Opeth Appreciation Thread

Ümlaut

The Grand Conjurer
May 6, 2008
Since I've seen a lot of hate on the last few pages about the new album, I figured I'd create a thread solely for Opeth appreciation in general. This is not a 'what is your favorite album' thread or a 'I don't like X because X' thread. Simply reply with what got you interested in Opeth and why you continue to like them.

HATERS STAY AWAY

I've listened to Opeth for a few years. I can't quite remember which song I heard that first got me interested... I'm thinking it was The Drapery Falls. It could have been Still Day Beneath The Sun, though. The Drapery Falls was definitely the first song I heard by them that had 'death vocals'. Normally I hate death vocals because I can't understand what the hell they're going on about. Mikael as you know is a very good growler because you can understand a lot of what he is saying, which is what I noticed immediately from The Drapery Falls. As to why I still like them, well with Watershed's release and from listening to their past albums, I can tell that Opeth is very fond of music. They're passionate musicians, equaled by few and surpassed by none. Mikael is a wonderful song writer and guitarist, and I hope one day to finally meet him and shake his hand. :kickass:

(Also, the above is my opinion so don't start in with the 'X band is more passionate' or any of that crap. This thread is for Opeth appreciation and not for trolls/drama addicts)

Coming from the person who's been criticizing their stuff for the last few weeks, I must say that Opeth were, and still are, my favourite band. A big thankyou for the passion and authenticity behind the music. Opeth blew away the stereotype in metal music. I'm sorry if I'm a bit too critical, but really, I wouldn't bother with criticizing them if they weren't my favourite band.

*Wipes away hippy tears*

good thread. yes, there has been ALOT of hate/negative threads lately. everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but most of the threads arent opinion oriented, just members spouting off their plea for the old opeth.

Coming from the person who's been criticizing their stuff for the last few weeks, I must say that Opeth were, and still are, my favourite band. A big thankyou for the passion and authenticity behind the music. Opeth blew away the stereotype in metal music. I'm sorry if I'm a bit too critical, but really, I wouldn't bother with criticizing them if they weren't my favourite band.

Interesting, I am also very critical of things I enjoy.

*Wipes away hippy tears*

+1 lol

Isn't this forum kind of an Opeth appreciation thing?
it use to be...

That's where this thread comes along. :)

I hadn't listened to metal for many years and Opeth made me start again. Yes I'm a relative newbie (2005).

Don't think it matters how long you've been listening to a band, aside from having the privilege to have been listening to them longer.

Probably felt good to be around when some of their best stuff came out.

I understand that the idea of a forum is discussion, and that discussions usually involve differing points of view. But sometimes I wouldn't mind if everyone here were fanboys and girls and wore it on their sleeves. I mean, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this band, and I'm always trying to get people (mostly non-metalheads, as that describes most of my friends and family) to listen to them. My wife, for example, has sort of tolerated Opeth over the years. She liked MAYH best of what she'd heard up until Watershed, of which she said, "That was actually really good," when it finished.

I don't really want to think about Opeth's faults. I don't want to see behind the magic. I wish we could all just join hands around a fire and sing kumbaya. Or Harvest. Yeah, Harvest. I'll drink that Opeth flavored Kool-Aid. Sounds super lame on my part, but these critical threads bum me out. Especially when there's so much, imo, to be happy about.

[/gayness]

I understand that the idea of a forum is discussion, and that discussions usually involve differing points of view. But sometimes I wouldn't mind if everyone here were fanboys and girls and wore it on their sleeves. I mean, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this band, and I'm always trying to get people (mostly non-metalheads, as that describes most of my friends and family) to listen to them. My wife, for example, has sort of tolerated Opeth over the years. She liked MAYH best of what she'd heard up until Watershed, of which she said, "That was actually really good," when it finished.

I don't really want to think about Opeth's faults. I don't want to see behind the magic. I wish we could all just join hands around a fire and sing kumbaya. Or Harvest. Yeah, Harvest. I'll drink that Opeth flavored Kool-Aid. Sounds super lame on my part, but these critical threads bum me out. Especially when there's so much, imo, to be happy about.

[/gayness]

once again i agree with you. lets make this forum as good as it was years ago. where threads were built on delving into lyrical meanings, analyzing song structures and how intricate they can be, sharing stories of listening to opeth and how they can fuel one's creativity to write a poem, paint, sculpt, play music, live.

^Good post.

What's so wrong with being a fanboy?

If ever there were a place to be a fanboy, it would be the forums.

You can be all 'serious' and 'critical' in person, if you want. :D

Well, I criticize in a civilized manner (I hope). Namecalling and all that stuff is for people who can't follow a logical argument. Having said that, I abhor seeing everything they do in a good light simply because of their being Opeth. They have no god status in my heart, though they are my top band. I've always liked them for what they do, and not for who they are.

Ümlaut;7338396 said:
^Good post.

What's so wrong with being a fanboy?

If ever there were a place to be a fanboy, it would be the forums.

You can be all 'serious' and 'critical' in person, if you want. :D

agree. ill admit im an opeth fan boy. it's come to a point where if someone praises mikael on this forum they get crap from everyone else, if someone/something has changed your life or inspired you dont you have the right to enjoy and cherish it?

let us remember that mikael too is a fan boy. imagine how he felt when he met his influences. isnt that what opeth is to some of us (including i) our influence?

^For truth.

To hell with naysayers. I came to this site to discuss the greatness that is Opeth.

People can criticize if they want because forums are for discussion, but the needless 'shit thread' posts and giving newbies shit for asking a question that may have been asked before is unacceptable IMO.

I discovered Opeth on the 1997 Century Black compilation, Firestarter, with Nectar from Morningrise. I loved the way they were blending acoustic/electric guitars, the voice, the mood of the song. Since then, I've always been a fan of their work. Every album has something unique that makes you rediscover Opeth in a new way. It's one of the few bands that I can listen to without getting tired of their music. Each song has something and the more you listen to them the more things you notice, you discover.

I finally saw them live in Montreal on may 23rd and I can say it's the best performance I've seen for a long time. Technically, they are amazing and I love the fact that they don't pretend to be tough guys who don't give a shit. The way Mikael interacts with the crowd is amazing, I guess it's his way of saying thanks to the fans.

They're supposed to come back in September, I will definitely be there once again