Opeth - Burden

L0bster

OneTwo!
Feb 28, 2002
Stockholm
Visit site
Hey, Dan, have you heard this song?
It's a ballad track on the new Opeth album, and I think it actually has kind of a Nightingale feeling to it, especially the last chord in the verseruns, a late 70s kind of postprog turn to it.
A mix between late opeth and nightingale, sure sounds nice to my ears. I really like the rest of the album as well (listen to the total prog-cock out keyspart in Lotus Eater), but that's off topic on this forum.

Dude, I made a similar post to this one a while back. I'll forever argue that the vocal melody of "Burden" has been influenced by Dan's work on Unicorn's Emotional Wasteland. Dan's repeated "I don't understand..." part has somehow ended up on "Burden", melody wise.

Unicorn or Nightingale may change, but it's definitely Swano there. Good observation.

Mike actually phoned me up during the writing of the new opeth and asked for a copy of White Darkness for inspiration....I hope there is atleast one second on there to make it worth the postage ;)

Dan Swanö;7320933 said:
Mike actually phoned me up during the writing of the new opeth and asked for a copy of White Darkness for inspiration....I hope there is atleast one second on there to make it worth the postage ;)

Wow, I didn't know Mike was that cheap! ;) He better give you a copy of their new album!

BTW: Musikbörsen Örebro is in the thanks list :)

still no Watershed for me. Just cranked Ghost Reveries the other day, and man, that album is really really good. After a few edits (a few passages go on for a little bit too long for my unpatient taste!!) it would be an amaaaazing album!!!

Dan

I guess it's unanimous. The beginning of Burden always makes me think of something Swano, particularly the Last Song. I sometimes feel like Dan is going to pop up and start singing the song.

Watershed, despite the silly name, is definitely the best Opeth album to my ears in a long time. I wasn't a big fan of Ghost Reveries, and Deliverance was a bit dull. I enjoyed Damnation, but it always feels like half of an album. They definitely made a few steps in the right direction this time, which is good to see, as I used to be a massive fan of the band.

^Agreed! Ghost Reveries and D&D where all good albums but I felt like something was missing for me. I think that with Watershed they have found whatever was missing. I really like the album. It's not the same band that made Orchid, or even Still Life but it sure is a new promising direction they are heading in.

Interesting stuff. I'm a big fan of Orchid and Morningrise is one of my favorite albums ever, but before long after that I felt they were re-hashing and selling the same album to us over and over again. The sound of the rhythm guitar (maybe the way it's produced or tuned?) just sounds sick to me. And it's the same sound on every album. And "sick" in the bad way, like it needs a fucking cure and quick like. They finally made a decent album with Damnation, though. But I agree with with the poster above who said it's like "half" an album. Maybe I'll try Watershed. It better not suck.

Opeth need to go totally clean vocals, the grunts are childish. Watershed is ok.. the clean vox will never top Still Life. Not even close.
Katatonia has the best current sound out there I think, plus great lyrics. Another Life sounds great too. Nice vocals.

Opeth need to go totally clean vocals, the grunts are childish. Watershed is ok.. the clean vox will never top Still Life. Not even close.
Katatonia has the best current sound out there I think, plus great lyrics. Another Life sounds great too. Nice vocals.

I totally disagree with you.

The mix between growls and clean vocals are part of what makes Opeth Opeth.

I think Opeth should add more death vocals...

If I am not in the mood Mikes clean voice puts me to sleep.

On Burden his voice is great though.

How can anyone make their vocals sound so inhuman anyways, Is Akerfeldt using special effects all these years?