One amp in your studio...which one?

Are the people saying Kemper actually operating only with a Kemper + commercial/free profiles? Or to make the question more open - would you be happy if you couldn't make your own profiles? That is the only worry I have with it really, as I'm considering going completely digital at the minute. In the EU an Axe is a lot more expensive.
I was wondering about that aswell. I think it could be very unfullfilling to use only presets other people created.

I was wondering about that aswell. I think it could be very unfullfilling to use only presets other people created.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean.. but you can make your own profiles in 2 ways.

1) profiling your setup of course

2) make a profile/preset out of the stuff inside your kemper. Choose what stomps you want, what head you want, what cab and effects. Tweak everything by them self and make your own sounds.

Or you could always EQ-match a guitar sound and make it into a profile.

the Axe II rules. The Kemper isn't the kind of thing you can demo in a store.

JeffTD, you're absolutely right. The layout was really the killer for me.

This video here with Keith Merrow, who endorses the Kemper, his talking actually convinced me that the Axe-Fx II is what I want. Take a look, skip around to just his talking parts. http://youtu.be/-uWjdGfGWIQ

For me if not the kemper it would be the mesa mark V.
Second choice would be the recto then 5150.
After covering ONE of these amps, then something totally different like a plexi. But youre not asking for two amps youre asking for one and again for me the mark V hands down.

Still advise you to go to the kemper if you only need one amp.

Because your description of what you didn't like about the Kemper sounded incredibly simplified and reflected either a misunderstanding of the unit or a misuse of it - it didn't seem like something that needed a dignified response and you seemed more than ready to be called out on it.

Its like when somebody likes a recto and somebody likes a 2203.

The kemper is versatile as fuck, no doubt, but TO ME, it does not have the power on, grab the eq and your off, it does not have the smell, the size, and like i said, i don`t like the fizzy top end.

And i stand by my Word that its still a copy of the real thing.

I cant hear the difference when i hear a track, but when i play it myself, i don`t have the feel of my own amp, even when i profile my own amp, its like losing a dimension, something is off, it`s like the kemper is static where the amp is alive.

Hail the Kemper for those WHO like it, but it`s not the same experience.

You can boil it Down to user error, but there is a difference to me.

Maybe Down the line, the Kemper 2.0 will fool me into it s ever so tempting advantages, but not yet. :)

Still a digital box, allthough a good one.

Are you comparing to your amp in the room vs the kemper through monitors or amp w/mic through monitors and kemper through monitors? There's a huge difference and you can't dismiss the Kemper because it doesn't compare to a head + cab in the room, especially with the question was asking about an amp for studio specifically.

Are you comparing to your amp in the room vs the kemper through monitors or amp w/mic through monitors and kemper through monitors? There's a huge difference and you can't dismiss the Kemper because it doesn't compare to a head + cab in the room, especially with the question was asking about an amp for studio specifically.

Offcourse its through monitors, or else there is no comparison.

I really wanted to like it, and i was looking forward to it.

Real true tube breathing amps are like winyl, on paper it looks worse in every way compared to digital, but to some people, nothing is better.

Its about the Whole experience.

I thought Kemper was i was looking for, but im a vinyl guy ;)

Offcourse its through monitors, or else there is no comparison.

I really wanted to like it, and i was looking forward to it.

Real true tube breathing amps are like winyl, on paper it looks worse in every way compared to digital, but to some people, nothing is better.

Its about the Whole experience.

I thought Kemper was i was looking for, but im a vinyl guy ;)

ugh

HipsterVinyl.jpg

Almost a 2 year bump, but just wanted to say that I bought the Axe-Fx II and have had it for quite awhile now. I can honestly say that it was the right choice for me. For strictly recording in the studio, it's phenomenal. Loads of routing options, monitoring possibilities, tons of amps that feel great and most of all it's inspiring to play with. Glad I had you guys to talk to. Thanks to everyone who contributed. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Vasyl Mishchenko