Opera metal.

Goldendexter

New Metal Member
May 8, 2003
I'm looking for bands that sound anything like the euphonious Therion. I got into Therion about a year ago, and I have never found a band like them. There has to be some other metal band that has that opera sound to it. The opera metal sounds mysteriously enchanted. I want more. Anyway, what bands are like Therion?

Rhapsody does a little of that every once in a while. Emerald Sword being one of their songs.

There is also Yngwie J. Malmsteen - Concerto for Electric Guitar in Eb Minor: Opus 1.

You'd probably enjoy Virgin Black. Hollenthon is the closest to therion I know of- lots of power chords with their symphonic metal. Alas, has the operatic vocals- I dont even think they are around anymore.

Therion was a great band up to Theli, and Vovin was an ok operatic metal record. Deggial was damn boring and they ripped off every scorpions riff I can think of, and the last album was awful- especially if you dislike the tired power metal genre. From what Ive heard, they gotten much better with the orchestra- but their riffs, drumming, and overall heaviness has just gone by the wayside.

Chaostar is the side project from Septic Flesh's guitarist Sotiris Vayenas . Very good work (not cheesy at all ) , check it ;)

Adam90125 said:
Haggard! Lots of symphony, and death vocals too.

I think Haggad are even better than Therion. My main beef with Therion is that their music seems so emotionless and flat and Deggial just makes no sense to me, classical music and 70's metla rifffs???????? The two do not fit well together.

You would also like Estatic Fear and Hagalaz Runedance or something like that.

Tristania. I used to really love their debut "Widows Weeds", but it kind of grew old.

Someone mentioned Estatic Fear. They're really excellent, though I wouldn't call them "Opera Metal". More folk/classical influenced metal, so if that sounds interesting check them out.

I like this style too, but I don´t know mutch about it. Therion is fucking cool, and I think, Symphony X in some songs can enter in this concept.