Open Letter to Mikael and Opeth

shantideva

unconscious
May 16, 2005
Mikael and Opeth,

I'm not sure if you'll get the chance to read this, what with the tour and all, but you guys seem to have respect for your fans and on the off chance that you do read the boards in the next few days to see the fan response to the SOTU tour, the Grand Conjuration airplay, etc. I thought I would put a few questions up that are on my mind and seem to be on the minds of a lot of other fans as well.

Why aren't any tracks from 'Ghost Reveries' being played at SOTU dates? Will tracks from the upcoming CD be played at any point on the tour, and if so, when? I'm not being critical, what you choose to play is your business, but a lot of fans seem to be determining whether or not to buy SOTU tickets based solely on this point, myself included. Were we mistaken in our information that new material would be played?

Regardless, I'll be catching you on your headlining tour in Boulder (Fox Theatre, again?) as always.

When will the 'Ghost Reveries' shirt be available at the Opeth Store?

I'd've e-mailed, but I don't think I am the only one who wants to know.
I won't be surprised to get no response, but this is better than sitting around waiting to find out from someone else.

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to seeing another show.

-kyle

good questions, i hope mike finds the time to read the boards within the next few days to reply to some threads like this one and the grand conjuration one.

I can probably answer the "why are no tracks being played on tour" part. The same reason Judas Priest did not, people will record it and wrap it in a nice bow tie to start selling bootlegs on ebay and whatnot, or just put it all up for download.

metalages said:
can probably answer the "why are no tracks being played on tour" part. The same reason Judas Priest did not, people will record it and wrap it in a nice bow tie to start selling bootlegs on ebay and whatnot, or just put it all up for download.

hmm, that is logical. If you compare it to the recent grand conjuration low quality rip available for download, people have already made their decision to buy or not buy the new album. Bootlegs put up online could, most probably, have a similar effect.

There's no way Opeth will play the Fox Theatre again, last time they came it was at the Ogden, and now with a huge label they will only play bigger and bigger venues. My guess, if they play a headlining tour this year, is that it will be at the Fillmore, which sounds too fuckin loud and shitty.

MetalAges said:
I can probably answer the "why are no tracks being played on tour" part. The same reason Judas Priest did not, people will record it and wrap it in a nice bow tie to start selling bootlegs on ebay and whatnot, or just put it all up for download.

:erk: nearly every band plays new songs months before the new record is out

I personally think it would be better if Opeth did not play any new songs. I like these type of things to be kept hidden until the revealing date. Either way, if the album leaks I am not going to download it. I will buy it when it comes out. There's just a feeling of excitement when I touch the cd, rather than downloading early. I'm doing the same with the new Nevermore album, even though it's leaked. I heard one song that they posted on their label's site, and it's awesome!

it's probably because this is more of a promotional tour than anything. you go on and play half an hour to try to sell yourself to as many new fans as possible in those thirty minutes... so of course they're going to be playing their three most popular/successful songs given this time frame.

It won't change anything. Now everybody heard it and ppls who are going to sotu are mostly nu-metal fans and doesn't really know the band. So I expect tgc to be played someday on that tour and it's a matter of time until the album leaks so bootleg or not, the album could be leaked before the end of the tour and more than half of the fans will download it anyway. There are no doubts in my mind that ghost reveries is gonna be the best seller.

If this is really the main reason, you gotta take risks and go ahead. iS the album really killer or not? 0r are they playing "in your face" songs because nu-metal is more accessible?

I'll be honest saying I discovered new bands and bought a lot of albums because of downloads and if it wasn't for downloads, maybe I wouldn't be here and enjoying their great music.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
There's no way Opeth will play the Fox Theatre again, last time they came it was at the Ogden, and now with a huge label they will only play bigger and bigger venues. My guess, if they play a headlining tour this year, is that it will be at the Fillmore, which sounds too fuckin loud and shitty.

Opeth's last show was at the Ogden!? last time I saw them was w/ PT in support of Damnation, and that was @ the Fox... they toured since then?

the only show I've seen at the Fillmore was Primus opening for themselves. security was a bitch, but the waitresses(?) were very nice. i thought the sound was fine, but very loud... then again, it was Primus, and i wasn't there to hear clean melodies and harmonizing.

well, if they aren't at the Fox it's a tragedy. i've seen a lot of good shows there, it's a cozy little venue.

Today, 08:22 AM
katatonic.

Just came back... the setlist was:

Drapery Falls
Godhead's Lament
Deliverance
To Rid The Disease
THE GRAND CONJURATION
Demon Of The Fall

wow.

ZeDzEdZeD said:
Today, 08:22 AM
katatonic.

Just came back... the setlist was:

Drapery Falls
Godhead's Lament
Deliverance
To Rid The Disease
THE GRAND CONJURATION
Demon Of The Fall

wow.

wow, didnt expect that.

shantideva said:
Opeth's last show was at the Ogden!? last time I saw them was w/ PT in support of Damnation, and that was @ the Fox... they toured since then?

the only show I've seen at the Fillmore was Primus opening for themselves. security was a bitch, but the waitresses(?) were very nice. i thought the sound was fine, but very loud... then again, it was Primus, and i wasn't there to hear clean melodies and harmonizing.

well, if they aren't at the Fox it's a tragedy. i've seen a lot of good shows there, it's a cozy little venue.

wow you're a dumbass.

remember Lamentations? February 2004, ogden. I was there. I was at the Fox for the Deliverance tour.

Get with the program.

Bad idea. you won't hear it unless you go to an off-date.

SOTU setlist = Drapery Falls, Deliverance, Demon of the FAll IIRC

eh I had a few pictures from the show.

I can get a few pictures of me WITH a fox.

the fox went to spokane about 2 hours ago (on teh train) but...ummm...wtf are we talking about now?

eh...sure I"Ll post some pictures...yeah.

Profanity said:
Any pictures of you with the fox? :lol:

sneeze2x5rj.gif

their so afraid people will download stuff, but the main reason i started liking Opeth (and buying the albums later!) was by downloading blackwater park

What about the UK gigs in September? I guess they will play a longer setlist than in the US (I hope so since i'm going to the London gig at Mean Fiddler on 8th September)