IGN's Most Influential Metal Albums

Where's CoB at??? Venom - Black Metal. Bathory - Hammerheart album needs to be there also for inspiring viking metal. Although most of the bands up there are influenctial other than maybe And Justice For All because the past Metallica album had already influenced and Roots was a bad album, it only influenced Soulfly to turn into nu metal. The Jester Race was also an album that greatly influenced melodic metal. But blah... I guess it's a good list if your ONLY talkin bout old school metal and thrash.

Yeah CoB has been a really important influence!

to Norther

Haha, well said. I definitely wouldn't call CoB influential in any way.

The creators of this list must not have taken the "most influential" part very seriously at all, or just lost track of it along the way. I mean, no album in the past 5 years or so should be on the list if they're really talking about music that influences other bands.

I thought the list was ok myself. There's some obvious glaring omissions, and they've ignored extreme metal, but the only album that really shouldn't be there is Blood Mountain. As much as I like Mastodon, it's far too soon to gauge how influential they will be.

opeth is one of my favorite bands dude (easily top 15 top 20)

half the time they sound more progressive rock than metal

I don't think so and do not think the prog rock influences are all that evident until Still Life. Orchid,Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse for example are indeed influenced by black and death metal. I don't think of opeth sounding like a rock band.

BigDave just likes to say "progressive" a lot. It's his thing.

I think the main problem with any non-metal publication making a list like this is that they only pick the most glaringly obvious mainstream metal. Every list like this is exactly the same, with MoP and any of the first few Sabbath albums at the top.

How many 'metal' publications continue to make the same mistake though? Master of Puppets is a pro forma addition to all such lists it seems, despite the fact that its actual influence on the development of metal was nil, especially when compared to, say, any of the first three Slayer records.

Any legitimate top 10 for influence in metal would pretty much have to consist of some combination of:

Black Sabbath: Paranoid
Judas Priest: Stained Class or Sad Wings of Destiny
Discharge: Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
Slayer: Show No Mercy or Metallica: Kill 'Em All (an argument can be made for both, though my feeling is that the Slayer record was the more important one)
Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1
Slayer: Reign in Blood
Possessed: Seven Churches
Morbid Angel: Altars of Madness
Hellhammer: Apocalyptic Raids
Bathory: Under the Sign of the Black Mark

How many 'metal' publications continue to make the same mistake though? Master of Puppets is a pro forma addition to all such lists it seems, despite the fact that its actual influence on the development of metal was nil, especially when compared to, say, any of the first three Slayer records.

Any legitimate top 10 for influence in metal would pretty much have to consist of some combination of:

Black Sabbath: Paranoid
Judas Priest: Stained Class or Sad Wings of Destiny
Discharge: Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing
Slayer: Show No Mercy or Metallica: Kill 'Em All (an argument can be made for both, though my feeling is that the Slayer record was the more important one)
Helloween: Keeper of the Seven Keys Pt. 1
Slayer: Reign in Blood
Possessed: Seven Churches
Morbid Angel: Altars of Madness
Hellhammer: Apocalyptic Raids
Bathory: Under the Sign of the Black Mark

where is death - scream bloody gore?