Once and for all; In Flames gear?

Tanax

New Metal Member
Dec 17, 2008
Hi!

I've read like, so many threads, and tried searching, but I've never really found any info about this.

More specificly, I'm looking to find what guitars and amplifiers jesper and björn uses!

Now I know that Björn uses a Gibson Les Paul, but what model? What specs? Is it custom? Jesper uses Gibson Explorer?

Amplifiers is Peavey 6505(+?), I've read somewhere. Do both of them use that?

We could make this thread a sticky thread like "In Flames gear", if you guys know which gear they use! Also, if you know what Peter and Daniel plays on, you're more than welcome to write that!

I'd like to know more about the guitar amps used thoughout the history of the albums.

I know on the sense of purpose dvd it showed alot of different stuff. They used an orange tiny terror, a 6505/5150, and some type of marshall. I think that peter uses Ibanez 5 strings, and Jesper and bjorn tend to alternate between gibson and esp, but more recently it has been the gibsons. I heard that at one point that Jesper was using a marshall valvestate amp too, but that could just be a rumor.

I saw them live like 2 years ago on SotU but didn't pay attention to the gear really. The 5150s have been considered part of their sound for a long time. I'm mostly curious about the Jester race and Whoracle gear and eq's, effects, etc.
The tone on both albums are amazing especially the december flower lead tone.

I got close with the Jester Race lead tone with my Peavey bandit 112.

I put it on "high gain" mode and put HIGH down really low like around 3, MID is around 5, and LOW is usually cranked.
And then I cranked up the reverb effect on it.

All I know is that they pretty much use peavey 5150's from colony and up.

I'd like to know more about the guitar amps used thoughout the history of the albums.

Yea but, it's more relevant right now to start with getting an overview of what gear they use right now

I know on the sense of purpose dvd it showed alot of different stuff. They used an orange tiny terror, a 6505/5150, and some type of marshall. I think that peter uses Ibanez 5 strings, and Jesper and bjorn tend to alternate between gibson and esp, but more recently it has been the gibsons. I heard that at one point that Jesper was using a marshall valvestate amp too, but that could just be a rumor.

I saw them live like 2 years ago on SotU but didn't pay attention to the gear really. The 5150s have been considered part of their sound for a long time. I'm mostly curious about the Jester race and Whoracle gear and eq's, effects, etc.
The tone on both albums are amazing especially the december flower lead tone.

Do you know what gibson it is? Except les paul, I mean do you know what model? And what ESP is he using?

Do you mean that they use effects on their sound aswell? Wow, that'd be easy to figure out which effect.. :p

Yea but, it's more relevant right now to start with getting an overview of what gear they use right now

Do you know what gibson it is? Except les paul, I mean do you know what model? And what ESP is he using?

Do you mean that they use effects on their sound aswell? Wow, that'd be easy to figure out which effect.. :p

He used a custom shop gibson les paul with dual EMG 85s, and Jesper used his explorers and Vs alternating between EMG pickups and seymour duncan.
If i had to guess the specs on the Les Paul I would say Mahogany body, maple neck, and ebony fretboard (which is plain to see). Those are the most typical setups for a les paul and judging by the amount of lows they have in their music that is probabley it.

Bjorn uses elixir custom strings.

The effects should be pretty obvious. On older records it sounds like a ton of reverb and maybe a little delay on the leads, and a little bit of chorus on the rythyms. It sounds a little bit like Bjorn uses some type of effect but he just has really wide vibrato on his leads like Zakk Wylde kinda. (think Evil In A Closet)

I personally like that alot.

The ESP he was using was an eclipse with pretty much the exact same specs as his les paul.

Okay. Didn't read the thread.
The specs of Jesper's custom Explorer are on the IF website. I believe the Les Paul is just a Les Paul Custom. They use seymour duncan pickups, iirc, probably invaders, or maybe EMGs, in which case probably an 81/89 setup.
They use Peavey 6505s, but in the studio diaries they also play around with an Orange Tiny Terror (great amp, by the way). Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

So, to conclude here:

Björn:
  • Guitar: Gibson Les Paul Custom (guessed specs follows)
    • Dual EMG pickups(81/89)
    • Mahogany body
    • Maple neck
    • Ebony fretboard
    • Elixir custom strings
  • Amplifier: Peavey 6505(+?)
    • Running through what cab?

Jesper:
  • Guitar: Gibson Explorer
    • EMG pickups/Seymore Duncan pickups
  • Amplifier: Peavey 6505(+?)
    • Running through what cab?

Something like that? Feel free to edit the list and post a better! :)

They both use rack-mounted Line 6 PODs, too.

Is the tiny terror any good for metal I heard it only sounds good with rock type stuff.

Yeah. Just playing directly into the head gives you a pretty mild sound, not particularly metal, but if you have a good pedal you can get a fantastic tone. I hooked a tube screamer (one of the new ones, but retrofitted to sound like the old ones that were actually fucking awesome unlike the new ones that aren't) up and it sounded great.
This is with an Orange 2x12. Those are pretty costly.

the old stuff bjorn used an ltd ec400 through a marshall valvestate head and cab, with as metalzone pedal used as a boost and a pod used for allt he cleans

jesper used pretty much the same set up put with ltd EX models

then they both used 5150's exclusively, with tubescreamers(not sure which model), various cabs(i've seen marshall, peavey and mesa cabs) and pods for cleans, and rather then ltd they used gibsons, bjorn a les paul custom and jesper an explorer

lately, jesper seems to have remained the same, but bjorn is now using marshall jvm heads, rather than 5150s