Opeth and Triumph?

soundave

Oct 13, 2005
MA
Had a serious "what the?!" moment today. I was listening to the local classic rock radio station and they played Triumph's "Fight the Good Fight", which I'd never heard before, and I thought "Geez that sounds familiar..." So, I wracked my brain and finally realized that it sounds eerily similar to "Face of Melinda" at 6:37. Not exactly, but enough for me to want the guitars that come in at about 7:07 to play on the Triumph song! Check it out on the iTunes music store to hear what I mean. Kinda weird. I wonder if Mikael has heard it... I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

i'll check it out. i've never heard the band.

but, i like the word triumph. it sounds cool...reminds me of trumpet, which is a similar word in spelling and pronounciation, and is often used in arrangements which symbolize a triumphant moment. this type of arrangement would be extra spectacular if the triumphant one was an elephant.

that's so cool, when songs "mix." like I was listening to opeth(I think) a while ago, of course I can't remember what song, but I was expecting the solo to lead into GNR's november rain, just certain notes were sustained or played in a similar/same manner to some in that GNR song.
anyway, face of melinda has that fucking awesome riff about 7 mins in or so...
http://rapidshare.de/files/16158988/faceofmelinda.mp3.html
one of the best riffs ever.

Triumph was a band highly underrated and beneath the radar of American mainstream rock. In my teens, there wasn't the pop star crap of today. Mainstream meant radio play, that's all. The media exposure of music was so much more tame back in the day. I assume Triumph had much more exposure in Canada.

It's like The Tea Party. I love them, but they never got much American radio play. The Bazaar was the only Tea Party song I remember being played on the radio. Again I assume they had much more exposure in Canada. I took the family on a raod trip several years ago, seeing Nickleback @ Univeristy of Massachusetts Amherst on a Friday night, the The Tea Party in Montreal the following night.