Opeth Appreciation Thread

Every album has something unique that makes you rediscover Opeth in a new way. It's one of the few bands that I can listen to without getting tired of their music. Each song has something and the more you listen to them the more things you notice, you discover.

I definitely relate to this. You can listen to an album for awhile, get a little tired of it, then just put in a different album and totally be blown away by Opeth all over again.

Opeth is the only band I've been able to do that with. :headbang:

I appreciate the hell out of them!!! In fact, I thank my lucky stars that I was introduced to them back in 03, and that I stuck with them during my "can't handle the growlz" phase :p. I have moved on from that bullshit, and now I listen to Mike and the boyz almost on a daily basis. They are like one of my "needs" now, as silly as that may sound. If I go a few days sans Opeth, I start to feel like something's wrong.

Long live the Opethian kings!!! :kickass:

Am i the only who hates the "best album" "best song" threads on here? i will never have a favorite opeth song/album. i could be addicted to MAYH during the entire summer, then when the cold air comes around Morningrise may become a constant daily listen. thats what i love about opeth, you just simply cant compare any album with the other and you could listen to opeth year 'round and not get tired of their discography.

Am i the only who hates the "best album" "best song" threads on here? i will never have a favorite opeth song/album. i could be addicted to MAYH during the entire summer, then when the cold air comes around Morningrise may become a constant daily listen. thats what i love about opeth, you just simply cant compare any album with the other and you could listen to opeth year 'round and not get tired of their discography.

I knlow what you mean. I use those threads as "best album/song RIGHT NOW", because as we fans can pretty much agree on, it changes like the weather.

I can sort of relate. I can vote on those polls for my favorite album, then maybe the next week that will have changed.

EDIT: Basically I agree with above poster. :headbang:

I disovered Opeth right around the release of the D/D albums. A flight I was waiting for was late so I decided to kill some time browsing through magazines. I can't remember which one it was but there was an article about Opeth, whom I'd never heard of. I remember reading the descriptions of their song style and thinking "ten minute songs that run the gamut from prog rock to acoustic to death metal? Why am I NOT listening to this band?" soon after, I bought Blackwater Park, and listened to it straight through. I think I was already in love with the band by the end of the first riff off of Leper Affinity. I was like, augmented chords in an intro? Weird, but awesome!

I feel like Opeth was tailor made for me because I always loved the epic songs from bands like Metallica and Iron Maiden, and also because I divide my playing between my classical guitar and my B.C. Rich, depending on whether I want to play something beatiful or something brutal. Until Opeth, I never thought these two extremes could be so effortlessly combined.

This is a good thread. I agree, there has been a lot of negativity lately.

My first introduction to Opeth was the song Blackwater Park. It is my favorite song from them now, but my first comment then was simply "another great band wastes their talent on growling". Ironically, I've learned to loved the growling to the extenct that I realized that Opeth wouldn't be Opeth without it. Even more ironic is that I still can't stand growling (other than Opeth). I'm not really a big fan of metal (something that has been the case more and more during the later years), but I'm still a big fan of Opeth. They are my favorite band, and that's not likely to change.

Ümlaut;7338780 said:
^I'm with you on the 'can't stand other growling'.

listening to opeth allowed me to open up to so much more music that has "scream/growling." i now adore bands like wolves in the throne room, negura bunget, and enslaved all thanks to opeth. not to mention all the other genres of music opeth has opened me up to.

listening to opeth allowed me to open up to so much more music that has "scream/growling." i now adore bands like wolves in the throne room, negura bunget, and enslaved all thanks to opeth. not to mention all the other genres of music opeth has opened me up to.

Wow, these exact words could have come out of my mouth, right down to the bands you mentioned! Opeth essentially changed the way I perceive music, tbh. I could never thank them enough for that!!!

i got into opeth kinda late in the game (2002 or so), but i've definitely made up for it by listening to hardly anything else since. once i heard master's apprentices i knew this was a band i wanted to really get into. i have listened to metal music all my life and opeth was one of the fews bands i knew i could get into. i never liked pop or "cock rock" or any of the shit play they on the radio or mtv or vh1 (except for back in the day when they actually played decent music). to this day i don't listen to popular bands like nickelback or 3 doors down or whatever the popular bans are these days, i just don't know them cause i dont' care for that kinds of music. i have always loved the death growls and that's mostly the kind of music that i listen to. i also love bands like the scorpions, pink floyd, tool, rollins band, rage against the machine. and i love classic stuff like the beatles and lep zeppelin and deep purple of course, but it's like once i got into opeth that's just like all i want to listen to. even now i can put on still life or MAYH and it just blows me away, it's the kind of music that i want to hear. this shit that's popular these days just doesn't do anything for me at all. i meet people at work who say they listen to "metal" and it's all the stupid cheesy bands that are popular, and i'm like, that's not fucking metal dude. listen to opeth, and they're like, who is that, cause of course the only major retailers within 50 miles of my town doesn't sell opeth cd's.

I listened to My Arms Your Hearse all the way through last night for the first time in an a few months. Damn that album is the perfect balance of dark and catchy at the same time. When I go back and listen to one of their masterpiece albums (Morningrise through Deliverance IMO) it makes Ghost Reveries and Watershed look not quite so good, not because they aren't excellent albums mind you, it's more because those 5 albums sound like perfection to me.

I also realized something last night. Every album (from any artist) that I put in the "all time masterpiece" category has been an album that I discovered later. What I mean is, that of all the times that I have looked forward to a release date of an album and bought it the day it was released I never end up thinking of the album as an all time great.

I was so close with Deliverance, I bought it the year it came out but I was late to the Opeth party so I wan't anxiously awaiting its release date. I was awaiting Ghost Reveries and Watershed though, so I wonder if it's all coincidence or is it some kind of subconscious thing where it has to be an older album for me to appreciate it.

Other albums that I consider my all time favorites, none of them did I anticipate before they were released:

Ride the Lightning
Master Of Puppets
And Justice for All

Highway to Hell
Back in Black

The Chemical Wedding
Obsolete
Prison of Desire
Rust in Peace

Images and Words
Awake
Scenes from A Memory pt. 2

Light of Day Day of Darkness
Operation Mindcrime
Burnt Offerings

And of course...
Morningrise
My Arms Your Hearse
Still Life
Blackwater Park
Deliverance

So to be clear, I love the newer Opeth albums but I am still waiting for my anticipation for the release of a new album to be rewarded with an all time great.

Sorry for the rambling, I thought about starting a thread on the topic of how when I anticipate an album it doesn't turn into one of my all time favorites, but thread starters really take a beating around here.