Opeth Århus, 2003-10-23

Korlich

So Judah fucked it up
Jul 28, 2003
Århus, Denmark
This was my first Opeth concert so I really had my hopes up, and I must say I wasn´t dissapointed!

Heres the setlist:

Godheads Lament
The Drappery Falls
Deliverance
Windowpane
In my time of need
April Ethereal
Advent
Bleak
A fair judgement
Demon of the fall

So anyway I arrived at the concert just in time to catch a few Extol songs before they where off. But what I heard sounded promissing for a first time listening. Then we waited a long time before Opeth went on. 30 min minimum. But it was well worth the wait. They sounded awesome!. And
Godheads Lament was really a great opener. Then came Drapery and needless to say it was a great performance aswell. After that they played Deliverance, a really great good performance especially lopez´Drumming during the last part. He played that to perfection.

Then came Windowpane and i must say it had a really great atmosphere live, and of course Åkerfeldts clean vocals where incredible as well. Next up was In my time of need and it was a nice song though I had prefered that they played Closure. Then Åkerfeldt turned to the crowd up front and told them all to headbang and make a moshpit, and then came April Ethereal. This was for me the highlight of the show it was so fucking great!. The way he growled and the way most ppl went nuts was just so fucking great (not to mention the incredible playing by the entire band). The sound was just so massive and yet so great. Then came Advent which also sounded alot better live than on record. Bleak was nice even though, Åkerfeldt lost his voice for a moment in the begining of the song. After that came A fair judgement which was my least favourit song. This the only critisism i will make: they should have replaced AFJ with an Orchid song since they had none and two from Deliverance which is my least favourit album. Well anyway in the middle of the song a technichen fell off the stage and Mikael started to laugh and they had to stop playing. Very funny actually although it ruined some of the song as well.

Then they left stage and we all started cheering "Opeth, Opeth....", and "One more song". And after a few minutes they went on and performed "The evil song" as Åkerfeldt called it; Demon of the fall. Everyone went nuts again and it was just great!
Then they thanked us for a good time and said they hoped to see us again and then they reached their hands down to us. I got a hold of Mikael and after that it was all over, and I had to hurry on to catch the last bus home.

Korlich said:
Well anyway in the middle of the song a technichen fell off the stage and Mikael started to laugh and they had to stop playing. Very funny actually although it ruined some of the song as well.

Actually, thats not what happened.
In AFJ, right before Mikael says "here" before the outro, a danish dude, very drunk, said to his friend "There has to be ACTION!", and he started to climb over the "fence" (Dunno hows it called) to get on stage, but as he came up to the stage, still on his knees, he tried to rise up, but he fell straight backwards down on the floor, pulling a monitor with him. I stood right next to him so I saw it all.

But fuck, it was a huge laugh!

Mardyass said:
"There has to be ACTION!", and he started to climb over the "fence" (Dunno hows it called) to get on stage, but as he came up to the stage, still on his knees, he tried to rise up, but he fell straight backwards down on the floor, pulling a monitor with him. I stood right next to him so I saw it all.
Oh so that was what happened. Well he looked like that technichen who had been checking the instruments for a half hour before they went on, so I just asumed it was him. Anyway I could easily imagine what you are saying since many of the audience was VERY drunk.

It was DEFINATELY no tech. After he fell off the stage he started provoking the guard that pulled him away. Goddamn hilarious.

The guy that started to unbutton his pants on stage was quite a good laugh too.

Same goes for the guy that attempted a stagedive, where the people that caught him all fell down on the floor. That bastard kicked me in the head when he fell.