One of my hell hounds has cancer

Nightshade

Blonde to the bone
Jun 11, 2002
The Petting Zoo
www.floweringnightshade.com
There appears to be a lot of animal lovers on the board so I thought I’d share. I’m really bummed. He’s the coolest dog ever. No, really – I know everyone thinks that about their pets, but the people who work with animals day in and day out (vet, trainer, etc.) who have met him agree. He’s a Rottweiller, half king breed Rott, with his CGC and he’s 8 years old. He can handle complex compound commands and just seems to understand more than a normal dog. He’s got a huge sense of humor and still thinks that goosing is the funniest joke ever. He loves his kitty and she plays with him and lets him put her whole head in his mouth and drool on it. He’s always been gentle and forgiving with children and sick people – he even let a little retarded kid just hang off of him, grabbing and pulling, without a complaint. He saved our lives, our car, and stopped a break in at our neighbor’s. He even stood up one day and started singing with Paul – no shit, he really hit the right note and howled it out as pure and clean as you please. I’ve never seen anything like it – to this day, if Paul hits that note, Vern will join in and sing with him.

It moved so fast. One day he starts limping and we figure it’s a squirrel chasing injury, a month later he’s diagnosed and we’re told there’s no hope and nothing to be done. It’s been two more weeks and he’s just too sick and they can’t manage the pain with drugs anymore. He’s gone from looking perfectly normal to having a huge, sprawling lump all over his shoulder in that time. Paul’s calling today and we’re going to have him put down on Thursday.

I’m wrecked, Paul’s wrecked. Picture two grown adults sitting on a couch sobbing over a 120lb lap dog that can barely hold himself up and he’s trying to comfort us. He’s such a good boy.

His name is Vern. Pics:

VernWithMommyAndTinkSnow.jpg

VernTummu.jpg

SkippyVern.jpg

VernSnowStairs.jpg

I know how you feel.
We just had to put our niece's dog to sleep. My brother got her when my niece was born. Kimba ( the dog, not my niece ) had cancer, the doctors suggested trying some drugs at 600 dollars a shot, minimum once a month.
But she got sick fast and had to be put down a few weeks ago.

:confused:

sorry to hear about this :(
he sounds like a very special doggie, and looks it too.
my condolences, i know how it feels:zzz:

I know how you feel man, I've had doggie losses, too. I have a wonderful Yellow Lab now, and I don't know what'd I do if we had to put him down. He may have cancer, too. :( Wish there was more I could say than I'm truly sorry.