Online Metal Awards!

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Please vote for who you think is best in each category, and you go into the draw to win a literal-arse load of guff!! (the smallest runner-up prize has 6 CDs - the main prize has 40 assorted CDs and other goodies.

www.onlinemetalawards.com

Make your vote count! :)

Mark

Yeah, I went to this before and I'm still failing to see where I vote. Is there a list somewhere? The only thing I see is a list ofsite links and categories, but no place to give my vote. I'm obviously missing something.

This is embarrassing ...

Well i tried to vote, but i simply didnt have any opinions. I havent bought any new albums this year except opeth and that doesnt deserve it... i dont know when the ones i download come out. Ive never been to any metal concert other than for a couple of local bands. I havent bought anything from any metal store, online or not. Etc etc

I think ill leave my vote till when i actually have some opinions!

my votes:
album of the year: IN there Darkest Shrines
band of the year: Opeth
tour: Nile
site: um.com
online store: blackmetal.com
real store: Blue Meannie records, San Diego
best unsigned band: Astriaal
thats all I can remember...I wish there was a w"worst" category...it would be filled with Berzerker comments....

Originally posted by Moshing Kosher
@yayo: so whats ur opinion on Deliverance?
I personally dont like it. Anyway, you asked the question, so here's your essay, as you should expect... ;)

I think theyve made some good steps forward. Song structure especially, things are a lot more coherant now.. and arent just acoustic-distorted-acoustic-distorted-etc.... Drumming is a massive improvement and is constantly interesting and adding to the riffs (which wasnt so much the case in previous martin efforts, where drums used to really just provide a back drop for the guitars.. now they are an equal part of the rhythm, sometimes even the focal part). The riffing is pretty cool, a few things in there that wouldnt be done on previous albums, and thats a good thing. Production is in some ways better (Its a lot more natural sounding, but it is also a lot more empty sounding, but see below for more on that). Clean vocals have a more proggy sounding edge to them, which is a good thing.

Now the negatives.

The clean vocal style is a nice step, but the use of the clean vocals is rather limited and unmemorable.. the vocal lines themselves are rather uninspiring for the most part, though still quite nice, saved by mikael's great voice (well, i love his voice anyway).

Repetition.... i dont think i really need to say much here, any non fanboy will see this flaw starting to show more and more, unfortunately their new style is showing it up. With deliverance they have started really using repetition to effect, thats a good thing, unfortunately it shows up just how poor they are at repetition.

Another major flaw is it sounds like a single guitar album. Riffs sound like they are written to make up for the fact they dont have a 2nd guitarist... pretty silly since they do have one. Overall this album leaves me with an initial feeling, and very little subtle discoveries its all right there in your face and its completely uncluttered. Futhermore repeating everything without change, as they do, means with a single listen you can find almost everything there is to many sections. When they do layer it sounds full and interesting, it sounds like a big musical experience. When they dont layer they just sound like any old metal band making some good riffs. Probably a personal preference thing, but still, to me it seems like what they are trying to do could be done so much better with some good 2nd guitar parts (and im not talking in the orchid/morningrise way either).

I could go on. Deliverance to me seems like some great ideas, that have been made explicit in a rushed and undeveloped way (excluding drums from this statement). It has its place i guess, its certainly to be listened to differently than one would listen to Still Life, and i guess its just not what i want from music these days. Theres enough good that many will enjoy the cd immensenly, and good for them, i do feel it will grow old quite quickly for some people though.. and for myself, well i cant see it as an album i will always turn back to, i cant see anything that will make this album hold interest for me any length of time.... and unfortunately theres too much i dont like about the album for me to even appreciate the bits i do like to begin with.