Opeth- Ghost of Perdition (Racktifier+TS9)

lolzgreg

Cereal Shipping Sneapster
Dec 17, 2008
Long Beach, New York
Here's a tone test with the new gear:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=913054&content=music

Guitar: Ibanez JS100 w/Dimebucker into TS-9 into Racktifier-> Avatar 1x12. Mic'd with a SM58.

Bass: Fender Marcus Miller Jazz bass with custom preamp->Ampeg SVX

Drums: Superior Drummer 2.0 with the Steven Slate dreamkick sample only.

Metaltastic inspired me to pick up the racktifier so this one is shot at him.:headbang:

Rip it to shreds.

-Greg

hey dude this sound very close to their tone man! wow!

did you mean you used a mesa dual rectifier?:kickass:

Fuck yeah man, this thread title definitely got my attention! I can hear some similarities in the tone (same amp, after all), but while it's a good tone, IMO it's got WAAYYYYY too much grind for the GR tone. Not bad, mind, just more suiting to like Arch Enemy riffing IMO. Glad you're digging the amp though dude, I sure as hell love mine! What speaker is in the Avatar 1x12, and is it front- or rear-mounted?

I can hear some similarities in the tone (same amp, after all), but while it's a good tone, IMO it's got WAAYYYYY too much grind for the GR tone. Not bad, mind, just more suiting to like Arch Enemy riffing IMO. Glad you're digging the amp though dude, I sure as hell love mine!

Yeah, it is a little grindy. I didn't actually have the Ghost of Perdition track on my new comp and I let my friend borrow the cd. I went off of memory only for this one. I had him send me the track this morning and the body and the timbre is all there, it just needs some smooothin out.

What speaker is in the Avatar 1x12, and is it front- or rear-mounted?

Hellatone 60L (slightly different dustcap and low-end tailoring than the V30) front mounted (take that, boxiness!) I haven't found all front mounted speakers to be boxy. I'm surprised your Stilleto Cab has such a bad case of the sheepies! :lol:

-Greg

hey sorry dude i only realised now that that it's you greg! hahahahahaha
how have u been lately man? dude if i listen to this mix, your mixes has drastically improved from what i've heard on RecordingReview! well done dude! this sounds amazing!

Haha, well my Stiletto cab isn't front-mounted, so I don't find it boxy, but rather wooly (took me a sec to get "the sheepies" :lol: ) - but yeah, this sounds good, though I should mention the kick is too clicky, and the ride too loud, so I find the guitars kind of obscured; maybe with the guitars by themselves I'd hear the boxiness to validate my opinions, yeah, let's go with that! :D Also, the bass is a bit loud IMO

From what I understand, the Hellatone 60L is the broken in version of the vintage 30 used in the mode 4 cabs. I could be wrong! They are definitely real vintage 30s though. I peeled the sticker off of mine to check, lol.

Gonna listen to this when I get home.

-Joe

hey sorry dude i only realised now that that it's you greg! hahahahahaha
how have u been lately man? dude if i listen to this mix, your mixes has drastically improved from what i've heard on RecordingReview! well done dude! this sounds amazing!

Thanks Heinrich. This was a no effort mix. I think I've really started to get the hang of this mixing stuff. :headbang:

I shot you a message on one of your threads when I said "long time no talk," but apparently you weren't paying attention :loco:

though I should mention the kick is too clicky, and the ride too loud, so I find the guitars kind of obscured; maybe with the guitars by themselves I'd hear the boxiness to validate my opinions, yeah, let's go with that! :D Also, the bass is a bit loud IMO

As I mentioned, I didn't have the song as a reference. I would say this is a good shot SOLEY from memory :cool:

I mixed this how I would mix normally. I think the bass really has it's space in this. The rectifier lets me let it sit at a medium volume and still be heard(btw this was my FIRST EVER recording with the amp: I had my 1x12 inside my home made iso-box all set up and just plugged it in and pressed record!)

-Greg

Well actually, my comments on the stuff (besides the guitars) were based just on my own opinions of levels/tonalities, rather than their similarity to the album ;) Looking forward to hearing more!

From what I understand, the Hellatone 60L is the broken in version of the vintage 30 used in the mode 4 cabs. I could be wrong! They are definitely real vintage 30s though. I peeled the sticker off of mine to check, lol.

Hellatone 60 = broken in Celestion Vintage 30

Hellatone 60L = broken in Celestion Vintage MF

"pecially designed to handle the extreme low end that dropped D, D-tuning and C-tuning guitarists demand... engineered to reproduce the balanced mid range and huge bottom end that are a pre-requisite for extreme hard rock and nu-metal sounds"

pics