one more slightly off-topic post..... Neil Young

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I know we have some Young fans here. I actually played "Rocking in the Free World" in the last metal band I was in. We beefed it up a little, but it really wasn't too far from the original. I think the guy is a genius though at the same time quite a bit excentric. Thoughts ? Anyone heard or seen his movie "Greendale ?"

Bryant

Haven't seen Greendale...I have only recently opened my mind and heart to Neil Young...the Harvest album touched me. I gotta be honest in that I always took the "skynyrd" approach to Neil in that "A southern man don't need him around anyhow" kind of way. BUT, enter Johnny Cash. I don't know if you've heard it but Cash does a cover of "heart of gold" on his 'unearthed' box set. It just flat out floored me and made me realize what a great song it is. I bought the Young disc. I think he's a pretty good guy...Farm Aid and all. He gets a vote from Ted. I'll keep digging deeper, that's for sure. He's a legend. Immortal.

tedvanfrehley said:
Haven't seen Greendale...I have only recently opened my mind and heart to Neil Young...the Harvest album touched me. I gotta be honest in that I always took the "skynyrd" approach to Neil in that "A southern man don't need him around anyhow" kind of way. BUT, enter Johnny Cash. I don't know if you've heard it but Cash does a cover of "heart of gold" on his 'unearthed' box set. It just flat out floored me and made me realize what a great song it is. I bought the Young disc. I think he's a pretty good guy...Farm Aid and all. He gets a vote from Ted. I'll keep digging deeper, that's for sure. He's a legend. Immortal.
Ha ha ha would you like to hear the story of Skynyrd and Neil ? Neil was a big fan of Skynyrd and wrote three songs for them. They refused to record them and it pissed Neil off. Neil's a really strange and passionate guy so he unloaded on Ronnie because of that. It was much more due to that than to "Southern Man" by Skynyrd or "Alabama" Skynyrd's angst toward Young. What is good about that though is that little resentment of each other probably fueled some of the best songs both artists recorded. These days, they would probably thank each other for the inspiration.
The cool thing about Neil is that Neil does what Neil wants to do. He doesn't care what the record company thinks, nor his fans (though most ofhis fans like him for doing what he wants to do) nor anyone else. The guy wrote one album with voice synthesizers and stuff, wrote some that are pure acoustic folk, some that are hard rock etc. etc. Look into his stuff, not just his hits. He has some wild and different music.

bryant

sixxswine said:
I'm not much of Neil Young fan, you should check out the version of Rockin' that the guys on the G3 tour did, talk about beefed up!
That's a great song to cover. It's simple, but powerful and leaves you with plenty of room to adlib.

Bryant