Opening Night in Hartford, CT

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
Well, Just got in from Symphony X in Hartford CT.

My band, using the temporary moniker The Master's Hand, opened for SX on the mainstage, an amazing rush, especially considering it was our first show together as a band. We played pretty well, we were all happy with our performance, a few here and theres, but the crowd dug us, and the crowd went nuts for a cover of Rush's "Tom Sawyer."

Echoes of Eternity was good, couldn't keep me interested. The chick singer, although an absolute babe seemed more like a gimmick than legit. She looked out of place, though my penis didn't mind at all.

Sanctity sounded like bad metallica trying to be overly badass with Dave Grohl on drums, I was not impressed in the slightest.

Symphony X was dead on balls accurate, I saw em in NYC in May, and thought they sucked in NYC, but this show, damn, they got tight quick. They were a bit loud, almost peaking, making it a bit muddy, but they still played great, and the sound only took away from integral bass lines and a couple keyboard solos.

Setlist in No particular order after the first 4

Oculus ex Inferni
Set The World On Fire
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
PARADISE LOST <---- Holy balls.
Inferno
Evolution
Smoke and Mirrors
The Walls of Babylon - pleasant surprise
Sea of Lies
Of Sins And Shadows

Encore:
The Odyssey

Super tight for the most part, especially considering first night of the new tour. What a night, probably the #1 show I've seen from them in the 5 times I've seen them in the past few years.

nice! great to see their including more of the new material in the set

I REALLY hope they do another US leg later this year or early next year so I get to see them

I was there last night, first row in front of Romeo. Awesome show. I loved the new material, Esp paradise lost.

I've seen them 3 times now, and I wish they would switch up the encore. Would
have been nice to hear Revelation!

The show last night was amazing. I must have taken some good 300 pictures of Symphony X, I'll post some of them here when I get them on the computer. Also, the crowd was awesome!!! Props to the bunch of kids that I "met" in the front row right in front of Lepond and Russ... You guys were rocking out big time!!!

Looking forward to see them this Saturday in Poughkeepsie, and then Worcester next month.

The show last night was amazing. I must have taken some good 300 pictures of Symphony X, I'll post some of them here when I get them on the computer. Also, the crowd was awesome!!! Props to the bunch of kids that I "met" in the front row right in front of Lepond and Russ... You guys were rocking out big time!!!

Looking forward to see them this Saturday in Poughkeepsie, and then Worcester next month.

Hehe, yea we got into it a bit, didnt we? My voice is pretty off this morning

What were the set lengths? How long was the show start to finish?

I would definitely LOVE to see that setlist in Montreal and Worcester!

Great show ! (and first post here). Just curious if anybody else was at the show. I'm looking for a little feedback for Severance here (I played keyboards)...we're just trying to get a feel for how we sounded up on stage as it was our first gig as a full band too...btw if the creator of this thread is the keyboardist for Master's Hand - I cannot thank you enough for saving my ass last night with your stand, you rock! And you guys played pretty damn well too. Props for the keytar jam.

Great show ! (and first post here). Just curious if anybody else was at the show. I'm looking for a little feedback for Severance here (I played keyboards)...we're just trying to get a feel for how we sounded up on stage as it was our first gig as a full band too...btw if the creator of this thread is the keyboardist for Master's Hand - I cannot thank you enough for saving my ass last night with your stand, you rock! And you guys played pretty damn well too. Props for the keytar jam.

Im the Drummer for Masters Hand, I caught the last song and a half of your set, you sounded tight, new singer was solid. A lot of good stuff going on.

The keyboard player roams around these boards, so hopefully he'll see this.

Attendance wise, I was really impressed considering the turnout of a lot of metal shows at the Webster. I'd say there was a solid 600-700 people, the venue holds 1300, which seems like a low number to me with the size of the room, especially with the bar area in the back. The only other metal show I've seen at the WEbster with a bigger crowd was Opeth.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't fucking believe they are playing the Walls of Babylon AND Paradise Lost!!!!

HAHAHAH3JR;L2339939320-333F!@$&#37;pyf#@#%$@#$_____

AIIIIYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE!

....whew.

Needless to say, I'm excited for the Atlanta show I already bought my ticket for now more than ever.

......Walls of Babylon......

Granted, I still wish one of the three similar tunes (SoL, SaM, SaS) was cut for something else, but beggars can't be choosers.

I agree 110%. TBQH I wish King of Terrors was put in place of something like SaM...it's much more fitting and...metal!

Wow! That setlist looks great. I would love to see Eve of Seduction somehow thrown in there though. Possibly even in place of Babylon...(sorry hardcore WoB fans :p ). Congrats on opening for Symphony X thats awesome.

Only 16 more days until SF show! w0000t! :kickass:

I wish King of Terrors was put in place of something like SaM...it's much more fitting and...metal!

I would love to see Eve of Seduction somehow thrown in there though.

There we go! The only way to perfect this setlist:

Cut SoL and SaS, add Eve of Seduction. Personally, the more new stuff the better, IMO. Or maybe a really old one, like Edge of Forever.

Otherwise, man I am pumped for the Mokena show!

The band sounded really tight, obviously you had your shit together. Dug the kurzweil 2600 for some rudess style tones. Pretty strong singer too. Seemed to have a solid crowd response, great to have a local prog style band like this in the area

Although some "not so nice" comments were overheard from some of your band mates about some of the other bands playing, so word to the wise would be to save the trash talk until potential fans/peers won't hear, your reputation on the local scene is just as important as your playing skills/music and that kind of stuff doesnt really help

Anyway, the show was insanely fucking sick. Echoes of Eternity really got me pumped, female front metal done right. Sanctity bore me a lot though.. But anyway on to Symphony X. Personally i wish symphony x would mix their set list up a bit with some of the more progressive material instead of just playing all heavy stuff (minus paradise lost which was breath taking live). However I am not about to complain. The band was firing on all cylinders, and im definately digging pinnella's new keyboard set up. Russell Allen proved once again that he pretty much dominates all other vocalists. Great crowd too

(in response to above, i forgot to quote ya)

thanks for the supportive comments...in regards to the "trash talk"...you're totally right. i know i was guilty of some of it and i didn't even think about it. on behalf of the rest of the band mates (and of course to myself) i do apologize if any disparaging remarks were directed/made at other opening bands, it is in poor taste and not necessary. i know for one, i will watch it next time. everyone played extremely well last night and it was a great atmosphere to be in last night.

BTW, to Masters Hand, popping out that Rush cover was pretty sweet, I totally forgot it was you guys who did that.