Online mixing courses & recording lessons, etc.

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
Hi!

I bought Ermz book, some other books, etc. but I'm looking for online mixing & recording courses (videos). While I see some good options here and there at the moment, the price is often a key part as I cannot afford too much on it. "Hardcore mixing courses" seem really good imho but it's a limited time subscription and I simply cannot buy it now. I saw Joey Sturgis CreativeLive lessons at a decent price and I wonder if some of you have already bought those. Are they really good for a "mid level guy" like me (not beginner but clearly not a pro)? Can we download the vids?

If you have other stuff to recommand, please let me know. I really wanna improve my skills and although I work hard I still feel stuck :bah:

Thanks!

https://www.creativelive.com/catalog/category/audio CreativeLive videos are great, there is even a free downloadable mini-class by Adrew Wade (Recording Rock Guitars Mini-Class, a short version of his guitar recording class). They even re-broadcast their classes free from time to time, also they are usually a little bit cheaper when they're streaming them. See if they have any classes that interest you, there are some example clips you can even view for free on their site and on their youtube page.

Just watched the free Adrew Wade demos vids... cool stuff. The courses by Eyal Levy seem to be really great as well!

Totally not bashing Creative Live courses but TBH, the ones I've watched (like Joey's, both of Andrew's, one of Eyal's) have all given me the impression that they are targeted to beginners and have little you can't find here. Some of the content is also unorganized and there's a lot of repetition when it comes to certain ideas.

That being said, some of the info can be great, you just have to listen to a lot of filler in between, without mentioning the money aspect. Once again, really not trying to be negative because I appreciate the fact that there is any content like this (not to mention that it seems targeted for rock/metal for the most part).

Joey's podcast seems like it could be a cool inexpensive alternative.

search for Michael White on YouTube. just stumbled on it today and despite his voice sounding a bit like kermit the frog, he has some cool stuff.

a lot of the plugin companies have cool tutorial videos, whether you own the plugs or not you can learn lots. check out the videos by sonnox, fabfilter, waves, uad, slate, mcdsp, softube, etc and there's a ton of good tips.

the yoad nevo ones are brilliant, he's an awesome mixer and super humble.

Vihaleipä;11003899 said:
https://www.creativelive.com/catalog/category/audio CreativeLive videos are great, there is even a free downloadable mini-class by Adrew Wade (Recording Rock Guitars Mini-Class, a short version of his guitar recording class)
Where can I watch this one ?
I tried here : https://www.creativelive.com/courses/recording-rock-guitars-mini-class-andrew-wade
But everything is greyed and tells "purchase to download", and there's no purchase button.
Maybe I need to buy something first from them to watch this ?

Also, Heabow, check this : http://www.elephorm.com/audio-mao.html
If you need to learn about your DAW functionnalities or learn about theory, it can be great.
And it's in french.

Where can I watch this one ?
I tried here : https://www.creativelive.com/courses/recording-rock-guitars-mini-class-andrew-wade
But everything is greyed and tells "purchase to download", and there's no purchase button.
Maybe I need to buy something first from them to watch this ?

You'll have to "buy" it, at the checkout you'll have to enter Paypal or one of the paying methods, but they don't charge anything from you, the price should be zero. You'll probably create an account to the website first, it's free though, I got the free download and I haven't bought anything from them before that.

Yeah, that's what I thought and I already signed up because of this.
But still, I can't do anything.

Looks like this on firefox, logged in or not :
Capture%20d%27%C3%A9cran%202015-05-18%2014.32.56.png

All classes have a "buy" button on the right, between "save to wishlist" and "post a review"... but not with this one ! (I also disabled adblock with no luck).
Anyway, thank you for the clarification about the process.
Knowing this, I'll try with another browser maybe.

EDIT : just tried with IE, and still the same, no "buy" option.

Thats strange, I don't have the "buy"-button there either, but when I signed up, the videos were watchable and downloadable (because I have the class on my bought classes-list). You should try to contact the CreativeLive staff, they could maybe give you the links or something since the class is free if you explain the situation, it's worth a try atleast.

Just shooted an email to the support, will report here if I receive anything new.
Was very intersted in the 3rd video about editing.

Back to topic, does anyone own one of the 3 Eyal Levi's "Mastering mixing metal" courses ?
Is there anything worth it in these ?

Just shooted an email to the support, will report here if I receive anything new.
Was very intersted in the 3rd video about editing.

Back to topic, does anyone own one of the 3 Eyal Levi's "Mastering mixing metal" courses ?
Is there anything worth it in these ?

One of the most poorly worded titles for a mixing tutorial I've ever seen :lol:

i really dig the creativelive courses, and i have learned a ton of it, there is not a single worse course in their roster (i purchases most of them audio classes) but some courses are better than others, it all depends on the presentor, some are very very well prepared and you get very much out of it, and some are a bit more chaotic and repetive on some themese, and you still watch it as somehwere in between the talks was the "golden sentence" you where waiting for ;)
the great thing is they have live-streams all over the time and you can watch a little bit and get a picture, and if you like it and find it inspirational you can purchase it.

i can recommend the courses with Jesse Cannon, Eyal and Kris Crummet, and the Studio Pass Courses with Steve Evetts and the one with Kurt Balou are killer
for beginnes the courses with Graham Cochrane about the basics of EQ and compression are ace.

if you are a plain beginner i guess you wont catch some stuff they show on the first time, you should have some basic knowledges, but you can watch it as often as you want until you get it. if you are already more experienced you can get a lot out of it, and if you are already a pro, i guess you already know a lot what they are showing you, but still you might get some useful tips and technics that you havnt thought about yourself and that inspires you.

some sections are more about a philosphy and a workflow behind a theme, instead of how you set the plugin XY to sound good,, and some lections are instead very technical.. its very different.

Vihaleipä;11006886 said:
Thats strange, I don't have the "buy"-button there either, but when I signed up, the videos were watchable and downloadable (because I have the class on my bought classes-list). You should try to contact the CreativeLive staff, they could maybe give you the links or something since the class is free if you explain the situation, it's worth a try atleast.
Got an answer,
It was a mistake, they corrected the page, it's OK now !!
https://www.creativelive.com/courses/recording-rock-guitars-mini-class-andrew-wade

Great! Thanks dude. A lot of stuff to learn hehe :) I bought a class by Eyal Levy (+ an upcoming class by Sturgis) and it's amazing that I've learned many little tricks with this course that helped me to improve my latest mixes. Very pleasant to realize that work pays! On the other side, my other big learning chapter is more focused on technical things (gear and stuff). I must admit that I'm pretty noob there.

I also bought the 3 Eyal Levy mixing classes bundled for 99$.
Didn't had the time to go through all of it, but already learnt a few things from the couple of clips I watched.

Also, totally forgot about this one :
http://www.puremix.net/
Never tried it but it looks nice (there are a lot of free videos).

What you should do is get onto a local studio and ask them if you could assist for a few sessions to get experience.
No amount of videos will be as good as actually being there in the thick of a real commercial session.