Opeth - Deliverance

Masters Apprentice

Homewrecker
Nov 2, 2002
THe OlWOZau Wha.e HUH?
I posted this in the Opeth forum because I hadn't seen this forum..so this is just a repost!
-----------

Opeth
Deliverance

1. Wreath
2. Deliverance
3. A Fair Judgement
4. For Absent Friends
5. Masters Apprentices
6. By The Pain I See In Others

=====

It's been a funny old year. Relatively few albums have made the grade and as such, unoriginal and bland bands like "The Datsuns" have been hailed as the saviours of music. Thankfully, for those of us with a little taste, we have Opeth as our musical redemption for the year, because in "Deliverance" they have finally produced an album which amounts to more than flavour of the week.

Opeth already being one of the most celebrated and critically acclaimed metal bands on the planet, decided to split their newest recording session into two albums. The first would be a heavy mosh-friendly effort, Deliverance, and the second would be a collection of the emotional, touching side of Opeth called "Damnation" which is to be released in Spring 2003. Why Opeth would do this, and subsequently sacrafice the completeness of their previous albums which combined the two sides of Opeth to great effect, is somewhat of a mystery - they are only being paid the equivalent of one album so cashing-in on their growing popularity is definitely out of the question. Whatever the reason, I am pleased to say that quality has not been sacrificed and "Deliverance" feels and sounds as great as any release before it - although there is no question it lacks the touching emotional side that normally comes with an Opeth album.

But Opeth have not tried to sell this as a normal album, they have publically announced the decision to release two seperate albums this time around and as long as you remember that fact when listening to this, you will not be dissapointed - because if there is one thing that this album delivers without a shadow of a doubt is heavy headbanging music at it's best.

My initial impressions of this album were not very good, apart from the epic opening track I found most of the songs to be quite hard to grasp and found them very difficult to listen to for the entire durating of the song. The album sees the proggresive/black-metal combination contain far more of the progressive than on any of the previous albums, and for people who aren't big fans of that genre, they will almost certainly run into the same problems as I did. But thankfully, Opeth aren't stupid and like the clever chaps that they are, made sure that the two most familiar and easily accessible songs on the album are also the first two songs on the album.

2 seconds pass and already a brilliant thunderous drum beat, orgasmic roar from Mikael Akerfeldt and heavy roaring guitars have passed. Welcome, to Deliverance. Opening track "Wreath" is classic Opeth and is the least experimental of the 5 main songs on the album, almost anyone listening to the album who has previous experience of Opeth will find this song as the saving grace of an album which needs time to grow. The techniques and overall feel of this song sound so familiar it could indeed have been lifted straight from "My Arms, Your Hears" and you wouldn't know the difference. Not that this a bad thing, the afforementioned album contains arguably the best of Opeths heavy material with classics like "April Ethereal", "When" and "Demon of the Fall" and so what better way to start a heavy album off with a song which sounds like the best of all these songs whilst still sounding fresh? Putting this song as the opening track was an asbsolute masterstroke not only does it gently ease fans back into the ways of Opeth but also sets up the tone and mood of the rest of the album perfectly.

If the beginning of "Wreath" was impressive then the beginning of self-titled "Deliverance" is godlike, much like the rest of the song then. Within 4 or 5 listens I had already found the song which could very well be my new favourite Opeth track, it contains so much innovation and brilliance whilst still remaining faithful to the "My Arms, Your Hearse" heavy guitars and fast drums feel. The first real signs of progressive metal also emerge, with some highly impressive melodic singing being one of the (many) highlights of this song as well as fantastic acoustic riffs, as the songs switches constantly between the chaotic style of the opening and melodic brilliance. Just as you begin to pick your chin off the floor, the absolutely fantastic climax of the song begins - a mix of fantastic speed drumming and delicious black-metal guitarwork. This truly is over 13 minutes of absolute brilliance, and every second of it will hold your attention.

What better way to follow up the two most accessible songs than with the least accessible? The beginning of "A Fair Judgement" couldn't be any further away from the previous two songs, a slow piano beat eventually accompanied by some soft melodic singing lasts for well over a minute before the song gradually kicks off in an unspectacular fashion. To be honest, the previous songs were so like the material on MAYH I was genuinely expecting a false start similar to "When", but thankfully this is where Deliverance becomes a unique and creative album of it's own right. The majority of the vocals are melodic, and even the heavy riffs in this song sounds of progressive metal - so most fans of artists such as Ayreon will regard this song highly right away, whereas people in the same situation as myself will eventually take to it's catchy riffs and soothing vocals over time. This track merely familiarises people with the added progressive elements of Opeth without being overly spectacular, although it has enough bits and bobs to hold your attention the entire time. I am tempted to say it's the weakest song on the album, but that would not be doing it justice as it is still a great song, it just doesn't match up to the impeccable standards of the other 4 main songs.

After the small 2-minute acoustic track "For Absent Friends", the album gets back to it's heavy self with the phenomenal "Masters Apprentices" which sounds like the best of "Deliverance" and "A Fair Judgement" combined, brillaint heavy black-metal riffs and classic growling vocals dominate the song, but some quite bizzare poppy acoustic parts intersect the heavy material to amazing effect. The song gets better and better as it progresses, the vocals progressing slowly towards melodic singing, and then the bizzare acoustic part hits and vocals which I haven't heard the likes of before on any Opeth song are supported by acoustic guitars which wouldn't sound of place on an indie album, one of the best comparisons I've heard of this section of this song compared it the "beach boys" if that's any indication how bizzare it is. Just as you begin to get worried that you're actually loving this part of the song, one of the best moments of the album arrives with vocals and roaring reminiscent of "Demon of the Fall" from "My Arms, Your Hearse" and a dark heavy riff kick in(and finish the song) just to remind you that you are indeed listening to Opeth.

The album draws to a close with the equally brilliant "By The Pain I See In Others" which is the most experimental and creative song on the album, mixing heavy riffs with melodic singing and demonic vocals with soft acoustics at will, random high-speed "helicopter" kickdrums appear throughout as well as brilliant guitar solo's and not to forget another moment of bizzareness which even exceeds the "Beach Boys" part of the previous song, equally weird vocals support carnival style music this time round but it's a brief moment of change this time round. The song goes from strength to stength after this part with more weird progressive interludes appearing throughout as well as odd percussion arrangements, fans of progressive metal will more than likely take to this song more than any other. Unfortunately, the album draws to a dissapointing finish, with the song ending abruptly after just over 9 minutes of a 13 minute track, and the remainder of the song is pretty clichéd random noise(think Motion Picture Soundtrack of "KID A" by Radiohead).

Musically, this is by far the most creative and inventive Opeth album to date, and arguably the best as well but as an album it doesn't have the emotional appeal of some of the other releases. It is far more like "My Arms, Your Hearse" in it's mood, but the resemblences to previous albums end there, the increased progressive influence on the album certainly makes a difference and this album has as distinct a sound as any other. For me this is easily the best album of 2002 and also one of my favourite albums of all time already, and another success story in the Opeth legacy.

Rating: 10/10

Well after 2-3 complete spin in my mp3 player (Dont get me wrong im waiting for the CD in the mail soon :D )
I can say that it's another great Opeth album.

At first i was a bit dissapointed, but i kept in mind that every new Opeth album need more than 1 listen to fully catch the potential of the album...

The first song Wreath is really good, in fact one of the best of the album after the first listen cause it really sound like past Opeth (MAYH, SL). The change here is that instead of the usual smooth opening track, this one start immediately with great catchy and groovy riff...

Second song, the title track "Deliverance", another great song, death-prog at his best with great accoustic part, you can really feel the jazz influence in this one, but what really caught my attention on this track is the ending, the riff is repeated in loop from 10:00 till the end (13:35) listen carefully for the drum track, really tight performance by Martin Lopez here, double bass drum is awesome...cant say anymore you got to listen with your own ears...

Track 3, A Fair Judgement, personally this one is my fav track, a good mix between accoustic and heavy guitar but always going smoothly ... i know it's a matter of taste but i always prefer the mellow Opeth over the heavy one (but i still love and praise their heavy side) and this song is just how i like it catchy and smooth...
thats also why my fac song from Blackwater park is "Harvest"

For absent friend...well it's not a really like a typical Opeth song...more of an interludium...

Masters Apprentice : Again another great song! Start like a more brutal Opeth but then get softer. Regroup almost all Opeth element in this single song...with some unusual part but fit really well! Great song!

By the pain i see in others :
I like the starting riff in this one, this song show a lot the progressive side...and again the drum is incredible!

Definitely the most significant Opeth album for the drum performance!
I cant really say at the moment if i like it more than ... or less than ... but one thing is sure, it's Opeth, so you cant go wrong! My advice : BUY IT!

Yes, it's a very doubly bassy album ain't it. v. cool. I actually found Damnation too soft. I don't think it's quite up to BWP or MAYH in terms of the success of it's heaviness, and the mellow passages sound very slightly forced to me....as if to just fill in some time. But there ya go. It's got a strong atmosphere though, i'd say this is a deeper album than BWP, I especially like the lyrics to Damnation.

Ha-ha, Opeth rule dude, they are the only one's who have this sound, so nothing wrong with repeating themselves. When you are top grade and unique you can make albums that sound similiar. Its too bad that so many lower grade bands also make albums that sound the same, so those bands you only need to own one album of. With Opeth, every album is great, so all are good to own.

generally a good review though i didn't finish it cuz i think reviews should stay somewhat short, and i hate when people give a rundown of every single song. But Opeth are not black metal! They are nothing close to black metal! So STOP CALLING THEM BLACK METAL!

Hilarious.

Opeth

Formed 1990 in Stockholm, Sweden
Years Active
Genres Rock
Styles Symphonic Black Metal, Scandinavian Metal, Progressive Metal, Heavy Metal, Death Metal/Black Metal

I'm not entirely sure of the difference, because I'm not a metalhead..I don't know my doom from my black from my extreme from my death, so I read an interview they did with a magazine called "rock sound" in which they called themselves black progressive metal, then looked at allmusic.com, which is usually spot-on with those descriptions and assumed that's what it was.

Of course now they're saying they are extreme-metal and the fans say they are death metal. No wonder a stranger to the genre would get confused :p

There are elements of black and especially Swedish death in various Opeth songs. Anyone who says there aren't are either not listening hard enough or defining genres extraordinarily narrowly.

After hearing several times (and different types of moods :D) , my decision is that Deliverance is better than Orchid & Still Life , equals to M.A.Y.H & Morningrise, but somewhat under Blackwater Park.

Originally posted by Somberlain
It is funny..Allmusic is barely ever 'spot on'..Symphonic black metal??...they aren't even death metal..

:lol: Write so theirs no black or death metal influences to their music. Yeah I agree the growling parts sound like alternative rock (sarcasm).

I prefer it to Blackwater Park.Not to say that Blackwater Park is bad by any means.My faviroute track is A fair Judgement and hope this is a sign of things to come on Damnation.The only real criticism I have is the end of By the Pain I See in others.At first this seemed original and interesting.But after several listens it just annoys.If it were not for this it would be my faviroute track on the Album
9/10

Of course Opeth are death metal. They're a form of death metal and progressive rock, saying Opeth aren't death metal is like chopping the legs off of a Cheetah and saying it's still the fastest land mammal on earth.

Re-reading this, I couldn't help but notice;

Originally posted by Masters Apprentice

because in "Deliverance" they have finally produced an album which amounts to more than flavour of the week.

Uh, were the previous 5 albums really that short-lived? I don't know about anyone else, but Deliverance is one of my least-listened-to Opeth albums.