
thats only because you have heard opeth for the first time around 2000 or 2001, and because you dont know jack shit. I'm sure naming some "hot topic bands" of today like PT or Edge... will make you feel your argument was much stronger. wrong again, idiot

Edge of Sanity are a hot topic band of today... o_O
That's probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
And, to tell you the truth, the first I heard of Opeth was when My Arms, Your Hearse came out. Before then, I didn't listen to metal so I didn't listen to Opeth. And I think the Swano influence on Opeth is absolutely blatant.

Sfarog said:
so defensive, are we?
Irony.

Sfarog said:
it wasn't initially intended to come out that way, but thanks, you've proven to me that in your case uttering some stupid bashing can actually do no harm to my reputation.:D

sf :wave:

You care about reputation on the internet? :tickled::tickled::tickled::tickled::tickled::tickled::tickled::tickled::tickled:

commandante said:
LuminousAther: when you talk of a song called 'Imagine', its the song IMAGINE by John Lennon voted best song of the last century by numerous magazines and fans...

Thank you sir, I was talking about the John Lennon masterpiece of simplicity - Luminous has probably never heard it (or any Beatles albums) as he's so busy in his quest for complexity.

LuminousAether said:
"Speak English much? Who cares who the most influential band is? I would argue that Black Sabbath are at least 200 times more influential than Iron Maiden anyways. And Iron Maiden mostly influenced power metal and melodic death, two genres I have very little to no interest in."

The guy didn't say Maiden were the most influential - he said "one of the most influential". Read English much, stupid? BTW if you've heard My Arms, Your Hearse you'll know Opeth covered Remember Tomorrow - which is a Maiden song in case you didn't know - I'd guess from that, Opeth are pretty influenced by Maiden.

LuminousAether said:
"I'm sure it was said. There's no way in hell anyone could ever say Lars was a good drummer with a straight face."

Who gives a fuck if he's a good drummer??? RTL, MOP and AJFA are all fucking great albums, isn't that what counts? I'll use the Beatles again - John Lennon once said "Ringo Starr isn't the best drummer in the world, he isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles!" That didn't stop the Beatles being the fucking classic band they were though did it - because Pete Sandoval wan't their fucking drummer and Steve Vai their guitarist??

Stop talking shite.

LuminousAether said:
I was wondering how someone could be so stupid as to even insinuate that Blackwater Park or Deliverance could hold a candle to Morningrise, then you said you liked Maiden, AC/DC, and Metallica... after that it all made sense. You have no taste. The best part of Morningrise by far is the bass, and when Opeth lost that bass player they started to suck. It's not like black metal either. Maybe more like black metal than later Opeth, but that's not saying much. It's very much progressive death.

Stop having such fucking shit posts, you fucking homo shithead dickface.

YOU SUCK.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
The guy didn't say Maiden were the most influential - he said "one of the most influential". Read English much, stupid? BTW if you've heard My Arms, Your Hearse you'll know Opeth covered Remember Tomorrow - which is a Maiden song in case you didn't know - I'd guess from that, Opeth are pretty influenced by Maiden.

Who gives a fuck if he's a good drummer??? RTL, MOP and AJFA are all fucking great albums, isn't that what counts? I'll use the Beatles again - John Lennon once said "Ringo Starr isn't the best drummer in the world, he isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles!" That didn't stop the Beatles being the fucking classic band they were though did it - because Pete Sandoval wan't their fucking drummer and Steve Vai their guitarist??

Stop talking shite.

I have My Arms, Your Hearse. I've had it since it came out. It doesn't have a single cover on the album. Maybe a reissue does, I don't have that reissue. And if Opeth covered Iron Maiden, I wouldn't listen to it. I would avoid it. Sometimes a band can cover a previously shitty song and turn it good, such as Agalloch covering Kneel to the Cross by Sol Invictus, but I doubt anyone could turn a song from a band as shitty as Iron Maiden good.

And who cares if Lars is a good drummer? Not me... but when a drummer is as BAD as Lars is, it becomes annoying. He's not mediocre, he's fucking aweful. He's easily the worst drummer I have ever heard, and THAT'S why I mentioned it.

And The Beatles suck, I can't stand them. They are easily the most overrated band in music history. People talk about how innovative they were... I bet they just ripped off the underground and no one these days would know about that. The big rock innovation wasn't the Beatles though, it was King Crimson just a short 2 or 3 years later with In the Court of the Crimson King, something that was so far removed from the boy band pop of The Beatles that comparing those two bands would be like comparing Prime Rib to a McDonald's hamburger.

LuminousAether said:
Some people can't do anything but cop out in the face of a superior intelligence.

Lets re-evaluate. You basically think that liking Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica or the Beatles is tasteless, so basically you lost all your creditibility right there.

Also, 6 people here seem to disagree with you strongly and basically think your a stupid fuck who doesnt seem to know what he's talking about.

yes... the wonderfull signs of superior intelligence.

LuminousAether said:
I would say that most people that tout old bands as the best bands are sheep with no opinions of their own.

i never claimed they were the best. I didnt agree when you said that liking metalica or maiden makes a person tasteless. thats all.

(of course we are talking about old metallica - just had to clarify in case someone thought i actually liked today's metallica hehe)

LuminousAether said:
I would say that most people that tout old bands as the best bands are sheep with no opinions of their own.

No, I tout old bands as the best because they're the bands I discovered first, and are my favourites - it's my opinion. I would say you're just touting new, "cult" bands to try and impress people with your knowledge of lesser known bands as though it makes you a musical guru.
Sorry stupid, you lost ANY credibility you had with those comments about the Beatles - the Beatles were only a "boy band" in their early years - they became a classic rock band later on - take a listen to the White Album for proof. If you'd ever heard it you would be able to comment on them instead of coming up with bizarre theories like "they probably stole from the underground"!!! Good idea - dont know anything about a band? Make something up to try and prove your point! o_O
I also genuinely believe you have never really heard a Maiden album but are just bashing them to try and sound "cool". If you'd heard any of their stuff why haven't you mentioned any song titles?? You just make broad statements about bands without being specific. How about "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"? Is that not complex enough for you? What about "Alexander The Great"???
Maybe you should try LISTENING to bands, instead of slagging them off with no knowledge to back up your arguments? You may have your own opinions but what do you base them on? Second hand knowledge and hearsay apparently.
Saying Lars is so bad he ruins the music is another crazy and frankly bizarre statement - I've NEVER heard anyone say Lars' drumming fucked up Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets - more proof you have no idea what you're saying because of all the fucking medication you're on. :zombie:

AC/DC are indeed hard rock. I never really cared about Iron Maiden, I find them boring and overrated. Metallica has two really good albums, "Master of Puppets" and "And Justice for All", the other albums being either shitty or just average.