Opening album songs worth the price of admission!

Little Mike Dudley

New Metal Member
May 28, 2015
Hey guys, brand new to the forums. Hope to have some great discussions with you all!

I wanted to get a thread going, and hear your picks, regarding opening songs on albums that alone are worth the $15 or whatever you paid for it. Even if the whole album was just that one song, it's worth the money paid.

I have two that immediately come to mind.

Portrait - "Beast of Fire" off their debut album, Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae. My god, in that eight-minute opener every single aspect of what made 80's metal so great is encompassed in that one song. The opening guitar licks, the falsetto vocals, the driving rhythm, the twin guitar attack solo, the big fina falsetto scream that leads into the driving outro of the track that ends in, almost literally, an explosion. Not to mention the production, which sounds like it really did come out of 1986. I can't gush enough about this one.

Biomechanical - "Enemy Within" off their album, The Empires of the Worlds. Sounding like a mix of Judas Priest's vocal stylings (not exactly, but the closest comparison I can make) and the heaviness and urgency of Strapping Young Lad. After a good 30-second buildup, the music explodes into more buildup of some heavy double bass drumming and keys, dropping away to make way for some sweet guitar riffs, all before flat-out dropping you into immediate head-banging territory. The solo is fantastic, the song is heavy as hell but not forgetting the fun factor with the oftentimes but not overdone falsetto vocals. I love how it ends too, even though it's the first song on the album, the song ends with a drawn-out mash of instruments, acting like it's the closer to an epic album. But it's not - it's just got things kicked off.

Let's hear your song choices!!

Huh. I thought this was going to be "albums where the first song sucks but it's worth sitting through because the rest of the album is so good". That'd be another topic.

Ok, is Dream Theater- Changes of Seasons cheating? The first song is like 25 mins and is the only new composition on the album. It's a pretty great song imo.

No other obvious choices spring to mind right now.

The first one that came to mind is Type O Negative's World Coming Down. 'White Slavery' is the opening track and it really capitulates the album well. So fucking slow and crushingly doomy, it sets the pace for the rest of the album admirably.

The first one that came to mind is Type O Negative's World Coming Down. 'White Slavery' is the opening track and it really capitulates the album well. So fucking slow and crushingly doomy, it sets the pace for the rest of the album admirably.

I hear you on that one. The opening gag track makes you think with a smile, "Haha, good ol' Type O!" and then as soon as those organ notes begin, your face becomes solemn and then you just spiral further into depression as the album soldiers on. Pyretta Blaze is the exception. I think its placement in the album is quite good.

These are my picks. In the case of Rock Goddess and Led Zeppelin, a couple of favourite tracks that stand out to me above the rest. The other two are harbingers of more awesome to come:

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Metallica - Blackened
Rock Goddess - Heartache
Led Zeppelin - In The Evening

There are a lot of candidates but:

Sabaton- Heroes
Cannibal Corpse- Evisceration Plague
Insomnium- Above the Weeping World
Cradle of Filth- Nymphetamine
Be'lakor- of Breath and Bone
Darkthrone- Transylvanian Hunger
Vital Remains- Dechristianize