My review of Deliverance(long!)

I disagree with part (or most) of that review. Personally, I feel that it's probably on par of Still Life as far as 'emotion' goes (I really don't know how to judge emotion as there are no musical terms that define its presence in music apart from the common 'melody line, acoustic strumming' or whatever). I also believe that A Fair Judgement is their strongest song on the album, because it's something I haven't heard from them previously... I felt I was listening to a progressive-blues Opeth (note the no growls in that song) and it struck me just like the first time The Drapery Falls did.

Wreath and Deliverance are strong songs, but I feel that I have heard material like that from bands in the past, so they don't do much for me. Master's Apprentices was interesting.. on first listen I thought they accidentally renamed a Morbid Angel song... apart from the intro which I never expected to hear from Opeth I think the rest of the song does it quite well aside from that horrendous growling part after the acoustic section which just sounds like bad effects (maybe not? I can't really tell) mixed with forced growling. I think I know what Mikael was trying to achieve with that contrast and admittedly the idea is a good one, although the execution is quite poor.

Overall Deliverance has been quite a ball to listen to.. I feel it fits together better than any previous efforts, it all has a nice 'theme' sound and although some riffs repeat way too many times without variety I think it's the most emotional since Still Life (only BWP to contend with, haha) and I loved hearing the new experimental sounds (yes, even the bongo drums :)).

I think they're all okey and a hella' lot better than britney, a-teens and the other mtv artists.

I disagree. This new old-school rock wave is aweful. Why not listen to the originals like the New York Dolls or MC5 etc instead? Total rip-offs...

ahh..I don't think you can..it's really not that big of a deal I was just being anal. The review section is easy enough to find

:) Good! :)

Originally posted by Moonlapse
I disagree with part (or most) of that review. Personally, I feel that it's probably on par of Still Life as far as 'emotion' goes (I really don't know how to judge emotion as there are no musical terms that define its presence in music apart from the common 'melody line, acoustic strumming' or whatever). I also believe that A Fair Judgement is their strongest song on the album, because it's something I haven't heard from them previously... I felt I was listening to a progressive-blues Opeth (note the no growls in that song) and it struck me just like the first time The Drapery Falls did.

Wreath and Deliverance are strong songs, but I feel that I have heard material like that from bands in the past, so they don't do much for me. Master's Apprentices was interesting.. on first listen I thought they accidentally renamed a Morbid Angel song... apart from the intro which I never expected to hear from Opeth I think the rest of the song does it quite well aside from that horrendous growling part after the acoustic section which just sounds like bad effects (maybe not? I can't really tell) mixed with forced growling. I think I know what Mikael was trying to achieve with that contrast and admittedly the idea is a good one, although the execution is quite poor.

Overall Deliverance has been quite a ball to listen to.. I feel it fits together better than any previous efforts, it all has a nice 'theme' sound and although some riffs repeat way too many times without variety I think it's the most emotional since Still Life (only BWP to contend with, haha) and I loved hearing the new experimental sounds (yes, even the bongo drums :)).
Well, I can say after around 20 uninterrupted listens that this album strikes no emotion in me at all, neither did MAYH for that matter. Morningrise is without a doubt the album I find most emotional, at times I find it to be like Godspeed You Black Emperors stuff with a death/black/progressive style. I guess this album will really appeal to fans who regard MAYH as Opeth's finest work(I'm still stuck between MAYH and Deliverance right now).