Opeth and Black Sabbath comparison.

Zivilyn

I'm long winded
Jul 17, 2003
Visit site
DISCLAIMER- Don't take this too seriously. It's supposed to be a fun thought provoking read, just take it with a grain of salt. I'm not way too serious about this, just thought it was cool. I was heavily inspired by the "Opeth has run it's course" thread.

I think Opeth is pretty comparable to Black Sabbath in ways.

Orchid - Black Sabbath
Morningrise - Paranoid
My Arms, Your Hearse - Master of Reality
Still Life - Volume 4
Blackwater Park - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Deliverance - Sabotage
The first real live releases are put about at about this point.
Damnation - Technical Ecstacy
Ghost Reveries - Never Say Die
The next album has a key member missing and replaced, Heaven and Hell and TBA.

So why the fuck am I making this connection that seems completely asinine? First of all, if that's what you're thinking, stop taking this so seriously. There are a few interesting freeeaaky comparisons (the names, at times... deliverance/sabotage? :ill: ), but what I'm really getting at is the band's progression and possible fizzle out factor.

Black Sabbath and Orchid are both huge debuts. Some fans wish they never deviated from this musical path, and hold it as their favorites.

Paranoid and Morningrise are kind of the misfits of my theory here. Paranoid is the most classic and well recieved BS album, Morningrise is not that for Opeth.

Master of Reality and My Arms Your Hearse are both steps in a different direction, MAYH more so.

Volume 4 and Still Life are both absolute monsters. More care went into songwriting, a few new sonic elements introduced. Still Life seems to be the most preferred Opeth album, as opposed to Paranoid by BS. You could maybe condense the first three Opeth albums and consider them their "debut albums," and make it work like O,M,MAYH/Black Sabbath - Still Life/Paranoid - Blackwater Park/Master of Reality etc... It really doesn't matter. I don't want to get toooo exact with this whole mess, I'd rather look at the big picture than the minute details.
But now that I look at it in the "debut albums" sense, in some ways it's even more apparent.

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Blackwater Park, my favorites by both bands, were very natural progressions, but not ones preferred by all. The themes from Vol.4 that didn't appear in the first 3 make themselves felt heavily in SBS in tracks like Who Are You?, and I suppose the same could be said in the comparison of Still Life to BWP. Both albums seemed to break themselves from the mold they had created, so for both bands these are turning point albums. For Opeth, it's where the exposure began it's ascent.

Sabotage and Deliverance, other than the pretty cool name connection, is more of the same. Tweaks to what worked before. Critically, they are pretty similar, with A LOT of people suggesting the first 5 BS albums and A LOT of people jumping ship with post BWP releases.

Technical Ecstacy and Damnation, another sorta cool name connection, but it's obviously an apples/oranges thing (apples, for the record). Opeth's D albums were much more closely connected than Sabotage/TE. But still a comparison can be made to the style leaps. Black Sabbath probably hadn't made such a shift since Master of Reality to Volume 4. Pretty similar to Opeth, with MAYH/Still Life being their obvious big leap. But I suppose even that could be argued.

Never Say Die and Ghost Reveries is another cool name correlation. I'll admit to not hearing the entire Never Say die album. But I do know things were going a bit awry with Sabbath. It's not seen as a really strong release, and neither is Technical Ecstacy, but it has it's fans. It does okay. The opinions about Ghost Reveries are mixed, and the sound isn't really classic Opeth.

So if we decide to be really obnoxious with this whole thing, maybe we can figure out what Opeth #9 will be like. Well we know Opeth lost a much adored key member to the band. History tells us some people will find Axenrot to be an incredible fit, some people will never go beyond the Lopez years.
We've been able to tell that the album sales don't match up so well here in this comparison. Opeth will obviously sell boatloads of whatever they put out next, and Black Sabbath slipped slightly under the radar without Ozzy, even with a major blip in it simply for having Dio. But still many fans found Heaven and Hell to be outstanding, completely loved it. It was refreshing to see Sabbath could do it after putting out some shaky stuff. Also, if the name thing holds true (and I know this is really REALLY retarded), we will see something very blunt, general, and pretty much badass. Heaven and Hell is a good strong, simple record name.

AHH WHY IS HE DOING THIS?!?!

Well because, Opeth has made it a long way. They may go down as being this generation's Sabbath. This would be extremely exaggerated obviously, because Opeth honestly aren't really pioneers or anything like that the way Sabbath was.

Not a whole lot of groups have such a rich catalogue after album #8. We all know what ended up happening with Sabbath, post Dio. If not look it up.
Led Zeppelin, the mother of all Sabbath compared bands, obviously couldn't cut it (but chalk that one up to alcohol and maybe some soul selling).
Metallica, look at those guys. I mean that situation explains itself. How many studio albums do they have out now? 9 or so? They're gonna be in the dumpster eventually, and yeah I know they already are, I'm not talking about that.
How about (insert long running band here)? How were they really after #8?

There are anomalies, The Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Motorhead to name a few. But history is telling me that Opeth has a few great moments left (if only for them fanboys, but I'm a borderline fanboy, why else would I do this?) but they're in the twilight of their career. Mikael is Opeth's Iommi. He'll drag this thing around as long as he can, be satisfied, then kind of sit back and wait for the word LEGEND to fall through the cracks. The history of Opeth will be mostly celebrated, even with all of the naysayers around right now.

Now talk about it if you feel like it.

Well I should probably mention that the whole album comparing thing isn't exactly just for kicks. The material a band puts out and how the fans react to it are huge factors in what they dare to try next, or how much more known their presence becomes.

That's quite an interesting way to think about it... I'm a big fan of Sabbath, too. The thing is, Sabbath, Zep, and Metallica were all huge bands, and Opeth is not known in the mainstream. So, there is the main difference. The bands would have evolved differently, had their following been more underground...

I think Opeth will live on longer than them. :) (and "Ghost Reveries" was superb)

That was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. I thought (upon reading the title) that you were just comparing them to Opeth and I said, "what kind of metal band hasn't been influenced by Sabbath!?" :lol:
Thanks for the thought-provoking post of the night :)

Meh. I don't really see the correlations and you could probably do it for any band.

In any case, Technical Ecstacy sucks ass whereas Never Say Die is quite good so even if you're saying Ghost Reveries is a sign of decline, it doesn't fit.

I'm completely lost as to the "name connections"? Whilst the post is interesting, and fun which it is, the comparisons are a little scetchy. I'd have compared Opeth much more to a band who went against the mould of contempory music similar to them, had similar line up changes and met with similar levels of success, for similar reasons, at similar points in their career.

So what you're looking for is band who had been around for 10 years and had remained relativley under appreciated until then, had had 2 bassits, and 3 drummers (or something similar) and whose music had taken a, though still "far out", easier to listen to direction upon discovering they were to sign to a far bigger label. And also a band who has or had very very loyal fans.

Zivilyn said:
Not a whole lot of groups have such a rich catalogue after album #8. We all know what ended up happening with Sabbath, post Dio. If not look it up.
Led Zeppelin, the mother of all Sabbath compared bands, obviously couldn't cut it (but chalk that one up to alcohol and maybe some soul selling).
Metallica, look at those guys. I mean that situation explains itself. How many studio albums do they have out now? 9 or so? They're gonna be in the dumpster eventually, and yeah I know they already are, I'm not talking about that.
How about (insert long running band here)? How were they really after #8?

I like Rush's earlier stuff best, but I have time for more recent stuff too. How many albums are they up to now?

^It's quite hard to find a band that fits your criteria, but Dream Theater kind of fits it. They've been around for more than 10 years, they've never really seen great amounts of success (aside from in Japan, and albeit greater success than Opeth has ever received), they've had 3 keyboardists so far and two vocalists. And Octavarium is obviously far more mainstream than any of their other albums. And finally, one could find many loyal Dream Theater fans even on this board.

this post was directed to Powers.

I did this a year and a half ago with Metallica and got flamed left and right:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3334337#post3334337

I think that in general, many bands tend to peak around their 3rd or 4th album and then fade out a bit later. That's as concise a statement I can make about this topic.

More discussion: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=181299

Originally posted by Heckelgruber

Rush has had 17 studio albums and 6 (I think) live albums. But, as you implied, the first 8 albums are much different than the last 9.

antipunx13 said:
^It's quite hard to find a band that fits your criteria, but Dream Theater kind of fits it. They've been around for more than 10 years, they've never really seen great amounts of success (aside from in Japan, and albeit greater success than Opeth has ever received), they've had 3 keyboardists so far and two vocalists. And Octavarium is obviously far more mainstream than any of their other albums. And finally, one could find many loyal Dream Theater fans even on this board.

this post was directed to Powers.

Perhaps.

I see no indication that Opeth are even reaching their sunset.

With Axe in the mix, my hope is they will get heavier and more like bloodbath; i know maybe a false hope, but...

Havent listened to enough full Black Sabbath albums to compare the two bands, but all I know is Black Sabbath was hugely popular, and still is. While Opeth are playing, and by all indiactions will always play, tiny little clubs like the one in my hometown in Eugene Oregon, at least in the states, while still being able to fill outdoor festivals.

But look at other bands that continue on, they're much older than Opeth. Isnt Mike in his 30s? Look at Iron Maiden, they are putting out some great material new with Bruce back, some of their best ever. I know they had some bumps along the road...

Opeth will continue to put out quality material for at least 5 more albums i would say. While they may not appeal to everyone, they will still do the material they want to do and it will appeal to a lot of people.

OK that's all...

God was I stoned. :lol:
I get intellectual. :erk:

Well I figured the name connections might be lost on a few people. Sabotage and Deliverance seems kind of obvious to me... Both are things you do to someone out of anger, with Deliverance being to someone who deserves it, Sabotage being to someone usually innocent and unexpecting.
Technical Ecstacy and Damnation is a stretch, it might be the sort of thing that only works in my warped mind. The whole thing about "sins of the flesh" and all that leading to damnation, and the 2 robots fucking on the cover.. A big stretch, but so is the thread.
Never Say Die and Ghost Reveries.. Well it's a ghost, it never died right? Right.