Opeth "Deliverance" review @ DigitalMetal

Exactly. Why would I lie? I'm not boasting about "Damnation", but rather saying it's a great piece of work. You'll hear it soon.

By the way, nice Converge avatar. Now, that's a great band.

Originally posted by digitalmetalcom
Exactly. Why would I lie? I'm not boasting about "Damnation", but rather saying it's a great piece of work. You'll hear it soon.

:lol:

opeth is feeling and as much as that sounds pretentious, that's how i, and many others, connnect with it. end of story.

That wasn't what I was calling pretentious--I was referring to the fact that the person who did the review was heavy on making some grandiose all metal encompassing statements. It's my feeling that when you review an album, aside from citing influences, the subject should be that band only--how it measures up and compares to previous efforts, and ultimately, where the album stands in the band's discography.

That, and to be honest, some time some where, I'm sure metal fan X has figured out that Opeth is a very special band--I just don't see the need to be so redundantly grandiose about that.

I'm sure metal fan X has figured out that Opeth is a very special band--I just don't see the need to be so redundantly grandiose about that.

By doing that, you've completely disregarded the reasons folks do reviews.

If someone/some band outdoes themselves, people are going to write about it, and folks are going to want exactly how. If it calls for redundancy, bring it on.

A reviews job is to make people want an album, or to warn the readers about a crap album. The more explicit, the better.

Make sense?

If they outdo themselves, well, they outdo themselves. What does that necessarily have to do with other bands in sub genre X of metal?

Yeah, kudos on the reviews on your site, one of very few I agree with!

Have you heard the new Converge material too? I just read about it in a magazine, so you've probably had it for the last 12 months or so :lol:

I also suspect you missed my point...I don't have any gripes with praising the band for what they've done relative to their own releases, what bothers me is the involvement of other bands with completely different sounds and goals as criterion for reviewing one particular band's work.