One of the most powerful songs I've heard this year...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
WASP- Heaven's Hung in Black

Commented Blackie: "The title is from a quote from American President Abraham Lincoln when he saw the casualty reports from the battle of Gettysburg, and after reading that he said, 'Tonight the Heaven's are hung in black.' So I took that idea and I wrote it from a point of view of a U.S. soldier in Iraq who's on the verge of dying and he's standing at the Gates of Heaven but St. Peter tells him that because of all the fighting that has been taking place, they have no more room in Heaven, and that he must come back some other time. So based on that understand that the verses are St. Peter talking, and the chorus is the soldier."

I spun that WASP disc once, and thought it was pretty solid. I kind of lost track of them after Headless Children. The new one reminds me of the The Last Command, stylistically. I'll have to go back and listen to this with this information in mind.

My vote for most powerful song of the year... Redemption's "Memory".

Zod

I have not really been into the band the last few releases, I might check this one out.

I've never considered myself a fan of this band, but it's not necessarily because I dislike their music. WASP is just one of those bands I never really took notice of. Any suggestions about where to start? Anyone...anyone? :)

~Brian~

I consider myself a devoted WASP fan. Blackie is an arrogant asshole, but I think he has one of the most passionate voices in metal. The breakdown on the discography (minus the live discs & compilation) in order of preference:

Essential:

The Crimson Idol- Their masterpiece that will never be topped.
The Headless Children: Blackie gets serious
Still Not Black Enough- One of the most under-rated releases ever (get the import Capitol version if possible- 3 additional tracks & 1 different haunting ballad)

Good:

Dominator- Needs a few more spins, but the freshness puts it up high for now
WASP- Down and dirty
Kill*Fuck*Die- Industrial vibe, under-rated
Unholy Terror- Good balance of styles
The Neon God- Part 2- Improvement over Part 1

Ok:
The Last Command- Silly, but fun.
The Neon God Part 1- Tries hard to be The Crimson Idol Part II
Dying for the World- A few great tunes, a few shitty ones

Don't bother:

Helldorado- Sucks
Inside the Electric Circus- Embarrassment

You ever try to get them to do ProgPower? I'd suspect it would go over well (maybe not with initial kiddies yelling [why do they seem to yell loudest], but old-school metal fans and long time attendees of ProgPower.

I'll have to check out this song. I first heard Wasp on a British radio station... and enjoyed it a lot. Been a fan since.

I would start with their first 2: W.A.S.P. and The Last Command. If you can take those, then move on to The Crimson Idol and THe Headless Children.

I consider myself a devoted WASP fan. Blackie is an arrogant asshole, but I think he has one of the most passionate voices in metal. The breakdown on the discography (minus the live discs & compilation) in order of preference:

Essential:

Still Not Black Enough- One of the most under-rated releases ever (get the import Capitol version if possible- 3 additional tracks & 1 different haunting ballad)

Good:

WASP- Down and dirty

Ok:

Don't bother:

Helldorado- Sucks

I'll check em' out Glenn, thanks. :kickass:

~Brian~

Essential:

WOW... someone else who holds THE CRIMSON IDOL in high regard! I agree with you on this one Glenn, I don't think they will ever top that one. And to go a step further, as far as concept albums go, THE CRIMSON IDOL is only second to Savatage's STREETS in my humble opinion.

I've never considered myself a fan of this band, but it's not necessarily because I dislike their music. WASP is just one of those bands I never really took notice of. Any suggestions about where to start? Anyone...anyone? :)

The Crimson Idol! Particularly if you're a Savatage fan.

Essential:

Good:

WASP- Down and dirty

Ok:

Don't bother:

Helldorado- Sucks

Pretty much what he said, except I do like the "Don't Bother" albums, sometimes I need cheesey rock/metal.

Crimson Idol is a great place to start. When you're looking for WASP discs try to pick up the re-releases w/ bonus tracks. Crimson Idol, for example, was released as a 2 disc set with many studio / live bonus tracks.

As a looooooong time WASP fan, I wanted to echo what Glenn and the rest of you have said. Crimson Idol is one of the best releases PERIOD. I think that was Blackie at his finest and it will never be topped. I'm looking forward to hearing the new disc (I haven't heard the new song yet either). I do have one major....actually, huge complaint. For some reason, Blackie continues to alienate his loyal fanbase by being a major recluse and overall pain in the ass. I've seen WASP live a dozen times (the best being the aforementioned Crimson Idol tour) and the last half-dozen or so have been less than stellar. Same dull setlist, blah, blah......They'll be here in SoCal over the summer and I hope they mix it up somewhat.....anyway, had to get that off my chest - now I'm gonna throw on Headless Children - Banali's drumming rules on this one!

In all honesty this is one I downloaded to check out.

I am on the fence with WASP. This one wasnt bad, wasnt great....sort of just there for me.

So I did the right thing, and wiped the files off the HD knowing it was something I wouldnt purchase.

I do love the cover version of "Real Me" though from years ago.

I never was much of a WASP fan but saw them live last year (? I think) and they definitely put on a great show and really sounded great...

I'll check this song out just for the story it has to tell, mucho thanks for the heads up 'cause I love a good story within a song...

Essential:

Good:

WASP- Down and dirty

Ok:

Don't bother:

Helldorado- Sucks

Wow,I really liked Last Command(except for Blind In texas) and Electric Circus

Amazing band always liked these guys live

WASP- Heaven's Hung in Black

Commented Blackie: "The title is from a quote from American President Abraham Lincoln when he saw the casualty reports from the battle of Gettysburg, and after reading that he said, 'Tonight the Heaven's are hung in black.' So I took that idea and I wrote it from a point of view of a U.S. soldier in Iraq who's on the verge of dying and he's standing at the Gates of Heaven but St. Peter tells him that because of all the fighting that has been taking place, they have no more room in Heaven, and that he must come back some other time. So based on that understand that the verses are St. Peter talking, and the chorus is the soldier."

After you get done listening to this track, play Iced Earth's, "Ghost of Freedom" from their Horror Show release.