Opeth: 8th Most Reviewed Band in Metal

The emotions that a band explore are almost circumstancial, as it is all down to interpretation. A death metal band may 'sing' about butchering a puppy, and whilst this is intended to induce anger, someone may find it overwhelmingly sad.

"Well, there's one song dissected bit by bit. And it just does not hold up under analysis. It is just not INTERESTING. The rest of the album is just like that. It kinda sits there. This is not HEAVY FUCKING METAL the way it is supposed to be played - nothing comes out and screams "On your knees!! I want you on your knees!" like metal is supposed to do. Yes, I subscribe to some pretty old-fashioned metal ideas, that metal is supposed to be impressive and majestic and arouse me into battle frenzy. Not this."

:lol: UltraBoris is cool. Even if he thinks Testament is worthless.

What are you blathering about, woman? On that note, subjective reality is for faggots.

JoeVice said:
This is not HEAVY FUCKING METAL the way it is supposed to be played - nothing comes out and screams "On your knees!! I want you on your knees!" like metal is supposed to do.

Yes I agree with this point on many levels, which is probably why I dont listen to Opeth any more. Sorta defeats the purpose of playing metal.

They're still one of my favorite bands though, make no mistake.

I don't know about this, you can have brutality in emotions without an outright assault on everybody. If anything, I hear much more about the way people torture THEMSELVES in Opeth's lyrics...and that can get pretty fierce, too. So it doesn't seem like just because they're not screaming at all their listeners to get "on your knees" before them that it defeats the entire purpose of metal. The raw aggression is still there--just directed within instead of outwardly.

Sure, there's plenty of metal that directs that agression inwardly, mostly in the despondent/misanthropic black metal genre. But most of the bands in that genre still manage to incorporate all the fundementals of metal in their music while expressing the same emotions, and in some cases, much better than Opeth do.

Actually that lack of 'metalness' in some aspects of Opeth always gets me. I think that's why I listen to Emperor an equal amount. In their day, they were able to mix the ambient, with the melancholic, with the obtrusively heavy in a manner that still retained the inherent characteristic of 'metal'. Opeth's music, in essence is so convoluted that it loses this fundamental characteristic.