Opeth "Deliverance" review @ DigitalMetal

Originally posted by Masters Apprentice
Needs more paragraphs..

:)

I think thats just there style, I guess they like there reviews to have the appearance of a "Strip" with-out any paragraphs, this is apparent with all there reviews.

Well anyway, thanks Digital-metal for providing that review link, it was quite a nice read.

:)

:cool:

I think it's the best review out there. Chris Dick sure knows what he's talking about...

So, a sixth time around Opeth haven’t failed, and while Deliverance isn’t the massive step some of their devotees expected, the album is very much leagues ahead of the genre in which they’re seemingly a part of. And believe me, when Damnation lands sometime in March 2003, Opeth will be even farther away from so-called peers, because in all fairness it’s a magnificent piece of work. Trust me, I’ve heard it. Opeth are unfailingly great.

:eek: :eek:
DAMN HIM!

I really like the review... he does seem to sum up a lot of things I tought... although he uses longer words than I know..... Wreath is just perfect. And the line "Upon your lips dwells nothing but the meaning of my cause"... is just... perfect again!

Pretentious as hell, and scape goat-ing the death metal scene because some people are questioning the bands' level of creativity is lame. If a band fails to deliver based on the precedents its set, then that band should be called out on that--I don't see how switching the focus onto the scene as a whole really does anything but try to throw the reader off. Especially when you get to things like "the scene", there are always going to be the weaker bands, so saying "it's not the best, but it's better than the rest of _____" is pretty much a given.

That being said, Deliverance actaually did up the ante in the death metal department, they added some jazzy drumming, and the solos are a lot better. It's not lackluster by any means, but I somehow do feel that the band is creatively slowing down. That notion can be misleading though, since I am not really a fan of their death metal stylings...that is to say, Damnation can no doubt change all that.

opeth are part of musical scene, a movement. to me, their music transcends much of the drivel that gets past around as death metal. i mean compare "orchid" to "altars of madness". both albums are different in almost every respect, but they have commonality. they are also milestones for the genre.

what i'm getting at is too many bands follow the pack, especially in america, instead of saying, 'fuck off. i'm doing what i feel.' i know opeth do that and as far as creatively slowing down, i don't agree. opeth have found their sound, since 'still life,' i think. you heard on 'delieverance' different things happening, and that's part of opeth's evolution. if it happened too much album to album, like atheist 'unquestionable presence' to 'elements,' i don't think i'd identify with them as much. and think about it, most bands don't jump around that much: iron maiden, judas priest, morbid angel, so on.

opeth is feeling and as much as that sounds pretentious, that's how i, and many others, connnect with it. end of story.

"Damnation" is distills many of Opeth's acoustic non-metal elements with a heavier helping of '70s prog/folk rock, and it's drenched (tastefully) in mellotron and almost adult contemporary vibe. Don't cringe at the AC comment, 'cause it's very relaxed, controlled but challenging to listen to. I would say it's some of Opeth's best work, and Mike's voice is very strong, confident. Expect something different, by the way.

yes, that's true. he's going back to england to 'mix' the vocals. i heard an unmixed version. i don't even own one kilobyte of "Damnation". i don't have it on CD-R, nor did i hear it over the phone. :) believe me, i've heard, and all i ask of you guys is to be patient and get ready for a very different side of Opeth. it's going to be well worth it.